Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On Wednesday we held the first meeting of the Paisley games group, with three in attendance. Naturally we'd like more there but it's a start.

If you're interested in coming along to the next one, currently scheduled for sometime in March, then please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOKYO Heartbroken
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurrah! You only need three people to start. Keep plugging away, and it will grow.

If the group is in a public venue, you should post all the details here. The easier you make it for people to find you, the faster your group will get established.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the group is in a public venue, you should post all the details here. The easier you make it for people to find you, the faster your group will get established.

At present we're meeting in someone's home so I don't want to publish the details here. If there are enough responses then we'll look at somewhere which can accommodate the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news, we seem to be a bit light on game groups in Scotland. Keep at it.

I don't know if you have tried this yet but what about searching for local geeks and mailing them to see if they are interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried that before and got a few replies. I am now hoping that people will read this thread and join up (are you reading this Eric Ridley??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mitchell
msg tools
mb
If you've not already - you should post it up on www.scottishgaming.co.uk. I know you've been on there before. People used to run a group out of the social hall at St Georges' Cross in Glasgow (sorry don't remember the name of the hall), so perhaps places like that would be suitable for a venue. If it's a community thing you might get heavily subsidised hall/room rental also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly this group failed to meet again for various reasons. Pity really because I know that there are gamers around here, they just don't seem keen to meet up. Either that or it's something I've said which is putting them off.

Thanks for the tips. I will put a post onto the Scottish Gaming Forum, which is something which I would really like to see grow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith

EYE of NiGHT wrote:

...plus, when you've got a few more people, establish a guild on this site (if you haven't done so already- I haven't checked).

Re: meeting in people's homes: agreed, not a good idea to publish their address in a public forum, but what you could do is say something like "We tend to meet in the [name of pub] on a Wednesday". Even if you don't, or not very often, you could drop by ocasionally and see if anyone rocks up. Then, when you become a bit more firmly established you could suggest colonising a (possibly) more congenial pub and advertising the meets formally.

Another option is to check out the excellent meetup.com site- lots of game groups use it already.

Good luck.

Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very interested in finding out more about this group if it's still going? I work up the road in Bridge of Weir and I live in Dumbarton so getting to Paisley would be really easy for me.

The only hitch is that I work on an eight day shift rotation so I'm not always available on a fixed day of the week, every week. However, I can give plenty of notice of availabilty if that helps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly the group folded after its first meeting. I don't recall being especially obnoxious or loud but something obviously happened! Anyway, if you fancy a two player ftf then I live in Kilmacolm so it's pretty local to Bridge of Weir

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to tell you that I'm pretty new to board gaming. I play Arkham Horror mostly (albeit still slowly) but have a few more games in my collection. I had originally wanted to attend a gaming club or session just to get a feel for things and see what games were out there and how they play. As such, I don't know if I'd be much use to you as yet until I built up some experience!

That said, I'm up for trying out anything new. Would you mind me asking what FTF is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Prestonpans
East Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scopa wrote:
Sadly the group folded after its first meeting. I don't recall being especially obnoxious or loud but something obviously happened!

Did these people give you any reasons why they didn't come along again? I'd join you for some gaming but Paisley is just that bit too far away for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xibxang wrote:
I have to tell you that I'm pretty new to board gaming. I play Arkham Horror mostly (albeit still slowly) but have a few more games in my collection. I had originally wanted to attend a gaming club or session just to get a feel for things and see what games were out there and how they play. As such, I don't know if I'd be much use to you as yet until I built up some experience!

That said, I'm up for trying out anything new. Would you mind me asking what FTF is?

Face-to-face - as distinct to online. Ftf is what I would call normal boardgaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
Face-to-face - as distinct to online. Ftf is what I would call normal boardgaming!

D'oh! Of course! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
radioshed wrote:
Did these people give you any reasons why they didn't come along again?

There were only three of us and one I meet most weeks (we used to work together) for a weekly pilgrimage to Static. The other decided that he had too much going on in his life to game so decided to stop completely. Hopefully I had nothing to do with that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.