Subject: Solo Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solo_variant [+] [View All]
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read in the forum here awhile back about a solo variant. It was just a mention, so could someone kindly point me to the solo rules? I appreciate it.

I think this game is ridiculously addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I think this game is ridiculously addictive.

That is so true! We have been playing this game for several months and really enjoy it.

Haven't seen any solo variants yet, but the game has not been out long, so no doubt someone will provide one. Keep checking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't seem to get enough of this game. The whole experience is relaxing and very interesting at the same time. Thanks much for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my solo variant - let me know what you think.

Follow the usual game rules except:

Ra starts on the 2 player space and your scoring marker starts at 0.

Pharoah track - do not place a starting marker, just add 1 marker each time a die shows a pharoah. Each cube counts as 1 point and they are all removed after scoring.

Monuments - there are no bonuses for having multiple markers in a column (this only works when playing 2p+). However, for each colour that has no monument you lose 5 points at the end of the game.

Disasters - if 4 dice show the sun symbol the 5th die is then re-rolled. The disasters are as follows:
Monument - remove 2 monument markers
Pharoah - remove 2 pharoah markers
Nile - remove 1 nile marker
Civalisation - remove 1 marker
Sun or Ankh - lose 2 points

If markers cannot be removed lose 1 point for each.

Play 3 rounds as usual.

Let me know if this works for you and post some of your highscores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chilliface wrote:
Here's my solo variant - let me know what you think.

Thanks for posting your ideas.

chilliface wrote:

Follow the usual game rules except:

Ra starts on the 2 player space and your scoring marker starts at 0.

Sounds right.

chilliface wrote:

Pharoah track - do not place a starting marker, just add 1 marker each time a die shows a pharoah. Each cube counts as 1 point and they are all removed after scoring.

This seems to lose a lot of the original flavor, where Pharoahs (unlike ships) are an all-or-nothing prospect. My proposal is: Move your Pharoah cube just like in the official game. At the end of an epoch, if you have at least 6 Pharoahs, you score 10 points. Otherwise, zero. They are then cleared so your goal next epoch will be another 6.

This has the effect that after you have passed the threshold, more Pharoahs don't help...which is not entirely different from a non-solo game where your opponents cede the Pharoah victory to you. I suppose instead of clearing the Pharoahs at the end of an epoch, you could just move the token back 6 spaces (never past zero), so having extra Pharoahs would be useful. You could never have more than 12 Pharoahs.

Another possible variation would be to have a dummy opponent Pharoah token that moves random amounts at various times, so the goal would not always be exactly six. I think this would be better, but I haven't yet figured out a good mechanism.

chilliface wrote:

Monuments - there are no bonuses for having multiple markers in a column (this only works when playing 2p+). However, for each colour that has no monument you lose 5 points at the end of the game.

Actually, I think the official rules work ok with just one player. In three cases, I compared the resulting scores if you tried for columns first, then filled in columns where you could, versus filling in columns as compactly as possible. The score differences were negligible. That was also true in one two-player game I analyzed.

A different variation would be to score the normal bonus for the number of columns, and then score 5 points if you have at least one block in each of 3 colors, 10 if you have 4 colors, and 15 if you have all 5 colors. The problem is that at the end of each of my games, I had about 15 monuments, so it's hard not to cover all 5 colors.

chilliface wrote:

Disasters - if 4 dice show the sun symbol the 5th die is then re-rolled. The disasters are as follows:
Monument - remove 2 monument markers
Pharoah - remove 2 pharoah markers
Nile - remove 1 nile marker
Civalisation - remove 1 marker
Sun or Ankh - lose 2 points

If markers cannot be removed lose 1 point for each.

In the original game, disasters are good for you and hurt the other players. In a solo game, I would prefer for disasters to benefit you. The simple rule I am trying is that if you roll 4 suns, you can treat them as three Pharoahs, three ships, three civilizations, or three monuments. For civilizations and monuments, you can only choose one of the four sun colors. If you roll 5 suns, they are worth 5 of any of those.

chilliface wrote:

Play 3 rounds as usual.

Let me know if this works for you and post some of your highscores.

Ships are interesting, because in my first two solo games I very quickly hit the end of the row. From then on, ship dice were worthless. And later in each epoch, Pharoahs were also worthless. I'm thinking that's not a bad thing from a game play standpoint, because the penalty for moving ships too far too early will be more scoreless dice near the end of the game.

Playing with my rules outlined above, in my one complete game so far I scored 93. My second epoch was horrible, scoring almost no points due to RA moving at light speed, no flooding, and not enough Pharoahs.

In a solo game, RA moves at half the speed of a 2-player game. However, in solo play, there is a direct relationship between a fast RA and a low score. In a multi-player game, RA can move fast, but you can still do better than the others and win. In solo, slow=good and fast=bad. There is more incentive to try to slow RA down by going for disasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.