Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
If you've made a donation, or planning to make a donation to aid in any fund that's providing relief to Haiti, we'll match your donation in GeekGold. Just send a copy of your receipt or proof of donation, and username, with the subject line - Haiti Donation to contact@geekdo.com and we'll update your account within a few days.

Red Cross Donation Page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Das
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very fine offer indeed. Is the GG matching open to donations made to official national relief funds?

Regardless, for the Netherlands go through:
Samenwerkende Hulporganisaties (SHO) (also known as Giro555).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of Swedish Relife organisations that is involved and how they plan to take part (In Swedish)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article6437134.ab

---

(And yes how do you handle the international part of this, I guess the basic thing would be to use US$ as the exchange rate so it is fair on all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already donated through our company (as a payroll deduction) who will then match it and send it to the Australian Red Cross Haiti Fund. Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, BGG, thanks for this noble initiative!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, time to try some accounting tricks to donate more Wonderful initiative Aldie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Saint John
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fierman wrote:
Sorry if I don't understand this.. but I don't see how aid organizations can benefit from a geekgold donation.

You donate real money, and in return get that many Geek Gold added to your account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
fierman wrote:
Sorry if I don't understand this.. but I don't see how aid organizations can benefit from a geekgold donation.

Otherway around, we give real money to relife organisations, and for that we get geekgold.

We more or less exchange real money to geekgold by giving it to relife organisations

edit:

Is there a minimum amount to give though, as we here can donate via textmessage / SMS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hwang
United States
Elmsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
donate via textmessage / SMS.

The following organizations are accepting SMS donations in the US only:

* SMS text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts
* SMS text “YELE” to 501501 to Donate $5 to Yele Haiti’s Earthquake Relief efforts
* SMS text "GIVE10" to 20222 to donate $10 to Direct Relief
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should post this elsewhere, but my wife and I are looking to make a decent sized donation to helping in Haiti. However we would like to make the donation to a church/Christian based charity. Does anyone know of one like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Andreasi Bassi
Italy
Forli
Italy
flag msg tools
MERKNERA
mbmbmbmbmb
Cos'abbiamo in Italia?
Z.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
zamana wrote:
Cos'abbiamo in Italia?
Z.

Un elenco di possiblità (sicuramente non esaustivo): http://www.dillinger.it/terremoto-haiti-come-aiutare-39274.h...

(A list of possiblities, surely not complete.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
Maybe I should post this elsewhere, but my wife and I are looking to make a decent sized donation to helping in Haiti. However we would like to make the donation to a church/Christian based charity. Does anyone know of one like this?

http://www.crcna.org/pages/crwrc.cfm is one that we've used - they do great work. This is the page for the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, it appears that is perfect for what I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foster
United States
Eagle Bend
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is one. And if you donate all the proceeds will go directly to aid as the administrative costs of the organization are paid for out of the United Methodist Church's annual budget.

The link below will bring you directly to the Haiti relief donation page.

http://secure.gbgm-umc.org/donations/umcor/donate.cfm?code=4...

Peace,
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
A very fine offer indeed. Is the GG matching open to donations made to official national relief funds?

Regardless, for the Netherlands go through:
Samenwerkende Hulporganisaties (SHO) (also known as Giro555).

We made a donation to Giro 555 already, I could make a screenshot of my bank transfer

I hope everybody can donate some, lots of little bits will become a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

There is an organization out there called the "Tin Roof Society". They currently have some people on the ground in Haiti doing relief work as they speak.

You can find some information here: http://www.facebook.com/tinroofsociety
and here - http://www.firstmedina.org/base.cfm?page_id=1113

This is going off of memory, as the former youth pastor at our church (and one of the founders of the Tin Roof Society) announced this yesterday. I think he leaves for Haiti some time this week, and one of the other members is already there. We did a collection after church for the organization yesterday.

I also know that there is a Catholic-based relief organization that has been in Haiti for over 35 years, but I do not remember their name. Their Haiti director was interviewed on 20/20 last Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fierman wrote:

The idea is that Aldie is offering incentives to encourage people to donate. So they will benifit from increased donations. Even if just one single person donates who wouldn't otherwise have (because of Aldie's offer) I think its worth it.

And of course people who otherwise would have donated anyway get a little recognization of thier efforts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Partners in Health is another organization that has been doing work in Haiti for over 20 years. For anyone who might be interested, their founder, Dr. Paul Farmer, was profiled in Tracy Kidder's book Mountains Beyond Mountains. It's a great read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

www.worldvision.org should meet your needs. They do wonderful work around the world and already have people in Haiti (I believe giving to an organization that already has a presence there helps get things done a little quicker). They are one of many groups, but are probably who I will be going through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geberus wrote:
DanKD wrote:

The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is one. And if you donate all the proceeds will go directly to aid as the administrative costs of the organization are paid for out of the United Methodist Church's annual budget.

The link below will bring you directly to the Haiti relief donation page.

http://secure.gbgm-umc.org/donations/umcor/donate.cfm?code=4...

Peace,
Dan

Yes, UMCOR is the one my wife and I donate to for this reason. 100% goes to Haiti. Also, our pastor informed us yesterday that the director of UMCOR was in Haiti at the time of the quake and was one of the many who sadly lost their lives. May he and everyone else who has passed from this tragedy rest in peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking the donomination of currencies. Is the translation into US$ for the purposes of your banner and target of 10,000?

How will you handle currencies other than the US$?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we've donated through our place of worship (via Check), is there a mechanism to handle that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

chrisnd wrote:
I also know that there is a Catholic-based relief organization that has been in Haiti for over 35 years, but I do not remember their name. Their Haiti director was interviewed on 20/20 last Friday.

The organization you're trying to remember is Catholic Relief Services: http://crs.org/ - They've been working in Haiti for years (so they already have some organization). Unlike some other agencies, a lot of their buildings and support infrastructure is still intact (probably due to having projects throughout the country, though their headquarters in Port au Prince is miraculous still in place (I almost wrote undamaged, but I think that there is very little there that is not damaged in some way)), and they already have increased the relief supplies and workers that would already be flowing to Haiti. My wife and I give to CRS on a monthly basis and have already given an extra donation this week (and intend to give a couple more later on in the year, once the public spotlight is off and the hard work of rebuilding is really going).

Aldie, this is the sort of action that sets BGG apart from other on-line communities. Yes, a lot of them are doing this kind of fund-raising right now, but we have, time after time, initiated this sort of thing (frequently from the user end of things). Thanks for rewarding good intent and human kindness!

Edits: to incorporate other postings and clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

Catholic Relief Services is one of the largest, highest-rated and most transparent relief aid organization. If you watch breaking coverage of these disasters, you may have noticed they are usually among the first to respond and have a presence in the afflicted area

http://crs.org/

Ratings: http://www.ministrywatch.com/profile/catholic-relief-service...

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Relief_Services
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.