$10.00
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamephotos isn't gone. He logged in today, weeks after his "announcment".

As long as you keep logging in you havn't left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
fatetwister64 wrote:

He stated that he would cease participating/contributing, not that he would cease using the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What better way is there for him to attract traffic to his website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
fatetwister64 wrote:

He stated that he would cease participating/contributing, not that he would cease using the database.

Which is the epitome of hypocrisy. Delete your stuff so others can't see it, then access other peoples stuff. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Dave Davies wrote:
Which is the epitome of hypocrisy. Delete your stuff so others can't see it, then access other peoples stuff. :shake:

IOW I should never read a book unless I also write one, never watch a movie unless I also make a movie, etc? Parity is a fine thing, but the balance between consumers and producers is always weighted heavily in favour of the consumers. A common ratio is 10 consumers per producer, and not infrequently the ratio is far more lopsided with thousands of consumers per single producer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
fatetwister64 wrote:

Which is the epitome of hypocrisy. Delete your stuff so others can't see it, then access other peoples stuff. shake

Hypocrisy is a contradiction between stated beliefs and actions. How is this hypocritical? Does he care if other people delete their contributions but continue to use the database? I don't think he does.

It would be hypocritical if he was espousing some kind of "down with BGG" message. He has not done so. He's said nothing about wanting the site to fail or thinking that people should not use it. He just didn't want his stuff here anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hypocrisy is a contradiction between stated beliefs and actions.

You and your fancy "logic" and "definitions".

Get your head out of the dictionary and start misusing the language like literally everyone else, irregardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's free to do what he wants to. I'm also free to disapprove of the behavior, whatever definition you want to throw out there.

BGG is a user-driven database. In my opinion he has insulted users here repeatedly with generalized statements. He's using his retracted submissions to the database as some kind of attention-grabbing "statement", but feels free to post a link to his own website. I find that to be hypocrisy, or at least just "jerk" behavior. Is it breaking some kind of rule? No...but its also not cool.

Can someone come to the conclusion they don't want to participate or support the database any more? Sure! But then follow through on it and quit bouncing back and forth trying to milk attention. At least do it without insulting the BGG population at large.

Its all come across as selfishly-motivated and elitist...and I really don't find any sympathy for the guy based on this behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
He's free to do what he wants to. I'm also free to disapprove of the behavior, whatever definition you want to throw out there.

I didn't think people would jump on me for this. I just wrote my understanding of hypocrisy as it came to mind.

He doesn't want his stuff on BGG and he's started his own website so that he can do things the way he wants them to be done. There's a link on his profile page for users who discover his images have been moved. I think there's room to interpret that as a courtesy.

I discovered recently that quite a few geeklist items of mine are pock-marked with blank image fields now. A bummer, but it's not something I'm taking personally. I'm glad to know I can find those images somewhere else if I want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Hypocrisy is a contradiction between stated beliefs and actions. How is this hypocritical? Does he care if other people delete their contributions but continue to use the database? I don't think he does.

It would be hypocritical if he was espousing some kind of "down with BGG" message. He has not done so. He's said nothing about wanting the site to fail or thinking that people should not use it. He just didn't want his stuff here anymore.

While we agree on the definition of hypocrisy, we disagree on its application. I have found several things he has said to be "down with BGG" as well as insulting to users. He has taken his ball and gone home but still wants to play with other peoples balls....so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
He has taken his ball and gone home but still wants to play with other peoples balls....so to speak.

Oh, I detestes that. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
After playing Pandemic for the first time tonight I was reading through the highest rated reviews, and it looks like there was a user called WhiteKong who has gone and deleted everything (this is now a 138-thumb review with no review).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
After playing Pandemic for the first time tonight I was reading through the highest rated reviews, and it looks like there was a user called WhiteKong who has gone and deleted everything (this is now a 138-thumb review with no review).

I remember gm'ing him about that review to tell him how much I liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

Anyone wants a copy, send me a geekmail, I have the article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be quite honest ("love it or leave it" be damned), WhiteKong was a major contributor whose writing was intense, well-expressed, and valuable. He is the third major contributor whose loss registers with me personally, following Pathirtle and Gamephotos. I'm sure others will produce content that fills the gaps, but regardless the site and the community are worse off.

