15 Posts

Pandemic: On the Brink» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification of the New Assignment Special Event Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mik B
Australia
flag msg tools
We've played OTB a few times now and we're uncertain as to whether the wording on the card means all players may change their roles if desired when it is played, or only one. The wording is, "Any player, including the current player, may discard their current Role card and select a new one from the unused ones in the box". We've currently been playing that when it is played, only person gets to change their current role. Could the wording be clarified please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the card is played on a player. that player may swap out their role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
the card is played on a player. that player may swap out their role.

Agreed. It is used to change the role of a single player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Forgues
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also play that way. Only one player may discard his Role Card and choose a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vriezen
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I first saw the card playing Pandemic on BSW, and there it lets all players change their role. Current player, then each person picks following turn order.

As such, that's how I've been resolving the action whenever my group plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
browzilla wrote:
I first saw the card playing Pandemic on BSW, and there it lets all players change their role. Current player, then each person picks following turn order.

It's still wrong, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
browzilla wrote:

As such, that's how I've been resolving the action whenever my group plays.

It does not appear particularly clear and as such I don't consider this question to be officially answered until Tom or Matt answer it themselves. My preference is to interpret it BSW's way, but I suppose it does seem to sound like it only would allow one player to change roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
browzilla wrote:

It's still wrong, however.

The german card states "Jeder Spieler" (every player). BSW based the mplementation on ther german version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
The german card states "Jeder Spieler" (every player). BSW based the implementation on ther german version.

This translation is incorrect. Matt's and my intent is that any *one* player may change their role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer answered it long ago:

Tom Lehmann wrote:
Others have said this, but to reiterate: New Assignment lets any *one* player pick a new role.

Re: Special events are weaker than those in the base game

It's likely someone mis-translated the German instructions/components, and BSW went off of that error.

ninja'd by the uber-attentive designer! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Quote:
The german card states "Jeder Spieler" (every player). BSW based the implementation on ther german version.

This translation is incorrect. Matt's and my intent is that any *one* player may change their role.

It is now officially answered. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Quote:

Holy crap, my second off-line game of Pandemic: On the Brink was a win, but we played this card incorrectly, the way BSW does (and the way I assumed it worked).

I now consider that game a loss for the same reason you wouldn't consider a game of Pandemic won just because you put the cure markers on the board without discarding anything and shouted, "We win! Woo-hoo!"

That being said, a reprint of On the Brink might benefit from a rephrasing: "Any one player. . ."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Chen
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another clarification Q about this card. By "select" does this mean the player CHOOSES the role, or is it a random/dealt selection from the remaining unused roles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jenerationx wrote:
By "select" does this mean the player CHOOSES the role?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Chen
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Tom!!

Jen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.