Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised, the second deck for Pandemic: End Day is finally ready. Some of these cards are meant for use with Pandemic: On The Brink, but the rest can be used without that expansion.

What's in the deck?

- 20 Roles
9 new roles (Virologist, Sympathizer, General, Pilot, Crisis Manager, Hematologist, Pantologist, and Terrorist).

The Terrorist is a team mate for the Bio-Terrorist (used for 2 against 2 game). The Terrorist takes a turn in sequence like a normal player (as opposed to the Bio-Terrorist who goes after every player). The Bio-Terrorist does not, however, get to go after the Terrorist's turn.

The Terrorist is a trouble maker. He gets a card on his turn to add to his hand. He can use the card for travel, and that's it. But, if he's holding it, the other players can't use it. The Terrorist can only hold 5 cards and can NOT hold Special Event cards. When the Terrorist discards, it is always to the bottom of the player deck. Additionally, at the end of his turn, the Terrorist draws 2 cards but places 1 on the bottom of the deck (the other goes into his hand, if possible).

The Terrorist also help the Bio-Terrorist to sabotage Research Stations. Normally the BT must be in the city, but on his turn, he can perform this action if the Terrorist is in the city. That is one of the main functions of the Terrorist.

Counter-balancing that a little is the fact that the Terrorist can't enter a city with another player's pawn (too much security around our heroic scientists). Likewise, no other player (including the Bio-Terrorist) can enter a city with the Terrorist (too dangerous). If the Terrorist inadvertently enters a city with the BT, he is spotted immediately. If he ends his turn in the city the BT, then the Bio-Terrorist is captured (place his pawn on his own card).

- Alternate versions of all the official Pandemic roles.

I have a few ways to incorporating these alternate roles (2 new Global Parameters refer to them), they can also just be used for a change of pace.

- 12 Severity Index cards

These are cards that get shuffled into the Infection Deck to (you guessed it) make the game even harder. However, a couple of these cards can also make the game easier, so it's just one more way to adjust the challenge. When one comes up, it goes into the discard pile and gets shuffled back to the top of the deck after an Epidemic.

- 12 Research Station cards

I picked up a dozen colored houses just like the ones in Pandemic from http://www.boardsandbits.com/index.php for very cheap, and as a result I made a set of special Research Station cards. When you build a station, draw a card at random to see what kind of station you ended up with (most give you extra abilities, but some are risky). You can also draw one for the Station in Atlanta at the start of the game, or simply assign it the "Standard Station" card, which has no abilities.

- The Zombie Challenge

The craziest new thing in Pandemic: End Day is the Zombie Challenge. Every time we play Pandemic, someone says "we need to add zombies to this some way". So, that's what I've done.

The Zombie Challenge is a little like the Bio-Terrorist challenge, in that it pits one player against the others.

Like the BT, the Zombie player goes after each other player. He only gets 2 actions per turn, and can only do each one of them once (so he can't move 2 cities away, for instance). The Zombie Challenge uses the purple cubes and can't be combined with the BT or Mutation challenges.

The Zombie player starts the game with 3 purple cubes in his personal supply, and is placed in a random city (from the Infection deck after initial infection- and this card is discarded as well).

The Zombie player slowly moves around the board, and either places one of his limited supply of purple cubes in a city, draws another cube to add to his supply, or draws an infection card.

The Zombie player can do a few things with Infection cards, once he accumulates enough. With 2 cards, he can move his pawn to another location on the board, with restrictions. One of the Infection cards must either be a city with a purple cube in it, which is the one he can move his pawn to, or must be the city he is in, in which case he can move anywhere. The other card doesn't matter, but both are discarded.

With 3 Infection cards of the same color, the Zombie player can "Overrun a Research Station" in a city where his pawn is (removing it from the game), or "Infect another player".

That player sets aside his or her role card and gets one of the three different Infect role cards.

Once infected, that player only has 2 actions per turn. He or she remains infected until their pawn is at a Research Station AND another player's pawn is there as well (to help administer an antidote). To make matters worse for that player, they can only be cured at a Research Station in a city that has its colored diseased cured. For example, if Jeff is Infected, he must get to the Research Station in Kinshasa, since the Yellow disease is the only that is cured. On top of which, once he starts moving, he can't enter any city with a purple cube, or else he is eliminated from the game.

Mixed into the Player deck are 6 Zombie Event cards. 5 make things worse for the players, but the other is a helper card.

Players do not need to find a cure for the purple disease to win. Just the normal 4 cures. The purple cubes, however, are wild, and once on the board they count as all 4 colors. Thus, if a city has 2 blue cubes and purple, and either a blue or purple cube are added, it outbreaks in blue. Note, even if a city has 2 purple and 1 blue and a purple is added, it outbreaks in blue.

