Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I have had so many geekmail requests for this article, I'll ask this question here publicly:


I downloaded a negative review for Pandemic a long, long time ago since I liked it, from a user that later left with as much damage as possible (i.e. remove all his stuff). Now, I cannot contact the person since his account is gone, and can't find (or, well, can find too many) people with his name in his city in order to ask permission to repost.
While I like the game, I also liked the review, it has a good prospective for potential buyers, showing some of the downsides. But, now we cannot re-post it. Even an edited version is sadly not re-postable.

However:
A:
The material (I just checked) is even now still on the g-servers, here you go if you want to watch the pristine text:
H E R E

and
B:
Just go to the LoC, Library of Congress, (We're a cultural treasure!!) and look up the data there (well, maybe this single article might be excluded, as it was pulled too early). as all content from this page is stored regularly at the LoC, we should be allowed to access it from here even if someone leaves.

Based on the fact that it is still publicly available (see A), and part of the "global cultural heritage", why can we not have this article on the database again?
And, sure, if you have the contact details, please ask in our all stead if we may kindly re-post the article. Or go to the LoC.
Well, that's just my two cents.

Edits: spelling, as usual...
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
Add wargamer and anti-Eurogamer DorianGray to the list. (He would sometimes delete his more controversial outrageous comments in long forum threads, so I guess deleting his whole account was a logical next step for him.)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4733825#4733825
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastian Bux wrote:
Nazhuret wrote:
It's not "my little archive project" as you are well aware. It's a web site run by NOT me.


I would suggest, as BGG is not forcing users to keep all posts on the site after they leave, that BGG is not in the business of an archiving project. They are in the business of a board game website, where content comes and goes.

As you have brought this idea of archiving up, I'm assuming it's your project. Who else would it belong to?


BAM!

All of us, god damn it....

EVERYONE!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poisson d'Avril
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Nazhuret wrote:
I just noticed a thread wherein I learned that Mr. Skeletor has also left and asked that his contributions (which were many, varied and almost always very good) be taken away.

Is it even possible to have your account deleted, and your contributions remain? That would be a good option, but does it exist?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are important enough when you click 'delete account' you get an email from admins asking to allow your content be left behind with your username changed to 'deleted user 1'. I don't think it happened more than once so far.

Deleted User 1
msg tools
11 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
why can we not have this article on the database again?


Because the owner of the article does not want that. However, you may reword the article and upload your own negative review if you feel we need one.

And I think if he emails the library, they may take down the article as well. I am not sure, of course, because I don't know much about US copyright and library stuff.

By the way, people who "leech" generate page views and help the BGG business. If this was not desired by the admins, we would have a restricted area of the database that could only be accessed for people who have some uploads to show.

Calm down. We have so many users and so much content, losing a few of that matters less than you think.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
maxmaven wrote:
Nazhuret wrote:
I just noticed a thread wherein I learned that Mr. Skeletor has also left and asked that his contributions (which were many, varied and almost always very good) be taken away.

Is it even possible to have your account deleted, and your contributions remain? That would be a good option, but does it exist?

Yes and many have.

e.g., Michael Barnes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
whac3 wrote:
e.g., Michael Barnes.


This is a common misconception: Mr. Barnes isn't gone, he's just locked out of posting to the forums. He still logs in regularly and updates his games, plays, comments, etc. and his account very much alive and active.

User Details for crackedlcd81
Registration Date: 2003-02-09 23:00:00
Last Profile Update: 2006-08-16 12:32:10
Last Login: 2010-03-05
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salish99 wrote:
Ok, so I have had so many geekmail requests for this article, I'll ask this question here publicly:


I downloaded a negative review for Pandemic a long, long time ago since I liked it, from a user that later left with as much damage as possible (i.e. remove all his stuff). Now, I cannot contact the person since his account is gone, and can't find (or, well, can find too many) people with his name in his city in order to ask permission to repost.
While I like the game, I also liked the review, it has a good prospective for potential buyers, showing some of the downsides. But, now we cannot re-post it. Even an edited version is sadly not re-postable.

However:
A:
The material (I just checked) is even now still on the g-servers, here you go if you want to watch the pristine text:
H E R E

and
B:
Just go to the LoC, Library of Congress, (We're a cultural treasure!!) and look up the data there (well, maybe this single article might be excluded, as it was pulled too early). as all content from this page is stored regularly at the LoC, we should be allowed to access it from here even if someone leaves.

Based on the fact that it is still publicly available (see A), and part of the "global cultural heritage", why can we not have this article on the database again?
And, sure, if you have the contact details, please ask in our all stead if we may kindly re-post the article. Or go to the LoC.
Well, that's just my two cents.

Edits: spelling, as usual...



Well look - I just quoted you - and I didn't ask for your permission. It happens hundreds of times a day on BGG. BFD - once it's in the public domain it's in the public domain. If someone gets really upset I suppose they cound sue for damages...which would be, er, all of about $0 in damages.

I'd also point out quoting without expressed permission happens millions of times a day on college campuses, news outlets and many more places. As long as you give the person credit for the quote there's really no problem.


So for example you would simply post and say:


I really like Pandemic, but user joeshmo had a different take, in his review he said, "blah blah blah" While I don't agree with all these points I think point two, "blah" has some merit.


