Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
190 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

1830: Railways & Robber Barons» Forums » News

Subject: 1830 Second Edition - Arriving March 17, 2011 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 18xx [+] reprint [+] tresham [+] holy_grail [+] copyright_FUD [+] [View All]
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update 4: Dec 23, 2010
An early Christmas present (or a late Hanukkah present, or an early...)

Boardgames in Blighty is reporting that Mayfair has sent 1830 to the presses and is expected in stores March 17, 2011.

http://rivcoach.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/news-from-mayfair-g...

Update 3: Aug 17, 2010
Hanno Girke of Lookout Games says it's been delayed... looks like 2011 now

No info as to the nature of the delay.

Update 2: May 25, 2010
BGG's own Morgan Dontanville (sisteray) works for Mayfair Games on the 1830 project has provided some additional details in these posts:

Regarding who's involved:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5048826#5048826

Regarding the track tiles:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5050924#5050924

Regarding gameplay compatibility with the Avalon Hill 1830 edition:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5065588#5065588

---

Update: February 17, 2010
It looks like it's official but there's still not a whole lot of information.

boardgamenews wrote:
Francis Tresham’s 1830 will appear in a new edition in Q3/Q4 2010, but Mayfair’s Larry Roznai says that the exact composition of the game – that is, whether it will be changed from the original Avalon Hill publication – is still being finalized. The most important update, from his point of view, will be a set of rules that allows someone to learn 1830 out of the box. That’s the plan anyway.

Just a clarification since some have asked; Q3 and Q4 mean Quarter 3 and Quarter 4.

Translated to months, the third quarter is July-September and the fourth quarter is October-December.

Therefore Q3/Q4 2010 equates to July-December 2010.

See here for the full article: http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

---

I had seen the comments that Mayfair was thinking about reprinting 1830, but nothing really definitive.

Then, I saw this comment in an 1825 Unit 1 discussion on the availability of expansions (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4286236#4286236):

keiththomasson wrote:
Regarding an earlier comment about how Hasbro rarely give up rights, the 18xx rights were part of the package of computer stuff sold to Infogrames some time ago, and they probably had no idea what they had with that. As far as I know it was from them that it was finally extracted.

Mayfair are now open about the fact that they plan to republish 1830 in 2010. The reason 1853 came out first is that this project was started by Lookout Games, with Mayfair joining in to manage the English language side, so this doesn't really count as part of their overall plan.

Does anyone have more definitive info as to the plans?

Is it going to be a straight reprint?

Is Francis Tresham involved?

Is Bruce Shelley involved?

Will any expansions be included?

Are there any plans for expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Re: Reprint of 1830 coming in 2010
Gah. And I just bought a pricey copy a few months ago.

Oh well, I am sure I will get plenty of play out if it before the reprint is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo! Good timing as I have just started thinking about dabbling in the 18xx series & it seems as if 1830 is regarded as one of the best of them, if not the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Woo! Good timing as I have just started thinking about dabbling in the 18xx series & it seems as if 1830 is regarded as one of the best of them, if not the best.

I first played 1830 when it originally came out and loved the mechanics. I recently traded Pampas Railroads for 1825 Unit 1 and ended up getting the rest of the series (Units 2 & 3 + expansions).

I really like the mechanisms in 1825. The feel is different from 1830, and I would consider 1825 to be a better starting point as an intro to the 18xx series since it doesn't have the stock market manipulation that 1830 has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Eh, the stock market manipulations are half the fun of the 18XX series. I recently dabbled a bit into games with more sedate stock markets and I do not plan to revisit them. 1830 is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:

Me too, me too... Worst timing possible, I'd say, but otherwise excellent news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
doubtofbuddha wrote:

Me too, me too... Worst timing possible, I'd say, but otherwise excellent news.

The same thing happened with Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I'm not planning on selling mine though. I have a particular fondness for the AH version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certainly not selling mine until it's confirmed that the game will be the exact same as the one Bruce Shelley did such excellent development work on. I truly hope they don't change one thing, the game is awesome the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
jschlickbernd wrote:
I'm certainly not selling mine until it's confirmed that the game will be the exact same as the one Bruce Shelley did such excellent development work on. I truly hope they don't change one thing, the game is awesome the way it is.

