Subject: I don't get the terrain cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one thing that I don't understand in this game. The terrain cards.

I just don't get why they aren't all set up, making a map, instead of being drawn from the deck. This is not an abstract combat like those on Up Front, but a specific battle, with specific terrain.

All terrain cards must go to a specific grid, so there is no space for surprise. Then, why can at first the germans cross a grid if the river has not shown up and, after the river has shown up, do they need to hold the bridge? The river was always there! The same for towns and ridges.

Is this just a gamey thing or does it represent a situation present in this battle?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Churgin
Israel
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Oddly enough I too just broke out my old copy of Nuts! and tried once again to figure it out. I must admit I felt a bit stupid trying to understand the terrain cards. Are units allowed into a grid area until teh card is played? Or are they allowed in and receive no terrain benefits? The fact that no one else asked that question and it wasn't addressed in the errata dove me, uh, nuts . From your comment (i missed this part of the rules) I assume that units are allowed into these grid areas but act as if the terrain doesn't exist until the card exists. I admit I have no idea what this is supposed to represent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, units can move to any cell in the grid even though its terrain has not appeared yet. Some cells don't have any terrain card.

I've set up all the cards were they are intended to go and noticed that all town/city cards are German cards while all river/woods cards are American cards.

Clean cells can be traversed while wood cards give protection to the defender and river cards force the attacker to control a city card with a bridge to cross it. So Americans will want river/woods cards to stop the Germans while Germans will want city/bridge cards to cross the rivers.

So I guess that the intention is to make terrain appear unexpectedly to force the attacker to change plans. Maybe... "We can cross the Meuse before the Americans set up the roadblock". Then the American player plays the river card. "Oh no, now we will have to capture the bridge". The the German player must wait for the city card to play it and capture it.

It still seems a little odd for me, as the rivers and the cities are always there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Churgin
Israel
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Got it, thanks for the help (although I agree with you that it is a pretty strange system).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
It is indeed an odd one. I personally enjoy the surprise element of the unexpected terrain appearances in this game, but it is a bit strange for terrain to not be relevant until it 'appears'.

Do you have any idea of the geographical area covered by the squares? It may be that the forced playing of a terrain card means there is now a significant chance that fighting in that area will pass through that feature, whereas previously manoeuvreing, fortunes of war etc would allow the Germans to bypass it? Still does not account for the rivers, though...

If it's of any interest, I have tried playing with all terrain laid out prior to play. It seems to me to give the Allies a huge defensive advantage (no complaints, as I normally play that side [grins]), and shortens the time the Germans have to reach the other end of the 'board'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Played it for the first time today at Ducosim in Amersfoort (The Netherlands) with a friend. And I loved the game. By coincedence (spelling?!) there was one copy left at a stand.... immediately bought it!!

The terrain is clear until someone plays a terrain card. The way I see it is that the soldiers fight over terrain what is available and in range and when a city is played, the city will get used.
For some it can feel odd, for mee it feels ok. But then, I also like Waterloo, Gettysburg, Shiloh and Bull Run from dixie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McElhannon
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
The idea of the terrain cards was to capture the fluid nature of the battle. Some terrain gets bypassed if the Germans move fast enough. The trick for the allies is to slow the Germans down and still have enough troops left to defend the terrain WHEN it shows up and finally becomes important.

So..to answer the mystery of why the terrain is not all placed out on the board. The designers intent was to capture the fluid nature of the battle and how seemingly insignificant pieces of terrain could suddenly become THE MOST IMPORTANT place on the field.

It's a think outside the box kind of approach. I enjoy playing it that way..but then again...I designed it..so I'm biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.