Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
Give a man fire and he's warm for the day. Set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielCG wrote:
anomander64 wrote:
I would hope the admins would not approve the badges without a poll.

Did you read the instructions in the first page:

cscottk wrote:

The new process will be as follows:

1. Search the current microbadges and make sure you are not duplicating an already existing badge.
2. Create your badge. The badge must have a TRANSPARENT background.
3. Upload the badge using the tool (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/create), and in the Admin notes, post a link to where you posted your badge in this thread for community discussion.
4. After a period of time (a week or so depending on the amount of discussion), the badge should be approved. Your peers will be driving this process. Not me. I am just a gatekeeper.

Like all things on BGG, this is an evolving process. Please bear with me as we try to streamline this as we go along. I fully expect the first month or two after the re-emergence of badges to be swamped with new ones. We have been without new microbadges for a long time, and folks are suffering withdrawal symptoms. Remember, I am only one person, so the initial backlog may be long. So be patient.

Back to some basics. Here are the current rules to microbadges:

• First, if you do not recall, here is the link to microbadge basics: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Microbadge
• Before creating a new badge, please make sure it is not already in the system.
• As usual, microbadges should be appropriate for the site.
• Please make sure you are happy with your badge before you upload it. I can fix badges later, but it is a manual process.
• Have fun and be nice to each other.

Yes, I did. I suppose I have a naive expectation that everyone will follow protocol and good practice by posting to this forum first, gaining tacit approval.

Evidently, this in not the case.

IMO, step 3 is arse about. "3. Upload the badge using the tool (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/create), and in the Admin notes, post a link to where you posted your badge in this thread for community discussion."

I believe it should read; "3. Post your badge in this thread for community discussion before uploading the badge using the tool (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/create). Make sure you include a link to any approval poll in the Admin notes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
mbmb
anomander64 wrote:
I believe it should read; "3. Post your badge in this thread for community discussion before uploading the badge using the tool (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/create). Make sure you include a link to any approval poll in the Admin notes."
The bit about polls notwithstanding, I agree. That really should be more clear about posting a design for feedback before uploading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc de Bruyn
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The current Toronto Blue Jays fan microbadge uses the terrible logo that the Jays have finally discarded in favor of their updated old-school look. For those who want to display their affection for the sole surviving baseball team north of the border, I've made this.

Name/Mouseover: Toronto Blue Jays fan
Category: Sports/Baseball/MLB - Major League Baseball (North America)

Poll
Should this badge be accepted?
Yes
No
Needs Work
      5 answers
Poll created by dbldown11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soliciting critiques on this proposed microbadge for fantasy author Joe Abercrombie:

Based on the press photo found in the upper left at this page. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
Give a man fire and he's warm for the day. Set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I understand there are some experienced and long-standing designers whose badges are of an exceptionally high standard (garion and indigo immediately spring to mind).

However, I believe this forum serves several basic purposes:

1: A standard process new users can easily follow and gain feedback and/or guidance from more experienced designers

2: As a courtesy, to display your badges and skill to the general community (I've learnt a lot from seeing and investigating other people's badges)

3: Visibility of available badges. I've purchased several badges just because I saw them here, otherwise I would never have known about them.

4: Consistency and quality. The peer review process ensure sub-standard badges are rejected or improved before submission.

5: Community involvement. Everyone is able to express their opinion and or vote upon the suitability of proposed badges, not just the quality.

I'm sure there are more benefits (as well as deficits), and I don't want to subvert the submission of new badges by introducing unnecessary bureaucracy, but I think this forum assumes a certain place in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
Soliciting critiques on this proposed microbadge for fantasy author Joe Abercrombie:

Based on the press photo found in the upper left at this page. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Can you edit out the fingers resting on his chin to make the jaw look more normal, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Request here N/A

I present this
Abe Vigoda - patron saint of wargamer requests badge for review.

I'm not a wargamer, so this is way over my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The 60s were not the same without
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
anomander64 wrote:
The peer review process ensure sub-standard badges are rejected or improved before submission.

Er, unfortunately there has been some recent evidence to the contrary. Drive-by submissions and ignoring suggestions sometimes work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGDigger wrote:
Hi,
Here are a couple badges I would buy if they existed:

Quote:
Computers and Technology > Languages and Tools >
Moodle user

http://moodle.org

Literature and Arts > Authors >
Susan Cooper fan

http://www.thelostland.com/biography.htm

Please share your thoughts on these.

Poll
Microbadge feedback
Is the
Moodle badge ready to submit?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
100.0% 5
No
0.0% 0
Voters 5
Is the
Susan Cooper badge ready to submit?
Yes
50.0% 2
No
50.0% 2
Voters 4
This poll is now closed.   5 answers
Poll created by BGDigger
Closes: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 am

If you answer no, please provide a little feedback. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember if I've seen anyone working on a Ground Floor mb, but I started these today:

Ground Floor fan

Ground Floor fan - Box cover

Not really happy with the second one yet. It's from this:

As always, feedback is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
anomander64 wrote:
The peer review process ensure sub-standard badges are rejected or improved before submission.

