2 Posts

Clue: The Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: It cuts the Mustard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's my perp! Futsie, all right - crazy as a coot! He's got to be stopped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up from Poundland a couple of weeks ago and have had a chance to play it a few times over Christmas.

This is the German version

Yet again the unfortunate Dr Black has become the victim of foul play, I would have thought he would have learnt his lesson by now, he must have a hell of a time finding a company willing to sell him life insurance.

In a change to the original board game, the murderer has fled the mansion. So this time, players are trying to identify the murderer, the getaway vehicle and the location where he or she is fleeing.

The game starts off in a similar fashion to the original with three clue cards being secretly set aside, but in this case the cards removed are a suspect, vehicle and destination. I should say that the clue cards give extra information that players need to bear in mind. The suspects are obviously male or female, the vehicles are either red or blue and the destination cards are given a geographical location such as northwest.

A tour of the UK in 9 cards

The rest of the clue cards are shuffled and dealt as equally as possible between the players. Players can now eliminate their clue cards from the investigation by crossing off these cards on their detective sheets. These sheets are tiny, being about the size of a regular playing card. This could be a problem for people with dodgy peepers. Perhaps you can supply magnifying glasses for an even more authentic sleuthing atmosphere.

The USA detective sheet,

In addition to the nine destination clue cards, there are also nine destination markers, one of which is randomly handed to each player. Each player is also dealt an action card. The game is now ready to begin.

The first player draws an action card and then decides which of the two cards they wish to play. I’ll give you a brief run down of the different action card types.

Make a suggestion from any destination
The player decides on a destination he thinks the killer is heading for. If it is different to the destination marker that they currently have in front of them then they exchange it. They then make there full suggestion, naming a suspect a vehicle and a destination.
The player to the left then has to the disprove the suggestion by secretly showing the accusing player one of their clue cards that match the suggestion. If they cannot then the next player to the left has to try and disprove the suggestion. If no one can disprove the suggestion then the accuser has won, unless someone has messed up and the three clue cards set aside at the start do not match the suggestion.

Make a suggestion from the present location or move
As above, but if the player wants to make a suggestion, then it has to include their current location. Otherwise they can forgo making a suggestion in favour of moving to a new location.

Snoop
Select an opponent who has to lay their entire hand face down on the table. Pick any card and secretly look at it,

All Snoop
Each player places their hand face down and all players get a chance to snoop

Supersleuth
Each player must try to show you a clue card with the specified feature, for example a destination to the north or a red vehicle.

Private Tip
The card is passed face down to an opponent who reads it before passing it back along with one or all of the requested clue cards. The card may for example instruct your opponent to show you all their suspect cards.

There is another variant in which one player takes on the role of the fugitive, but it’s a bit dull and not half as exciting as it sounds. Really it is the same game but with the fugitive getting less to do. Maybe an option for younger players, if they find the full game a little complicated.

The game plays nice and quickly and to be honest I don’t really miss the board. Having to roll dice and move around the board was always a little dull and added nothing to the deductive nature of the game. It was especially annoying when another player grabbed your playing piece just as you were about to reach your destination and move you miles away from where you were heading.

I do miss the little black envelope used to slide the cards into and of course the murder weapons. But overall the game has managed to distil the essence of the board game into a handy card game in a clever and entertaining way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Harris
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been looking at the rules for this, and two things leap out:-
You say that after playing a "Make a suggestion from any destination" card, you swap the destination marker in front of you for any other marker, then make a suggestion. In the copy of the rules I have, it says you swap the destination markers, but then wait until your next turn to make a suggestion. This makes no sense to me at all for all sorts of reasons. The rule as you outline it above is clearly correct, so I've deleted that line from my rulesheet. It's a shame that many non-BGGers will get this edition of this otherwise excellent game, and never be able to play it properly.
Second, the bit where you say "If no one can disprove the suggestion then the accuser has won", This has never been the rule in any version of Cluedo I've played. A player can only win by specifically announcing that he is making an accusation (as distinct from a suggestion), naming the three cards he thinks make up the crime, then looking at them. If he's right, he wins, if he's wrong, he's out. If a player makes a suggestion and nobody can disprove it, it may be that he's accidentally hit on the three crime cards: if so he must wait until his next turn to make an accusation; however more likely he has deliberately asked for a card or cards he has in his own hand to force the other players to show him the card he needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.