Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: AToE:D:zzFan [+] [View All]
Etienne Gagnon
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I bought the game a month ago and still not played yet. But, I read all I can on BoardgameGeek. One of the thing that I read the most is the randomness of the play. The caharacters move around the board to prepare themselves for the big Showdown.

Here a idea that I had. Maybe it would be interesting to have a deck of cards that will give the players a purpose to accomplish. It is not a obligation, but a possibility to move around the board with a goal in mind.

Here my idea (it is still at his enfancy): a card where the character must accomplish 3 goals in order to win a reward. You obtain the card by going to the Town Hall. You can only have one "Quest" or "Investigation" at a time.

The card could be format like this:
Lost my child
(Here a little flavour text)
Step 1: Find tracks (go to crossroads)
Step 2: Pass a Cunning test 5+
Step 3: Go to: Randomn Location
(Flavour text)
Reward: 1d6 Investigation

In this example, the difficulty his pretty easy. But, there is a possibility to have more tougher Investigation. That's all depends of the reward. Better reward, tougher challenge. One of the step could be to defeat a number of monsters, investigate a Town Elder, find a specific item, etc. You may have a specific location to go, but with expansion it could be hard. Rewards could be: investigation Tokens, Free Lair Card, the choice to take a item in the discard or even the right to have a free round of combat against the Villain in the Showdown (Ambush).

The cards don't need to have a picture, only the barckground of parchment and all the necessarie information. It could be a nice net expansion of 12 cards.

This my idea... you are the judge now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good idea, and I will be interested in knowing more about it as your work progresses. It seems something like "Tasks" in Arkham Horror. I guess you know them.

I've played ATOE three times or so, and though there was one good play, I feel that there's something missing in this game, and "quests" could be that missing thing.
I tried to "spread" the Elders over the map to make the first things to do a bit more obvious, as you had to be in the same place of them to research their secrets. I thought of some kind of movement to the Elders, so there will be a bit more "action" in the game board, too.

Having "secret" or "public" missions to accomplish during the game can make this game a bit better, and if there's some way to spoil other people's tasks, fun will improve, for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dilts
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the extra pieces provided in the game there are a lot of options for user made scenarios. I must admit the "investigation deck does sound like a cool idea! It reminds me of Help Wanted posters that would be at a town hall. "Kid lost-reward for finding. -kid alive:amulet, kid dead:investigation (then inset text about where and how to find them)" "Mysterious prowler at Wind Mill. Cunning 6+ test fail-D3 investigation. Succeed-fight 2 Crimson Hand. If both Crimson Hand are defeated gain 1 free item from Monastery but no investigation" I would say make the task pretty difficult, but I'm already geekin' out about the possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Gagnon
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will not hide that its like some other game like Arkham Horror or Runebound - Sands of Al-Kalim. But, it's a good concept, why not add it for A Touch of Evil.

My perspective is to add a option without touching too much of the main game.

So far, I thanks both of you for ideas. I think there is a possibility for a great enhance of the game. I will continue to post my ideas. I would like others to do the same.

For now, I will stay in a state of juggling with ideas until I have the chance to play the game.

Here a new concept: Mission given by the Elders. The mission has the same format of my first idea. The difference is about the reward. There is three rewards: one if the Elder his Good then the reward help the player. The other if the Elder his Evil then the reward hinder another player. If the Elder is dead, no reward.

Keep the comments and ideas coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the competitive or team game should be cool as is (I say "should be" because I still haven't had a chance to play it that way yet), but I do agree that the co-op game could seem to use something like this, or some kind of concurrent goal in general, a la the gate sealing victory condition in Arkham Horror.

