Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Plano storage boxes in the UK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Avann
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone help me please?

I have seen lots of posts on the forums from gamers in the USA saying that they use Plano brand storage boxes for game components. Does anyone in the UK know of a good source for these boxes?

I tend to sleeve a lot of my cards [I blame Magic for that] and then I find that my games won't go back into the boxes or plastic insert tray afterwards. Grrrr. As a result I want to dump a lot of the insert trays and keep the game components and/or cards in a Plano type tray within the original game boxes.

So, anyone know of a good Plano supplier in the UK? I'm willing to order an assortment of sizes and then see which sizes fit by trial and error.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
England
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a few Plano style boxes from HobbyCraft. Perhaps you might try your local store.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Avann
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudhoney wrote:
I bought a few Plano style boxes from HobbyCraft. Perhaps you might try your local store.


Thanks for the fast response, I have a HobbyCraft shop about half an hour away so I think I'll try that at the weekend. Looking at their online catalogue it seems that they have a selection of sizes.

Thanks again,

Steve
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbycraft seem to stock them sporadically, and only limited items from the range. Fishing tackle suppliers are a better bet - I've ordered boxes from Summerlands Tackle a couple of times. Though if you order enough, a bit order from the US was the cheapest way of getting them when I bought a boxful last year (though the pound was stronger against the dollar back then).

http://www.summerlands.co.uk/
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Avann
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Hobbycraft seem to stock them sporadically, and only limited items from the range. Fishing tackle suppliers are a better bet - I've ordered boxes from Summerlands Tackle a couple of times. Though if you order enough, a bit order from the US was the cheapest way of getting them when I bought a boxful last year (though the pound was stronger against the dollar back then).

http://www.summerlands.co.uk/


Great, thanks Richard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudhoney wrote:
I bought a few Plano style boxes from HobbyCraft. Perhaps you might try your local store.


I must have missed these everytime I happened to have been in Hobbycraft. Lately they have seem to have focused on the "Really Useful" range.

As Richard D mentioned fishing tackle shops are a good option - although personally have found that their stocks are not always what they say there are (can't speak for Summerlands however).

Best sucess for me has been ebay - but you have to be patient and know what you are looking for.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Lowe
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use organisers from homebase. They're probably meant for storing screws etc, and come in a wide variety of sizes. You can buy 'em singly, or get a better price if you buy multi-packs.

I've tried to find 'em on their web-site to post a url, but no luck.

Gerry.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Wright
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Plano" is a brand name for fishing tackle storage boxes, and as a brand name tend to be a bit more expensive than their generic counterparts. Personally I use the "Bass Pro Shops" version they're much larger for the same price as a Plano 3500, however they won't fit in a standard FFG game box. They do make different sizes though, I have a few different sizes and one of them fits perfectly in the FFG standard box. I know you live in the UK and "Bass Pro Shops" might not be an option but I also found some half descent knock-offs and dollar stores, hardware stores and craft stores
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It *is* an option (I know it is - Bass Pro was one of the places that I ordered tackle boxes from in the past), but you have to figure in shipping and taxes. It was still worth it when we were getting $2=£1; I don't know whether it's still a viable option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
The survivalaids site seems to be parked. If you get it back, you could think about stocking Plano 3701s which are popular among Advanced Squad Leader players, and are difficult to source in Europe. (3700s are not a good substitute.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ConG wrote:
The survivalaids site seems to be parked. If you get it back, you could think about stocking Plano 3701s which are popular among Advanced Squad Leader players, and are difficult to source in Europe. (3700s are not a good substitute.)
It's spam.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also use Plano-style boxes for game components, and can vouch that the HobbyCraft boxes are good.

HobbyCraft: Compartmentalised Storage Boxes

They come in various sizes, with removable inserts so you can make the individual compartments as big/small as you like, and each compartment has a rounded bottom, making it really easy to get items out of them.

A slightly more expensive box is the Really Useful Box from Staples, but these are slightly larger, or you can get the storage trays to fit in them, but these don't have lids.

Staples: Really Useful Box Storage Tray

Hope you find what you're looking for!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get mine from clas ohlson. They do a really good one with movable dividers for £1.99 or 10 for £16.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found in the U.S. that these kinds of boxes/organizers are much cheaper in hardware stores (e.g., Home Depot, Lowes) than hobby or sporting goods stores (e.g., Dicks, Michaels). They are near the tool boxes. It might be the same in the UK. The Husky 7 inch organizer below is $1.97 at Home Depot.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
I also use Plano-style boxes for game components, and can vouch that the HobbyCraft boxes are good.

HobbyCraft: Compartmentalised Storage Boxes

They come in various sizes, with removable inserts so you can make the individual compartments as big/small as you like, and each compartment has a rounded bottom, making it really easy to get items out of them.

A slightly more expensive box is the Really Useful Box from Staples, but these are slightly larger, or you can get the storage trays to fit in them, but these don't have lids.

Staples: Really Useful Box Storage Tray

Hope you find what you're looking for!


Hobbycraft boxes are good - but the plano 3600 (which I use for several games) has double the number of divisions to the hobbycraft boxes - which is almost essential when trying to organise SMALLWORLD.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plano-Model-3600-Tackle-Box-275mm-...

This is for the Plano 3600 - which will fit inside a standard Days of Wonder Box (e.g. for Smallworld)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.