I have hopes that they'll bundle Coalfields with base 1830. If so, I'd also expect to see the supply of #7, #8 and #9 tiles increased (simple yellow track), as Coalfields can really chew through them and base 1830 is largely unconstrained there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:

Including some of the expansions such as 1830: Take A Ride on the Reading and 1830: The Coalfields would be a start. Or, even like FFG did when they reprinted Talisman and then started in with the expansions.

Of course, that leads to the next question of what exactly Mayfair has secured the rights to. Was it 1830 alone or 1830 + some of the expansions (like those done by Alan Moon).

Either way, I think it's a great thing that it's being reprinted since that will breathe some life into this great game. Although recent work such as Peter Mumford's (photocurio) map re-draw series have been fantastic.

If you have the game and haven't checked them out see here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/47684

One other thing I'd love to see is certificates of the old railroads that look like their historical certificates. Any copyright associated with such old scrip (1800's era) is devoid of copyright now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Very good news indeed. Hopefully it pans out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news indeed, if true...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Sohn
United States
culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:

I wish a double sided, blank map on the back would be nice. This way you can design your own scenarios. This would be like the random setup that the 1830 PC games has.

With the active bgg 18xx players, some interesting scenarios would come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
This is welcome news, even if it is unofficial. I knew this would be coming out - but it was just going to take a little time. Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaosbreaker wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

I wish a double sided, blank map on the back would be nice. This way you can design your own scenarios. This would be like the random setup that the 1830 PC games has.

I dunno, 18xxers didn't react well to 18Kit, a 18xx with a modular map. They all didn't like the fact that the map would change from one game to another, not letting the players get used to the specificities of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chaosbreaker wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

The computer game generates random maps and if there was a blank one, then people who had the computer game could transfer good random maps from the computer version to the board game.

When I said I wanted nothing to change, I meant I didn't want them to change the base game. Additions are always welcome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not particularly surprising, but certainly good news. I unloaded my 1830 only because the resale value was high enough for me to not be able to justify keeping it as a high scale only option. An inexpensive reprint will mean that this will almost assuredly make it back into my collection as it really is a solid title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Noe
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
BillJ1967 wrote:
This is welcome news, even if it is unofficial. I knew this would be coming out - but it was just going to take a little time. Very cool!

I had stopped by Mayfair's booth at Gen Con Indy this last summer (2009) just before my first play of 1830 since I know it was out of print. They had said they were in the works of re-printing it, along with a number of other 18xx titles. Since at the time I hadn't played 18xx yet, I didn't ask a lot of details, although now I wish I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schuwa wrote:
They had said they were in the works of re-printing it, along with a number of other 18xx titles.

Did they say, which other titles they want to reprint? 1835?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brauerle wrote:
schuwa wrote:
They had said they were in the works of re-printing it, along with a number of other 18xx titles.

1853 for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schuwa wrote:
BillJ1967 wrote:

I had stopped by Mayfair's booth at Gen Con Indy this last summer (2009) just before my first play of 1830 since I know it was out of print. They had said they were in the works of re-printing it, along with a number of other 18xx titles. Since at the time I hadn't played 18xx yet, I didn't ask a lot of details, although now I wish I had.

I heard a rumor about this 3-4 years ago. Is it still a rumor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
No mention of it on Gone Cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like the Up Front reprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Noe
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
bauerle wrote:

No. It was one person working the booth who said it and I didn't ask details. I wish I could remember his name, but his description was easy to remember: Heavy set gentleman, wearing overalls with a conductor hat. Glasses. Large, long curly beard down to the abdomen. I don't know if people know the Mayfair people well enough (I certainly do not) to know who this might be. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Cavedod_pdx wrote:
I heard a rumor about this 3-4 years ago. Is it still a rumor?

I honestly don't know. Always a possibility, as rumors are rampant. I'm nowhere near an official source, so like all things, what gets reported (even from me modest ) should be taken with a hefty grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
mbmb
rvinyard wrote:
brauerle wrote:
schuwa wrote:

1853 for sure

Definitely not. Lookout Games is reprinting 1853.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.