To me, the thing this game needs the most is more active decisions. Virtually all of the encounters and villain events tell you what to do, and then you roll some dice to see what the result of that is. In Arkham Horror (which I can't help but compare this with and against), many of the encounters offer a choice with some kind of risk/reward, but whether you take the option or not is there. And you also have the option of spending Clue tokens to increase your chances of success, and you can change your skill sliders each turn, etc. ATOE has terrific theme and character and nicely distinctive and thematically functioning villains and minions, and the Town Elders are a very clever and unique thing... but it definitely plays itself more than you play it. That being said, it can still be very entertaining and immersive to experience, but including some kind of tasks/missions as you suggest could definitely involve each player more in the game and help to include more active decisions (if nothing else, to decide whether it's going to be worth it at a given time to try to complete your task or to go after the villain as usual).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just want to comment that this idea is brilliant! I'm a huge fan of AH and just picked up Dunwich Horror. I got ATOE because I wanted a game like AH that would play faster. I got it and wish there was some kind of Mission or Task option! I hope someone is working on this and would love to play test any fan made material. Sorry I can't offer and fresh ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OtakuQc wrote:
The card could be format like this:
Lost my child
(Here a little flavour text)
Step 2: Pass a Cunning test 5+
Step 3: Go to: Randomn Location
(Flavour text)
Reward: 1d6 Investigation

How's this . . .

??

Here's the link in case something goes t1ts up:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/S2woL-KhdqI/AAAAAAAAAE...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is pretty awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Something Awry
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Guild Wars 2 Thief: when in doubt, use more poison.
badge
grr. arg.
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
OtakuQc wrote:

Nice looking card. I'm curious about the X in the top-left location spot. Is the X a Crossroads symbol (for the first place you must go to), or X for unknown/multiple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Gagnon
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed, it is awesome!!!

Glad to see someone with more initiative and talent than me to advance my little pet project.

For now, I don't have time to advance the idea. My studies at the university keep me very occupied.

Once again, I appraise your work ninjadorg.

P.S.: Maybe instead of the X mark on the corner, change it for a ?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Heh. The "X" is actually the alpha channel (in keeping theme with the other decks) from two rolled up scrolls crossed over each other. With hindsight one scroll unfurled might have been a better choice for the symbol, like a sort of "Wanted" poster . . .

blush

I also used the wrong font as I was in a hurry but these things can be changed moving forward. Keep the ideas coming and I'll start putting a mini deck together if/when time permits.

And thanks for the comments!

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Gagnon
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok, I did some thinking. Here how I see each element of a card:

1 - Nature of the card:
a. Mandate - Some form of a quest
b. Rumor - Something to investigate
c. Special event - A event that effect all players

2 - The location that happens:
a. Fixed location
b. Random location

3 - The main way to accomplish the nature of the card:
a.Use one or more skills:
- Spirit: Occult, sixth sense, affinity to supernatural
- Cunning: Logic, wits, affinity to science
- Combat: Art of fighting, strength
- Honor: Courage, sacrifice, wisdom, street smarts, experience
b. Fighting something
c. Sacrifice (item, allie, etc.)
d. Retrieve something
e. Others

4 - Rewards
a. Investigations tokens
- Fixed
- Random
b. A card from:
- Discard pile
- Town Item (Monastery Item)
- From another player
c. Discard a card in play (any source)
d. Peek a secret from a Elder
e. Skills upgrade
f. Others

For the moment, that is all I think about. It's possible that I miss something. For the special event, here 2 examples:

"Town Elder captured": Roll a d6 and pick the Elder with the same Honor. This Elder is captured. Put his counter on the board at a random location. Add 2 minions randomly chosen on the minion chart. Until that Elder his liberated, no one can use him or her. You can still investigate their secrets.

"Evil Elder on the loose": Randomly choose one of the Evil Elder. Put his counter on the board at a random location. Add 2 minions randomly chosen on the minion chart. This Elder will fight after the minions are killed. Add 2 to his attacks and wounds. Gain 5 Investigations tokens if killed.

Of course, this is a simple examples of this kind of cards. Feel free to continue to share your thoughts about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yes, that is what I'm talking about! Great job!!

I would definitely say that there needs to be those two cards. "Town Elder Captured" or even something like, "Daring Rescue" as Lucy Harbrook in the base game or Selena strike me as who would be doing a little too much snooping around. Just my thoughts.

I really like the Evil Elder on the Loose, it keep the ones that turn back in the game instead of just disappearing once their exposed until the end game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Again, just wanted to say that this is awesome and I hope someone is still working on more cards for this! Brilliant. Anyone??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had baby so brain no worky plus sleeplessnesslessness equals creativity drought for me.
But if other peeps flesh out the ideas and exact wording and there's enough interest I'll mock some more up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few more to be going on with, used a new scroll icon too (is it better/worse/no different?):

Evil Elder on the Loose

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/S354tyX3J5I/AAAAAAAAAF...

