Axis & Allies Pacific 1940» Forums » General

Subject: DIY tuck box insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] [View All]
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
As you probably know, the tuck boxes in Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 are lacking the nice rooms that we got in Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition.
AA50 box:

So I chose to make some myself. In this post I have documented the process as a sort of tutorial to making your own.

First I disassembled one of the boxes from Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition to see how the rooms were made:

I took some measurements and made a drawing using MS Visio.

A printable .pdf-version can be found in the files section here

I printed the file on A3 paper (297mm x 420mm). One A3 copy is needed for each box. I used standard printer paper which turned out ok, but it would probably be better with some thicker paper.

SIDEBAR: Regarding paper formats & sizes wrote:
If you have problems using the .pdf for other paper formats, please let me know, and I can generate one for the format you need. I'm not sure how much of an issue this is, but the drawing obviously has to be in the original dimensions. I have entered some of the dimensions in the file, so you can check the size before cutting and folding.

EDIT: I have added a version of the file that is optmized for Letter format printing. You can find it here in the files section:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52700/diy-tuck-box-ins...

I think the easiest way to cut the inserts correctly is like this:
1 Cut away all the grey areas
2 Cut slits along the bold lines

The result should be two pieces like this:

Next step is to fold the paper along all the lines in this direction:

The printed side of the paper should turn outwards toward the box edges, so the lines & text will not be visible.

Note that the walls between the compartments need to be folded the opposite way, which is a bit tricky:

This should give you something like this:

Next step is to fold in the sides towards the middle:

The paper should then look like this:

...and be ready for the shaping, which is the most tricky part:

The easiest way seems to be bottoms up as that limits the tendency to ehm... autonomous unfolding

And flip:

The extra wall piece on one of the parts, can be used to overlap with the other for greater stability:

However I later found that it was easier to just fold the "Overlap" piece down between the two parts of the insert. That seems sufficiently stable, so I didn't actually glue it.

Ready for insertion:

The insert seems a bit too long at first but it should fit tightly for stability.

And finally:

The Japanese units, which are most numerous fit nicely:

The China-box (heh) can be used to store the variuos common counters etc:

The final result:

My 8 months old assistant: & son

I hope you will find the inserts useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy wellens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
great job! i will definately be using this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude,

That is freakin sweet! I was buying stuff at hobby stores and nothing really fit well. I have no idea what the cashiers at the craft store think when I buy all of these bead boxes...maybe I am a crafty guy?

I will be working on these this weekend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Yope
United States
Saint Clair
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

A young Elvis, complete with a green jumpsuit!

It a wonder what you can do with paper and a computer program these days!

What?!?!? Parts divider? Oh, that's what this thread is about!

Good work friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kuhn
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! Does this count as "Folding@Home"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how mine turned out using black card stock.

Excellent work on designing these templates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
msg tools
mbmb
Wow I wish I had a printer. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to stuff like this, but I would actually use my weekend to make those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob_A_Mickelson wrote:
Here is how mine turned out using black card stock.

Excellent work on designing these templates.

Good job! They look amazing and somewhat more stable than mine.

Did you have any printing / size issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burton
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I printed one on 8.5 by 11 inch papaer....it came out small...I didnt see at first you need bigger paper for that diagram...do you have a compatable design for 8.5 x 11 in. (216 x 279 mm)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny9690 wrote:
I printed one on 8.5 by 11 inch papaer....it came out small...I didnt see at first you need bigger paper for that diagram...do you have a compatable design for 8.5 x 11 in. (216 x 279 mm)?

I tried to modify the Visio page size to the one you suggested ("Letter"), but then you would have to print four different documents for each box, resulting in several joints. Are you really interested in that, or could you perhaps find some other format that is closer to A3 (210x279mm)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burton
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A3 is 297 x 420mm it said in your fist instructions...and my printer is not big enough to hold paper that size....if its not too much trouble for you, I would definately use the 4 sheets and assemble it. I have a full pack of cardstock paper. 8.5 x 11 in.(216 x 279mm)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny9690 wrote:
A3 is 297 x 420mm it said in your fist instructions...and my printer is not big enough to hold paper that size....if its not too much trouble for you, I would definately use the 4 sheets and assemble it. I have a full pack of cardstock paper. 8.5 x 11 in.(216 x 279mm)

I have just submitted a version for Letter size printing. I don't know when it will be approved, but I will give an update here as soon as that happens.

Look for the file named DIY tuck box insert [Letter format printing] or something like that.

EDIT: The file is here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52700/diy-tuck-box-ins...

Note that it is actually only one page, that you need to print in 15 copies total.

Please report back, and let us know how it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burton
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just saw your link...I give it a try later tonight....I have to go out right now...I will let you know how it worked out.
Thanks again.
Johnny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burton
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I made one set up. Its great. It may not be as snug as your example with A3 paper, however I am very pleased and thankful for it.
Thanks again.

P.S.
I made the second one. It came out even better. This time I didn't tape all the connections together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
msg tools
How did you make it with black cardstock? If you print out the images you can't see the lines on the paper.
My cardstock is black on both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bikenut wrote:
How did you make it with black cardstock? If you print out the images you can't see the lines on the paper.
My cardstock is black on both sides.

1) Print on normal paper
2) Place said paper over black cardboard (make sure it stays in the same place)
3) Stick a needle through both at all the intersections of the lines.
4) Refer to printed original while cutting and folding black cardboard according to the holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Newcombe
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remo williams
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmb
ozimek wrote:
As you probably know, the tuck boxes in [thing=55829]I hope you will find the inserts useful.

Just made a set for both my new AAP1940 2e and AAE1940 2e and they are brilliant! Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
These work great, thank you so much for taking the time to design these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.