So far in the test games, it's been pretty close. The Zombie player is very slow at the start, and the other players easily avoid him. But they don't know what cards he's hold, and suddenly he can spring some sudden horrors on the players.

Still, I recognize that this is a pretty crazy variant for Pandemic, and won't be everyone's cup o tea. I hope people will give it a try, because I'd love more feedback on it- I'm open to suggestions as always.

http://www.artscow.com/share/7ioktxilxeo6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered both decks. I will post some session reports after trying these things out! (never done a session report before, but I think this will be a good time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bolduan
United States
Richfield
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We met at GenCon during the Cosmic Encounter game (and went out to dinner) when you showed me these cards. I've been meaning to e-mail you again to ask the two places you like buy them, but obviously this would be one of the two. I just ordered a set for myself as well, I'll let you know what people think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, the other place is Superior POD: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/427619
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game tonight with the Research Station cards, and it totally rocked. This is one of my favorite parts of this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
Are you planning to upload an instruction booklet for End Day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Killeen
United States
Shrewsbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Really cool variants!! How can you get the first set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
610jajaja wrote:
Hey, Really cool variants!! How can you get the first set?

Link to deck 1

http://www.artscow.com/share/1o5cfc10faj9

and here is the link to his other varient

Threat level 6
http://www.artscow.com/share/8070gx294emt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I just started working on an instruction booklet... though it's a bit longer than the first one, so I am not sure I can fit it all in a pocket mod... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
I like the research station cards. Some say "Sharing knowledge at this station does not require taking an action." Wouldn't that be limited to one card - for the city containing the research station? (Unless you are the researcher.) Or is it implied that other cards can be exchanged there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Research Station that opens up the Share Knowledge ability (pictured above), and another where that action is free (but still limited to normal rules). So, yes the city where the station is, the Researcher, the Epidemiologist, and some other custom roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Santpoort-Zuid
a nice small town near the sea
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RWC2015: Can't wait for it to start.
mbmbmbmbmb
Received mine today!
Ordered them November 4th and I was getting worried they might have gotten lost in the mail. I wrote ArtsCow Friday about it and than today they suddenly arrived. The poasted them November 11th, so it took the letter 5 weeks to get here!

Bet the cards look great
Can't wait testing them.

Thanks Jack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Killeen
United States
Shrewsbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Santpoort-Zuid
a nice small town near the sea
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RWC2015: Can't wait for it to start.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you add a number or letter on the research station cards?
It will be hard to find little houses like you did in those exact same colors (and it's sometimes hard to see the difference between red and dark red and pink and purple). We could then just paint that number or letter on the research stations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
Could you add a number or letter on the research station cards?
It will be hard to find little houses like you did in those exact same colors (and it's sometimes hard to see the difference between red and dark red and pink and purple). We could then just paint that number or letter on the research stations...

That's not a bad idea. It is done.

http://www.artscow.com/share/7ioktxilxeo6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on a time frame for the rule book for this?

Your work is awesome Warp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logan_mann wrote:

I spent a lot of time nudging and resizing in an effort to fit it all on one Pocketmod page, but it was folly. I am returning everything to a proper size and font and going with two pages. It can't be helped (too many darn cards!). So, the first page is done, and I'm working on the second one. Should be uploaded within a week's time (and then pending approval).

Word out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
logan_mann wrote:

I spent a lot of time nudging and resizing in an effort to fit it all on one Pocketmod page, but it was folly. I am returning everything to a proper size and font and going with two pages. It can't be helped (too many darn cards!). So, the first page is done, and I'm working on the second one. Should be uploaded within a week's time (and then pending approval).

Word out!

Thanks, I've got all the decks you've done so far for Pandemic, they are great! I greatly appreciate all your hard work. Know that it brings much enjoyment to those of us who have these decks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here are the PocketMod rules: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52035/end-day-rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hill
United States
portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
wanted to say thanks for your work on this
my friends find pandemic to be a challenging game
and enjoyed the previous additions you have made
thanks again
eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tellier
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool and great work!! Already have my cards from Artscow.

But, it would be cool if someone can make a Zombie theme board for you Zombie variant. The main board by zombie standards is too clean and cheerful. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tellier
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K F
msg tools
would you mind pointing us to where on bits and boards you found the house pieces? I am having trouble finding them for use with your expansion. Just ordered both sets as well, btw, very excited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a couple places:

Game Crafter sells parts: http://thegamecrafter.com/shop/game-parts?func=view;pn=2

Spielmaterial (under buildings): http://www.spielmaterial.de/english/

RPG shop: http://www.rpgshop.com/accessories/boardgame-parts/small-woo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.