Town Elder Captured

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/S352-S797-I/AAAAAAAAAF...

Daring Rescue

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/S36eK2HvBoI/AAAAAAAAAF...

zombie

EDIT - BGG links added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many do we need for a full deck here? Anyone got any other ideas to chip in with? Also, thanks for the GG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sorry for bumping an old topic, but think this is a great idea.

Just an idea to expand upon this, you can also add quests to mystery cards. Can use this to make the game harder, trick will be trying to find some way to balance them for coop and competitive play.

Give keywords: Mystery Quest

Quest keyword defines that the cards stay around but are not exactly remains in play, can only be cancelled when the card is first drawn.

Ex
"evil ritual"
2 Crimson Hand cultists are trying to summon minions of the villain at random location. If they are both defeated you get 5 investigation. If only 1 cultist is defeated then another one is summoned to replace the fallen brother. If they are not defeated by the start of the 3rd mystery phase roll once on the villains minion chart (re rolling any events) and put a minion at a random D3+1 locations, move the shadow tracker 2 steps closer to darkness and remove one cultist from the space (he was sacrificed to summon the minions). The cultists will never move until they are finished their ritual.

"Brainwashing"
The living, non-evil, Elder with the lowest cunning has been kidnapped while investigating the villain. Draw 2 random locations. Place 2 investigation on the first location where the elder was kidnapped, place the elder's token and a Crimson Hand Cultist at the second location. If the elder is not rescued by the start of the second mystery phase the elder is turned evil (no cards or actions can prevent this) and all living elders gain 1 additional secret.

Edit: Idea, maybe instead of a quests in the mystery deck could make a villain action deck. For competitive play can draw one card whenever the shadow track moves into a new square. For coop play can draw one whenever the shadow tracker advances towards the darkness (its just moving towards the darkness that makes the draw, doesn't matter how far it moves towards the darkness).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas! How about these?

On my blog here in case there are any BGG issues...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TF_ViJzX4LI/AAAAAAAAAK...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TF_VdfLPP2I/AAAAAAAAAK...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think the brainwashing like that might be too strong. Would quickly get too many secrets on the elders. How about placing 1 investigation placing every mystery phase on the square. When it reaches 4 investigation the elder turns evil and the elder with the next lowest cunning gains a secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two more:

And the blog links:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TGAHNBxSRlI/AAAAAAAAAK...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/TGAHMz4jvhI/AAAAAAAAAK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizuriel wrote:
I think the brainwashing like that might be too strong. Would quickly get too many secrets on the elders. How about placing 1 investigation placing every mystery phase on the square. When it reaches 4 investigation the elder turns evil and the elder with the next lowest cunning gains a secret.

Good call. My reasoning was that this way only 2 secrets are added per turn, instead of in 2 turns one elder becomes evil and 5 secrets are added. Will have a play with this one and see how it goes ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Turner
United States
Fultondale
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork on these is excellent. I love this idea. The question now becomes what allows you to draw from the quest deck. I would suggest that it be an action you could take only after defeating a minion. This would increase the incentive to go after the minions on the board and make each manifestation of the evil an opportunity to advance the fight against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
personally I would like to see quests as something that has a minor reward for completing them, but a huge penalty for failing (or until they are finished). It would help with the difficulty of the game, without just making the final fight harder.

If going be that logic the consistency of the pulls needs to be related to the shadow track. The closer to darkness, the more frequently bad stuff like this should be happening and the harder to stop it.

So how about this:
At the start of any mystery phase where a quest card is not in play roll 3d6, if its over the number on the shadow tracker draw a card. For coop games can add a +1 to the roll for every player beyond the first (so if 3 players coop it becomes 3D6+2). So this should start to pop up regularly around 10 which should be mid to end game.

So this should divide the game into 3 stages. Early game players explore the board, gather equipment/events and investigation. Mid game they need to start dealing with the quests and end game where they are fighting the end villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 pence: whatever method it is, I suggest it should be easy to remember and implement. The last thing I'd personally want is for the Quests to over-complicate the game.

Maybe even something as simple as each hero starts with one Quest drawn randomly (their 'back story')? After all, by the time they've dealt with their Quest things should be kicking off with everything else the game is doing in the meantime. Or maybe there is one communal Quest and as soon as it is completed another is drawn to replace it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.