Er, unfortunately there has been some recent evidence to the contrary. Drive-by submissions and ignoring suggestions sometimes work.

I know. I know. Review is voluntary and not enforceable. And it isn't perfect.

There also seems to be a small group of people whose only contribution is to click NO in the polls, probably because it's anonymous.

I just believe you need to set a standard (intangible as it is), otherwise there's no point even having this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdapkus wrote:
I can't remember if I've seen anyone working on a Ground Floor mb, but I started these today:

Ground Floor fan

Ground Floor fan - Box cover

Not really happy with the second one yet. It's from this:

As always, feedback is appreciated.

I am looking forward to this game!

As for your badges, The G needs to stand out more, but then I think it would be good. I don't think using the box cover works well enough, though; it looks too indistinct.

That's my .02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of one talented carpenter who is also an avid gamer... How about a microbadge for this profession ? Good enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The 60s were not the same without
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
PvtRizzo wrote:
I know of one talented carpenter who is also an avid gamer... How about a microbadge for this profession ? Good enough?

It kind of looks like you're sawing through the hammer. Replace it with a board? Or darken the metal part of the hammer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
PvtRizzo wrote:

It kind of looks like you're sawing through the hammer. Replace it with a board? Or darken the metal part of the hammer?

True, it doesn't look right. My original graphic has the hammer with a black handle and its upper portion orange. That upper portion seems to fade a little, in the finished image. I'll darken it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PvtRizzo wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
PvtRizzo wrote:

True, it doesn't look right. My original graphic has the hammer with a black handle and its upper portion orange. That upper portion seems to fade a little, in the finished image. I'll darken it.

How's this version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
mbmb
PvtRizzo wrote:
How's this version?

The head of the hammer looks rather small, but other than that it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mb
Hi all...

Just putting this here for conversation:

Poll
Upload?
Yes
No
      6 answers
Poll created by DKahnt

Pop Culture -> Movies -> Usual Suspects fan - Hockney, McManus, Fenster, Keaton, Kint

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Just putting this here for conversation:

It looks like these are stretched horizontally. I think they'd look better at their original aspect ratio.

Great idea for a badge set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Stuff about posting badges

I think all badges should be posted here for feedback before uploading, poll or no poll. I always have, and Geert does, I think except for cases where he's working on direct requests from special/surprise badges from the powers that be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
Wanted to make a Microbadge for my favorite game, Cosmic Encounter. Posting for peer review:

It's supposed to be the Negotiate card, has the same pointy N symbol from the card and a mock-up bright green border to make it more obvious what it is (the Negotiate card in FFG's version of Cosmic Encounter has green border)

I want the mouseover text to say something like "Cosmic Encounter - Colony for a Colony?"

Thanks for any feedback

I'm a Cosmic player, so I like it. I can't read the green so well though. Can you either make the line thicker or enhance the color a bit?

You could also make an M for Morph, but something for a Cosmic Zap would have more relevance as a badge. A "Z!" perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
BGDigger wrote:
BGDigger wrote:
Hi,
Here are a couple badges I would buy if they existed:

Quote:
Computers and Technology > Languages and Tools >
Moodle user

http://moodle.org

Literature and Arts > Authors >
Susan Cooper fan

http://www.thelostland.com/biography.htm

Please share your thoughts on these.

Poll
Microbadge feedback
Is the
Moodle badge ready to submit?
Yes
100.0% 5
No
0.0% 0
Voters 5
Is the
Susan Cooper badge ready to submit?
Yes
50.0% 2
No
50.0% 2
Voters 4
This poll is now closed.   5 answers
Poll created by BGDigger
Closes: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 am

If you answer no, please provide a little feedback. Thanks!

I think the second one has some white noise around that could be improved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
anomander64 wrote:
There also seems to be a small group of people whose only contribution is to click NO in the polls, probably because it's anonymous.

Probably people sayi8ng No have their reasons. MAybe they dont like the subject, maybe they think such microbadge has no place, maybe they prefer just game-related badges, maybe they think another completely different aproach could be used, maybe jus think microbadge could be improved - any otf the previouis could be used if you think the image is good looking, but you still dont like it for wathever reason, and dont what an argumentation.

As an example, i have voted no to a couple of badges wich looked great but were about a subject i don´t like, but did not want to enter in a discussion. Just voted no, if im the only one, there's no problem, it will be aproved. I say stay with polls, there is no problem is you get 10 yes and 1-2 noes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Request here N/A

I present this
Abe Vigoda - patron saint of wargamer requests badge for review.

I'm not a wargamer, so this is way over my head.

Ok. Several thumbs and no negative comments, so let's poll.

Poll
Is this badge ready for submission?
Yes
No - please comment
      8 answers
Poll created by anomander64
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  914 , 915 , 916 , 917 , 918  Next »  [1011] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.