Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Listen to the PYLP ! @ http://s3.amazonaws.com/PushUrLuckPodcast/pulp_feed.xml
mbmbmbmb

a common theme in all my reviews is that I am doing it from a GANONGAF perspective.
GANONGAF – Gamer with NON-Gamer Friends

Reason being, I often look for games to buy for my group of friends and myself to enjoy, but its often hard to find a review for such a group.

The bunch of friends I board game with are basically non-gamers
In short, they would choose a night of drinking, or a night of poker, or a nice big dinner over a night of board games. How unfortunate. *sigh*

Regardless, let me begin

Gist of the Game

In High Society, your aim is to be the player with the most points by the end of the game. The one catch is that you have to have more money than at least one other person in the game. Meaning you won’t win (regardless of how many points you have) if you are the person with the least money by game end.

What you are doing throughout the game is bidding on luxury items with point values attached to them. Or bidding to avoid certain cards with negative effects. The game ends when 4 particular cards (out of a total of 15 cards) are turned over, meaning the game can end really unexpectedly, which adds to the tension in the game.

Components

High Society is purely a card game (similar to the likes of - For Sale, Saboteur, etc etc).
And I would say that the quality of the cards is pretty good. Not great by any aspect. But it is good enough for what it is and will last through many playthroughs without much problems.

I like it that they made the luxury item cards (and negative effect cards) thicker than a standard size card. It makes it feel like you are bidding for something more tangible than just a flimsy card.

But what I didn’t like is that the money cards are of a very weird size. I wish they had just made it a USA size or Euro size card so that the sleeves would fit. It is quite a bit shorter than a standard USA size card. So it might appear small to some.

As for the artwork, well, it needs a lot of brushing up if you ask me. After playing For Sale, the artwork for High Society just seems really bland and boring.

Rating: 6.8 / 10

Complexity of Game

High Society is extremely easy to teach in every aspect. Never will you need to reread the rules halfway through the game. And everyone, newcomers alike, will be able to understand the bidding mechanism and how each round is meant to be played out.

If there is anything that needs to be highlighted, is the difference between bidding for a luxury item, and bidding to avoid taking the negative cards.
You bid for luxury items and only pay when you take the item itself. Whereas you pay whatever you have bid to avoid the negative item if you are not the player to have taken the item at the end of the bidding phase.

Rating: 9.5 / 10

Playing Experience / Fun Factor

My friends and I do very much enjoy High Society. It’s seldom refused when called upon to be played and I believe that is mainly because it is a fast game which still provides enough tension and exciting moments for all. You’ll constantly be wondering whether you have overspent for your purchases and may tend to hold back for future takings provided they ever turn up due to the unexpected ending of the game.

There is seldom any downtime as everyone is involved in every round and there are tough decisions to be made with regards to how you spend your money.

During our playing sessions there is always friendly banter as people jack up the prices and lure the others in when we know how badly they need some points and there’s often teasing about how low their hand amount is and how whatever they have will not be a factor at end game.

Overall the experience is good and it plays well in my group of friends.

Rating: 7.9 / 10

Replayability

We find ourselves playing this game often during the start of our board game nights. Its kind of like our appetizer to wake up our gaming mood. Which is fine by me really. I wouldn’t play this game the whole night but I am more than happy to get a crack at it every now and then.

And that’s why I feel that the replayability for High Society is… High. No not really. Its got a medium-high replayability. I wont say that its going to always be played all the time, but I see it as a game that appeals to a lot of people and the fact that it plays fast and provides sufficient tension and strategic planning while at it, that can be nothing but good.

Rating: 8.0 / 10

Variants

N/A.

Overall Rating (not an average of above scores but an overall grade): 7.9 / 10
* I do not score based on an average of the above scores because it may result in a boring game with great components outscoring a pretty average game with average components but one which my friends and I enjoyed a whole lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Society is by far and away the most-played multiplayer game in my collection. Second place isn't even close. We have gotten a TON of mileage out of this game, and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon - we just played it again on Saturday. My opinion is that this game has extremely high replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Listen to the PYLP ! @ http://s3.amazonaws.com/PushUrLuckPodcast/pulp_feed.xml
mbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
High Society is by far and away the most-played multiplayer game in my collection. Second place isn't even close. We have gotten a TON of mileage out of this game, and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon - we just played it again on Saturday. My opinion is that this game has extremely high replayability.

hi CND, i can see where you're coming from

its the same for my group. when we are too tired to think of waht to play sometimes, i just reach out for this and BAM game begins. not a word of objection.

its really quite the filler in my place. beats out For Sale which alot of them likes (or liked) as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.