25 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cri Leo
msg tools

Hi all!
I'd like to know how to customize cards (for private use only of course) and using them in Dominion.
I read some time ago a post about templates or something.
Is it possible to do?
Thanks in advance for any advice and answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Templates are here:

As for how to do it - simple. Sleeve your cards, then design custom ones, print and cut them out and insert in the sleeves.

Also, Jay from RGG said that blank cards will be available for purchase in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cri Leo
msg tools
Thanks! It's right what i was lookin for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few more blank cards:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the official font is Trajan Pro, but it's not free.

You might want to try this one as a replacement: http://www.dafont.com/optimusprinceps.font

And the text in the body is just Times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cri Leo
msg tools
Thx again!
Just another question...
How can i insert images "under" the card layout template?
Because i've tried to paste a picture on the template, but from i've seen in several cards here on BGG the image is perfectly inserted in the layout.
Sorry for my english, hope you understand my question.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CriLeo wrote:
Thx again!
Just another question...
Because i've tried to paste a picture on the template, but from i've seen in several cards here on BGG the image is perfectly inserted in the layout.
Thanks!

You'll need to use something like Gimp or photoshop and work with layers. The image you want to use will be on a layer below the card template. Then you can use the magic want to select and delete the black area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cri Leo
msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Tremblay
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
These could be used to create a template in Magic Set Editor!

Everyone could create custom cards!

(No, I don't know how to make templates...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cri Leo
msg tools
monteslu wrote:
CriLeo wrote:
Thx again!
Just another question...
Thanks!

You'll need to use something like Gimp or photoshop and work with layers. The image you want to use will be on a layer below the card template. Then you can use the magic want to select and delete the black area.

Sorry but i tried several times and i can't do that. It's very clear in words, but using Gimp i can't do the right thing. Could you kindly write me down some passages in order to insert imgaes in the templates? I really, really want to succeed in creat custom cards like the ones i see on BGG...Thx again for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Flickner
msg tools
baba44713 wrote:
Templates are here:

As for how to do it - simple. Sleeve your cards, then design custom ones, print and cut them out and insert in the sleeves.

Also, Jay from RGG said that blank cards will be available for purchase in the near future.

How do you recommend printing the cards? Do you print them on thicker paper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CriLeo wrote:
monteslu wrote:
CriLeo wrote:
Thx again!
Just another question...
Thanks!

Sorry but i tried several times and i can't do that. It's very clear in words, but using Gimp i can't do the right thing. Could you kindly write me down some passages in order to insert imgaes in the templates? I really, really want to succeed in creat custom cards like the ones i see on BGG...Thx again for your help!

This is kind of a big topic. I suggest looking up tutorials on using Gimp or Photoshop and playing around a little bit before attempting the cards. You need to be familiar with layers, transparency, exporting images to png/jpg, cutting & pasting, magic wand, etc.

I personally prefer Gimp because it's free. The user interface is not very intuitive, but it does everything I need it to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nflickner wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
Templates are here:

Nope. I recommend printing them on a thin paper. The idea is to put them in the sleeve in front of a regular Dominion card, that way you can seamlessly use them with other cards.

If you do not use sleeves, you might want to wait for those "official" blanks and print out customs on sticker paper. However, the above principle is practical and reusable, and sleeves are a good choice anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaka Zulu
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone offer their Photoshop templates where you already set the fonts and layers at the right position & right font size, so new card makers need only to put in the picture and write the bottom Text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Vintermark
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No disrespect to whoever made the Action - Victory and Duration cards available, but it would be really nice to see a copy of those cards with the same standard as the other cards (Action, Reaction, Victory and so forth) posted here at BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mills
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
biggidi wrote:
Can anyone offer their Photoshop templates where you already set the fonts and layers at the right position & right font size, so new card makers need only to put in the picture and write the bottom Text?

This is a Gimp based template with lots of different kinds of Kingdom cards. It shouldn't be too hard to use even if you haven't used Gimp before, just check the comments section for directions. http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/56721/dominion-card-templa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaka Zulu
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much. Meanwhile i already made my own Photoshop CS3 template because i figured out nobody could help me at that time. I uploaded my templates also, so it will need about 2 weeks to be approved by BGG.

Edit:
Okay, here is my Photoshop CS3 Version of it. It's nothing near from perfect, so feel free to edit it and upload a better version:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/57516/adobe-photoshop-...

It features:
- Choose with/without Corners
- Custom Logo
- Includes Free OptimusPrinceps Font (Like the licensed Adobe Minion Pro)
- Preselected Bottom-Title: Action, Action-Reaction, Action-Attack, Action-Victory, Treasure, Victory
- Includes preparated Blanks: Victory, Treasure, Action-Duration, Action-Reaction, Action-Victory, Action

So you only have to choose out of a dropdown the layers:
Cost, Blank, Type, Extras and add your Text and Picture.

If you want the exact original fonts you need the licensed fonts: Adobe Minion Pro (Headlines) and Adobe Trajan Pro (Cost)

Here is the same template for german cards:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/57515/adobe-photoshop-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon GreenFire
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Where do you get images from? I can't find any good ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah McClure
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried printing onto The big address labels using one of these templates? Using cards from a replacement deck you should be able to get fairly identical cards by sticking the labels onto an actual card (blank or otherwise)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lauren tyoodles
msg tools
Nflickner wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
Templates are here:

this website lets you buy custom cards, and its really easy to add text and custom pictures to the fronts and backs of cards. 1-15 cards is $7.99

http://www.printerstudio.com/personalized/custom-playing-car...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Printer's Studio has 5 sizes (and Make Playing Cards has more!), none of them are the same size as Dominion cards. They aren't made the same either, so they have a different feel. Getting the colors on the backs to match would also be tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Madison
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an improvement on the Gimp template.

The layers are named and it has a card layer for Actions, Treasure and Victory/Curses which are grouped with aligned text boxes. It includes an example card as well as an overlay of the original so you can make sure the alignment is right, someone could do the same with the other types of cards.

You will need to get/have the following fonts:

Trajan Pro Bold (Titles)
Minion Pro Bold (cost)
Times New Roman Regular/Bold (Descriptions)

There are a number of places it seems you can download the fonts for free, though I don't know if they are legal copies.

It's provided as a gzipped .xcf file (gimp should be able to read it straight away)

Enjoy!

http://fringe.davesource.com/Fringe/Entertainment/Games/Domi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a custom card template, adding some features to the ones above.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=532FFE9627A0D121!1836&... (.xcf format, 24mb)

It's a work in progress, & the link goes to the file I'm working on, so it will change.

Requires GIMP & the font "Trajan Pro". Make cards by hiding the layers you don't want, typing in text fields, then exporting as a jpeg. Should be straightforward if you know the GIMP tools.

EDIT TO ADD:

Does anyone know if there's a Dominion template for Magic Set Editor? (Or any other ccg card editor?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corinthian_85 wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a Dominion template for Magic Set Editor? (Or any other ccg card editor?)

I've also been searching. It seems crazy that for a game this popular that has been out so long there isn't one readily available, this thread seems so close to producing fruit but unless Reality Glitch returns to the thread and drops the link like a bro the trail might be cold:

http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/3319?page=1

I'd like to convert my collection to files to use with Tabletop Simulator (with custom additions, of course) so that playing with long-distance friends is a realistic option but that sounds like a really tedious task without the use of a program like MSE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Gomez
msg tools
how do I change the picture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.