Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried printing the MOTS expansion and I think it was too much for my laser printer (probably due to it running low on yellow toner). Anyway, I was thinking of taking it to some local place to print this up. A friend took his to Office Depot and it looked pretty nice, but the sizes were a bit too small. I think whoever processed it might have scaled it.

So does anyone have any recommendations of where I should take this to be printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I've had a lot of luck getting stuff printed at Staples. They're more conscientious about scaling, and when you tell them "Print at 100%, please," they really do it. At least, the employees at my local store pay attention. You can even send them the files over the Web and pick them up at your convenience.

EDIT: I should add that if you DO print the expansions out at 100% scale, then they'll fit perfectly. I printed out Ted's expansions, and the official expansion designed by Knizia, and all of them fit beneath the plastic lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I've had a lot of luck getting stuff printed at Staples. They're more conscientious about scaling, and when you tell them "Print at 100%, please," they really do it. At least, the employees at my local store pay attention. You can even send them the files over the Web and pick them up at your convenience.

Can you printed out on thicker paper stock? What "options" did you use and how much did it cost to do one set? Did you do them double-sided? I think I would do them single sided just to avoid any alignment problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
You can print it out on card stock, and it's sufficient for the game. Since you just tuck the boards beneath the plastic, then they don't need to be too thick. You can pay to laminate them, but I usually use self-stick laminate at home, so I'm not sure what it would cost to do that. Plus, I don't think it's necessary to laminate them, but I guess it just depends on your tastes.

It's a little over $1 a page to print out in color on card stock, and I just printed them single-sided to (as you said) avoid alignment problems. I have never printed something double-sided, either at Staples, Office Depot, or at home, and had them line up perfectly on both sides. I would just avoid doing it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I priced them out at Staples to do all 4 expansions on card stock, and I think it came to around $40 if I recall correctly (without lamination and printed single sided). I wound up just printing them at home on my inkjet (and it worked perfectly to print them on the front and back!) and then laminated them. If you have a laser, lamination may not be absolutely necessary.

With respect to Staples, I actually uploaded the files to Staples website and you can get an online quote for the job if you wish.

My wife and I actually both like the card stock better than the cardboard used in the original game...with the cardstock you can keep all the gameboards underneath the plastic...just makes housekeeping during the game a bit easier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Blakslee
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the friend that Jeff refers to. I took the copies back to Office Depot and they reprinted them for free. They found that they needed to turn the auto-margin command off. That allowed the projects to be printed at 100%. I had them use card stock, and all four expansions cost around $25 to print. I also went with single sided, & saw no reason to laminate (due to the plastic cover in the game.) I have the expansions each in a heavy page protector, with the cover sheet in front and the game sheets plasti-banded behind. I fit them all in a 1" binder and carry it in the box. You'll get to see it next game session we both attend.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:
So does anyone have any recommendations of where I should take this to be printed?

If anyone is looking to get any of the FITS expansions printed, another option is to get it done for you by Print & Play Productions, which is run by BGG's Andrew Tullsen (Howitzer_120mm). He does these in chipboard or cardstock, see details here.

I paid for Andrew to make me the cardstock version, and was very pleased with the result - below is a picture of one of the BOTS expansion boards being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.