Seems to me this whole discussion is much ado about nothing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:
Well look - I just quoted you - and I didn't ask for your permission. It happens hundreds of times a day on BGG. BFD - once it's in the public domain it's in the public domain. If someone gets really upset I suppose they cound sue for damages...which would be, er, all of about $0 in damages.

I'd also point out quoting without expressed permission happens millions of times a day on college campuses, news outlets and many more places. As long as you give the person credit for the quote there's really no problem.
So for example you would simply post and say:
I really like Pandemic, but user joeshmo had a different take, in his review he said, "blah blah blah" While I don't agree with all these points I think point two, "blah" has some merit.
Seems to me this whole discussion is much ado about nothing.


Well, thanks. I'll try that some time next week, see how many users want to delete it this time. :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poisson d'Avril
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
bazik123 wrote:
if you are important enough when you click 'delete account' you get an email from admins asking to allow your content be left behind with your username changed to 'deleted user 1'. I don't think it happened more than once so far.

Deleted User 1
msg tools

Looking at the contributions of that account, it seems like Rick Thornquist was one of those, given this list: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14/rick-thornquists-top-10...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Butter Lemon deleted his/her account and contributions, including some math trade lists: Re: February 2010 UK only Maths Trade discussion thread
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mizuno
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxmaven wrote:
As seen here:
Quote:
"At least five Geeks of the Week have left the site since receiving the award: Richard Fawkes (Fawkes), Ryan Walberg (generalpf), Pat Hirtle (pathirtle), Aaron (bestbandis), and Frank La Terra (MrSkeletor)."


What this really says to me is that there is something wrong with the GOTW selection process.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
soltan gris wrote:
What this really says to me is that there is something wrong with the GOTW selection process.

Or maybe becoming GOTW tends to make people go insane.
11 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soltan gris wrote:
maxmaven wrote:
As seen here:
Quote:
"At least five Geeks of the Week have left the site since receiving the award: Richard Fawkes (Fawkes), Ryan Walberg (generalpf), Pat Hirtle (pathirtle), Aaron (bestbandis), and Frank La Terra (MrSkeletor)."


What this really says to me is that there is something wrong with the GOTW selection process.


Tell me! I've never been selected!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
soltan gris wrote:
What this really says to me is that there is something wrong with the GOTW selection process.

Or maybe becoming GOTW tends to make people go insane.


It wouldn't affect me. I teach junior high students! zombie
11 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer204 wrote:
russ wrote:
soltan gris wrote:
What this really says to me is that there is something wrong with the GOTW selection process.

Or maybe becoming GOTW tends to make people go insane.


It wouldn't affect me. I teach junior high students! zombie


You mean all here is nothing when compared with another real life prospective...
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This website makes mad bank. Over 100,000 annual transactions charged at 3%, plus 10,000+ patrons, plus ad revenue.

So I can understand the actions of deleting all your content--not necessarily aimed at users. Your aim is so that the administration does not benefit from your contributions.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
then why submit them in the first place?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salish99 wrote:
then why submit them in the first place?


Because it is completely possible to change one's mind. For the time being, I am completely fine with contributing to this website for many reasons. But I can also see how it could be possible that I change my mind -- maybe, like with some of those other users, I come to disagree with a fundamental practice or ethic expressed by Aldie or his moderators. If the problem were never addressed, or worse, compounded, I might find myself unwilling to have my work associated with a place that so sharply opposes my own personal views or interests. That could harm whatever reputation I try to build for myself.

Regardless of why, if I ever find out that this site will decide not to allow me to remove my contributions (however few they may be at the moment), it will have seen the last of me and my contributions. No matter how unlikely that event may be, it is my right, dammit, and I won't stand for people telling me what I can and cannot do with what is legally mine.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
salish99 wrote:
then why submit them in the first place?

Because it is completely possible to change one's mind. For the time being, I am completely fine with contributing to this website for many reasons. But I can also see how it could be possible that I change my mind -- maybe, like with some of those other users, I come to disagree with a fundamental practice or ethic expressed by Aldie or his moderators. If the problem were never addressed, or worse, compounded, I might find myself unwilling to have my work associated with a place that so sharply opposes my own personal views or interests. That could harm whatever reputation I try to build for myself.
Regardless of why, if I ever find out that this site will decide not to allow me to remove my contributions (however few they may be at the moment), it will have seen the last of me and my contributions. No matter how unlikely that event may be, it is my right, dammit, and I won't stand for people telling me what I can and cannot do with what is legally mine.


true, true...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Too much time spent in RSP for Chiddler:

I'm Checking Out

chiddler wrote:
I spend to much time arguing about stuff with people whose thought processes are alien to me, so I've decided to pull the plug.

This time tomorrow i'm deleting my account - then I'll create a new one under a different name and use it for the gaming side of this site only.

Sorry to lose some of the good stuff I've posted, but it really is a waste of time and energy, so I'm going cold turkey.

This'll be my last post as Chiddler, so all the best to all of you, even those of you who are clinically insane.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
GAWD
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Chessjester
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
dawn_cherri wrote:
Some people here can be very cruel, they will jump on you for a simple post asking questions. It happened to me. I do think there is a clique in some circles that try to own the place.


If you get jumped on - please report that to Octavian.

Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
20 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.