To those who don't care: I don't care that you don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
To be quite honest ("love it or leave it" be damned), WhiteKong was a major contributor whose writing was intense, well-expressed, and valuable. He is the third major contributor whose loss registers with me personally, following Pathirtle and Gamephotos. I'm sure others will produce content that fills the gaps, but regardless the site and the community are worse off.

To those who don't care: I don't care that you don't care.

He was a geekbuddy of mine. Wish I at least knew why he left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Kurt, he posted over in RSP that he was fed up with the internet in general. Not sure why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Sanger
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironspector (i believe his name was) deleted all his content as far as I can tell. some messages from him in my box are blank now.

gave me some good advice and wrote some funny stuff, too. sux.

Also sux to hear about Mr. Skeletor, seeing his avatar always meant the print was worth your time.

I couldn't imagine deleting my account, personally. I've bumped into some people who are totally opposite of me and tick me off but the database and ability to track and update my collection are much too valuable to ever wanna leave.

Its possible that I could want to stop posting and even reading posts, but deleting my content and never coming back is crazy talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
I have found several things he has said to be "down with BGG" as well as insulting to users. He has taken his ball and gone home but still wants to play with other peoples balls....so to speak.

At least he won't be playing with your balls, because you don't have any - you have clearly shown this by attacking someone who won't defend himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is Whitekong's Parthian shot.

Quote:
I read someone writing about bloggers someplace on the internet. The quote was somethnig like, "Never have so many people had so little to say to so few." And honestly, that is about as accurate a description of the internet as I have ever seen. I was part of the problem for a long time, but after having taken a break for a few months, I realize I don't miss it. Going to pull the trigger on my account later today or early tomorrow after I confirm that the last guy I did a marketplace deal with gets his game and is satisfied with the condition, etc.

It was fun, all. So long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Kurt, he posted over in RSP that he was fed up with the internet in general. Not sure why.

Something about the way you wrote this calls to mind what you hear when people commit suicide. When people delete all their contributions, are they committing a kind of Internet suicide?

Up until now, I've been just shaking my head and wondering why. To look at it in terms of a kind of suicide, it does begin to make certain kind of sense. Though still not much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Dave Davies wrote:
I have found several things he has said to be "down with BGG" as well as insulting to users. He has taken his ball and gone home but still wants to play with other peoples balls....so to speak.

At least he won't be playing with your balls, because you don't have any - you have clearly shown this by attacking someone who won't defend himself.

Yeah, I'm sure you've never criticized the action of someone who wasn't there to defend themselves...

Which, as a side effect, implies you never complain about politicians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Dave Davies wrote:

Oh come on...this argument is stupid. Those guys are not here because they CHOSE not to be here. While I agree, that piling on doesn't help the least, I also strongly object to the notion, that we may not discuss their actions just because they are not here to defend themselves.
It was their choice! It comes with the teritory - if they leave, they can not defend themselfes. And honestly I feel that they wouldn't want to anyway, because by leaving they have clearly shown that they don't care about the people here. That's fine - but if you have been a more or less prolific contributor, you can not expect people not to talk about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tanakor wrote:
Oh come on...this argument is stupid. Those guys are not here because they CHOSE not to be here. While I agree, that piling on doesn't help the least, I also strongly object to the notion, that we may not discuss their actions just because they are not here to defend themselves.

Dave Davies wrote: "Which is the epitome of hypocrisy. Delete your stuff so others can't see it, then access other peoples stuff." Gamephotos might have just logged in to check his geekmail; BGG doesn't publicly track what content a user accesses. But Davies assumes that gamephotos extensively makes use of other people's contributions while not contributing himself, that he is a "leech" so to speak.

Which is the epitome of "piling on".

russ wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure you've never criticized the action of someone who wasn't there to defend themselves...

Which, as a side effect, implies you never complain about politicians. :)

I can't claim that I never did it, but I usually don't criticize the actions of individuals. I despise slander and talking behind someone's back.

Which is why, as a side effect, I complain about policies, not politicians.

Are you still here, smarty-pants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
russ wrote:

Which, as a side effect, implies you never complain about politicians.

I can't claim that I never did it, but I usually don't criticize the actions of individuals. I despise slander and talking behind someone's back.

Which is why, as a side effect, I complain about policies, not politicians.

Are you still here, smarty-pants?

I'm not sure if you're calling me smarty-pants or someone else. If it's me, then yes, I am here to defend myself against the scurrilous charge of having intelligent trousers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.