Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lambert
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Hello. I've been working on a pretty cool Seafarers scenario that I would like to share with the community soon. So far I've got the rules written out in a Word doc, and I've taken photos of the board with my digital camera - in various versions, as I've been tweaking and balancing it and remaking it for different numbers of players.

What I'd like is a free program or combination of programs that will let me generate hex fields and paint them with colors corresponding to terrain types, as well as overlaying numbers, port symbols, etc. That way I can continue editing the scenario on my computer, without having to have the board all over my office floor [I've already put a couple creases in my Seafarers frame rolling over it with my chair =o] I know there are some folks here who have done this many times. What programs do you need in order to do it right?

Thanks,

James L

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurble?
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few free vector based programs that I know of. Inkscape has been mentioned before. You could also try Raven, a browser-based tool that is part of the Aviary suite of tools. Aviary also has a raster editor called Phoenix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Draw program from the OpenOffice suite. It's a free download...

http://OpenOffice.org

It won't do a whole hex GRID in one fell swoop. It does, however, have hex objects built-in, and you can build a layer of adjacent hexes and save it as a template (I just did one as a test and it took me just a few minutes).

Added bonus: You can export your work to a PDF file without having to own the full Adobe Acrobat.

BTW, kudos on the Seafarers scenario idea. I've often wondered why we have no more scenarios for my favorite expansion. I suspect that one of the reasons that some people don't like it is that most of the scenarios that come in the box are flops.

Mayfair should take a hint from what Days of Wonder did with Memoir '44... encourage user-submitted scenarios, and even have scenario-building software available. Hmmm, maybe I should pitch the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Gimp, which is essentially free version of Photoshop
http://www.gimp.org/

edit:
Actually, there is a free online app specifically meant for making catan maps (3rd edition). Check it out: http://home.centurytel.net/truth/mapmaker/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.