Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What About 9/11? My immediate reaction was to create a linchpin card about the events of that tragic day... but it will probably be a very long time before we actually use that card in a game. Eventually, I could imagine a 4th TimeLine, starting with 2000 and fitting into the beginning of the 2111 TimeLine... but I think another 20 years or so must go by before we can know what that TimeLine should be about, and what the full impact of 9/11 on history will actually be.

--taken from Andy Looney's write-up on Chrononauts
http://wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Chrononauts/Mysteries.html#...

When the original Chrononauts came out, there was some small controversy over the inclusion of Columbine, which had only happened two years earlier. At least, that's what I've heard as by the time I picked up the game (fall 08), all the events of the tail end of the game were old news to me. Waco was tragic but happened a decade ago. Time had passed and it was, in one sense or another, history.

With the release of the Gore Years I have the opportunity the expand on a game I love while experiencing that odd discomfort that must have been felt ten years ago.

The Gore Years is a very simple eleven card expansion: TWo linchpins, three ripple points with corresponding patches and three new Identities. Put the cards in the right places and decks and you're good to go as they don't change the basic mechanic in the slightest.

I've played the game with the expansion several times now and I have to admit to some lingering squickiness when I play it, which is kind of ironic. It's been nine years since the Bush election, which is the same distance of time between my introduction to the game and Columbine.

That said, I enjoy it and it's a worthy addition to one of my favorite games. However, I do wish that it was a wee bit more complex.

"But Chris," you're undoubtedly saying, "this is essentially a five card expansion to the timeline! How much complexity do you want in five cards?"

Fair enough. It would be impossible to integrate this more completely into the base game without incorporating even more cards and changing Linchpins and so on and so forth and I'm a fan of simple solutions and not delaying this expansion by another decade. So my (minor, nit-picking) frustration is with the IDs.

One of the things I love about the base game is the probability that the other players at the table are working at cross purposes to me. There's something wonderfully fun and chaotic about duking it out over whether the Hindenburg crashes or not and you haven't lived until you've had a loud-ish "argument" in a coffeeshop over whether Hitler lives or dies.

I feel like that tension is lacking with these IDs. Two of them are so self-contained that they don't really threaten the base game IDs and the third seems like it has a weak relation with the base game although it is reliant on three contentious Linchpins (Lincoln, Hitler and JFK). I find myself wishing for one or two more IDs that would tie the expansion in a bit more. For that matter, with this expansion I'm wishing more than anything for Looney to release blank ID cards so I can cobble together some odd characters for the game or for UberChrononauts.

But, really, that's me and my appreciation of the game and that's a minor niggle. If you like Chrononauts, you owe it to yourself to spend the $3 to get this expansion. It's a fun little treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An increase in tension from the Gore Years I did not expect: it is easier to create the 13 paradoxes. All players have to be a little more vigilant.
Also I noticed, when using the Gore Years expansion, a discrepancy that occurs in the timeline. If you play the patch where Martin Luther King becomes president, it conflicts with the 2008 patch. You cannot have two "first" black presidents. Therefore, I propose that if you play the MLK presidency patch, that 2008 becomes automatically paradoxed (flipped over). I'll contact Looney Labs on this matter so I can get an official word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
An increase in tension from the Gore Years I did not expect: it is easier to create the 13 paradoxes. All players have to be a little more vigilant.
Also I noticed, when using the Gore Years expansion, a discrepancy that occurs in the timeline. If you play the patch where Martin Luther King becomes president, it conflicts with the 2008 patch. You cannot have two "first" black presidents. Therefore, I propose that if you play the MLK presidency patch, that 2008 becomes automatically paradoxed (flipped over). I'll contact Looney Labs on this matter so I can get an official word.

MLK Jr. was not *elected* to the presidency in 1974, but Obama was in 2008. Thus Obama is the first black man elected president.

Now, the issue I've noticed is in UberChrononauts. If the Statue of Freedom is built in 1886', then how is the Statue of Liberty destroyed in 2002'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:
Myoman wrote:

MLK Jr. was not *elected* to the presidency in 1974, but Obama was in 2008. Thus Obama is the first black man elected president.

Now, the issue I've noticed is in UberChrononauts. If the Statue of Freedom is built in 1886', then how is the Statue of Liberty destroyed in 2002'?

Which is part of why I want blank ID cards, as that disparity cries out for a new UberChrononauts ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
I propose that if you play the MLK presidency patch, that 2008 becomes automatically paradoxed (flipped over).

As Ryan pointed out, MLK is not elected president, but furthermore, your proposed solution (to a non-existent problem) would make one of the new ID badges impossible to complete.

Quote:

Now this one I can't help you with. You just gotta go with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
Raleigh
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I think you should realize these wings are really hot.
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:

The same thing can happen if the Second Amendment is repealed ... despite there being no Constitution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.