Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike G.
United States
Newbury
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played BSG 3 times now, never played with Pegasus. My gaming pal is coming over on Friday; he has the base game and Pegasus, though he's yet to play with the expansion. There were going to be six of us that evening, a mix of gamers and casual gamers.

Then my partner told me that she invited another friend, who may or may not come. So the question is, is the 7 player game the way to go? Or should we disinvite the last person so we can play with 6. This wouldn't be awkward to do at all, I'm pretty sure.

What y'all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i only played with six, but i would be VERY excited to play with seven.
i had the impression play flowed very smoothly, and one human more could not hurt the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's two PBF games going on BSG 25 & BSG 36 with 7 players. Ok, BSG 25 ended last night. 7 players was no worry. A lot of fun really!

The issue is the Cylon leader MUST be an experienced BSG player. And you MUST choose a Leader to play 7. Though you could just house-rule 3 Cylon Loyalty cards out of the 14 otherwise.

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with seven once and it worked out pretty well. Obviously the standard large-game vs. small-game caveats (fewer actions per player, lengthier playtime) apply, as do the Cylon Leader issues (imbalanced agendas).

I don't feel that Pegasus plays any worse with seven than with six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only caveat I would have is with casual players who have not played BSG before, Pegasus might be a little to much at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 players is usually a pretty good time. I've had 3 games of them now (not with the expansion, however).

3 full blooded cylons and 4 humans. And we make sure that 1 cylon card doesn't get dealt out until the sleeper phase so that the humans don't get a triple blow right away.

Also we use the sharon cards as NOT A CYLON cards so players can select any character they want and we gave the 7th player an extra skill card because of the long wait around the table.

We also buffered all the resources by 1 in our last 7 player game and it went right down to the wire.

I'd highly recommend it ONLY if most of you are experienced players. Otherwise the game can drag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G.
United States
Newbury
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nilus wrote:
The only caveat I would have is with casual players who have not played BSG before, Pegasus might be a little to much at once.

Eppic wrote:
7 players is usually a pretty good time. I've had 3 games of them now (not with the expansion, however).

I'd highly recommend it ONLY if most of you are experienced players. Otherwise the game can drag.

Good points. Most of the players will be casual who haven't played before. Now I'm leaning away from playing with Pegasus and sticking with 6 players to avoid a loooong, drawn out game that will turn people off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you, I'd stick with 6, using the No Sympathizer variant so there's no intentional red-zoning of resources, include the new characters (except the Cylon Leaders), include Pegasus and the new cards that come with it (remember to throw out the old Investigative Committee skill cards as they've been errata'ed), but play the Kobol Destination instead of doing New Caprica. That seems to be the prevailing way to get all the good stuff that Pegasus provides while keeping the game simple for new players.

And whatever you do, MAKE SURE YOU SHUFFLE THE CRISIS DECK THOROUGHLY. I personally try to distribute the Cylon Attacks, Events, and Skill Checks in an even fashion throughout the deck:

1) Separate out the Cylon Attack cards, Events, and Skill Checks into separate decks. Shuffle each deck independently.
2) Deal from each deck into 4-6 piles. When you run out of one deck, pick right up with the next deck, until you've dealt out all the cards into the 4-6 piles.
3) Shuffle each pile in and of itself, then stack them arbitrarily on top of each other.

You tend to get a better distribution this way, as Launch Scout and Roslin effects tend to leave the deck saturated in an undesirable way, and can affect a standard shuffle. Plus, trying to shuffle the entire deck at one time (PLUS the Pegasus cards) is troubling, and impossible if you've sleeved your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Stevenhagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
There's two PBF games going on BSG 25 & BSG 36 with 7 players. Ok, BSG 25 ended last night. 7 players was no worry. A lot of fun really!

The issue is the Cylon leader MUST be an experienced BSG player. And you MUST choose a Leader to play 7. Though you could just house-rule 3 Cylon Loyalty cards out of the 14 otherwise.

Gerry

You missed game 33(b) for this.

When playing with a leader, I actually prefer 7 players over 5 as you basically always want 2 hidden cylons. That way if you discover 1 hidden cylon, the humans still have one other cylon to worry about (instead of being able to completely trust eachother and XO all over the place).

I strongly agree with the part of letting an experienced player play the cylon leader. Agenda's are a lot more difficult to accomplish then just the basic victory conditions.

3 cylons seems a bit to much for me. You don't really want that many cylons, even if you force one to be a sleeper. I'd actually make it so that two out of three would be sleepers as I think just adding one postsleeper cylon changes the balance more in favor of the cylons than a leader with a hostile agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I've played standard BSG with 7, before Pegasus came out. There's enough loyalty cards as long as both Baltar and Boomer aren't selected. We used 3 Cylons -- I find the pattern established for 3-6 player games scales just fine. I will point out that with 7 players you can easily go through a whole jump cycle before it gets around to your turn again, so pilots who don't get XO'd can easily end up launching and never getting into the fight before a jump, and Cylons who decide to wait one more turn before revealing will find that the best time to stick the knife already came and went.

It can be a very long game with new players, and there's a lot of down time between turns (at least it *seems* like it, but then there's the skill checks about every turn), so if your gaming group is as riddled with ADD as mine is, I don't know if I'd recommend it. If you can keep people from leaving the table to fix popcorn and getting lost in a conversation with the other player who's coming back from the bathroom (and things like that) it'll play 7 just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:

Gerry

I'm not sure I would point to our game (36) as a good example, since it is by far the craziest game I've ever played.

Other than that I would echo what other people have said, insofar as a 7 player game can have a lot of downtime between turns, so it's really best to have experienced players, otherwise it can drag quite a bit and lose momentum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 6 players, each player got between 5 to 6 turn, so there is more "downtime" to contend with. IIRC, this game we did finish, as opposed to ending early with a cylon victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.