Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Ma! They done killed Rando!"
mbmbmbmbmb
(Since I'm not going to write a strategy guide yet, but I want to muse about the game ... without giving much away).

* The Zen master does not require actions. You are not a master.

* The Novice has most buildings; the Master, VPs.

* A fakir produced a rabbit from nothing, then made it disappear. The Master nodded, approvingly, while the crowd gawked.

* A novice won the "Residential or Special" auction cheaply while holding the necessary resources. After he could not buy his building, he achieved enlightenment. Then he lost.

* There is 250% interest on debt silver, none on VPs. Buddha provides.

* A novice tried to sell the master a gold nugget for 5 Silver. The master bought it for seven. At this, the novice was enlightened.

* "Enlightenment requires seeing the world as it could be," said the Master through a mouthful of pine.

* A merchant walked by with a jingling bag of silver. After the master took pity and gave him an alm, he achieved enlightenment.

* A novice asked the master, "How do I become enlightened?" The master pointed to a nearby port -- "How many VPs is that worth?" he asked. "Zero" said the novice. The master shook his head. "Three?" said the novice, more tentatively. The master shook his head. At each guess, the master shook his head. After hundreds of guesses, the novice grew impatient and yelled. "One of those must be the right answer!" "But how will you know when you have not yet looked at the river?" At this, the novice gained insight; but not enlightenment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol!

Man, some of those...are they even meant to mean anything at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

The Master laughs at the questions of the Novice, then gains insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

The Master laughs at the questions of the Novice, then gains insight.

Ah, but it appears the master asked the novice, and the novice knew not. At this the novice gained insight. Yet the master became enlightened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But he is the Koan interpretation master, and like a novice, I suck at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wilhm
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just one big inside joke, isn't it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No ... it's posted at the forums!

To be fair, I do have real points behind these, but I wasn't kidding when I said I was being obscure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
No ... it's posted at the forums!

To be fair, I do have real points behind these, but I wasn't kidding when I said I was being obscure.

Its true, he explained them to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wilhm
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like these koans are referring to what happened during playtesting...but since the designer and publisher were the only two responding, it also seemed like a big inside joke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few make sense.

"* The Novice has most buildings; the Master, VPs."

It's vp's that count, not buildings, so don't get caught up in having to win a bid each round. Passing and not overbidding can be huge.

"* A novice won the "Residential or Special" auction cheaply while holding the necessary resources. After he could not buy his building, he achieved enlightenment. Then he lost."

Make sure you've got a backup plan, because if you've won auction 2 or 3, someone might build that building you want before you get the chance. Nothing worse than not being able to build when it's your turn and you just paid a bunch of cash for nothing.

The rest are just mumbo jumbo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:

* The Zen master does not require actions. You are not a master.

this one IS an inside joke. It just means that 'Trades' were called 'Actions' in playtesting. He is apparently not making a claim that Trades arent important.

Quote:

* A fakir produced a rabbit from nothing, then made it disappear. The Master nodded, approvingly, while the crowd gawked.

References the fact that you can use trades to get the resources you need, right before you build.

Quote:

* "Enlightenment requires seeing the world as it could be," said the Master through a mouthful of pine.

Remember that trades can allow you to build a variety of buildings.

The others are more obscure.

Quote:

* A merchant walked by with a jingling bag of silver. After the master took pity and gave him an alm, he achieved enlightenment.

Dont only make silver - you need resources to build as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.