Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Are there any University of Toronto faculty members or students on BGG? I'm a prof (well, a senior lecturer!) at U of T, and would like to know if there would be any interest on-campus for board gaming events, groups, etc. or if there are any already in place.
I'm new to the whole BG world and although I would love to play more I don't have much of a chance (young family, extreme baby-induced exhaustion). If I can figure out a way to play while at work... Bingo!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there have been some informal gaming sessions at Hart House, but nothing on a regular basis.

I know of some people who have been interested in downtown lunchtime gaming over at the Toronto Area Boardgaming Society (www.tabsonline.net). There are also two groups at Meetup.com (TAG and TBGS, I think). You could always try there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marc,

I'm a visiting grad student, also part-time lecturer.. and I use U of T as my work place. I looked for such a club but could not find it. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't exist; which is a shame.

I would like to meet up and play some games on campus.

If we can get a few others we can make it a small group! I know a few people who also work at U of T who might be interested. It'd be good to find more on here too, though.

Edit: what day/times did you have in mind?
Edit: I've just been told that Hart House is available for this but it is sometimes hard to find space.. and the one room that's available is small and supposed to be reserved as a quiet space. However, if we were to start a games club.. which U of T needs anyway, then we can reserve space for it. I don't know what kind of responsibilities come with that, but I'll look into it.

Let me know,
Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Aranda
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bunch of us play regularly at the Hart House on Saturdays. We usually begin at about 11am and end around 5pm, although people come and go during that time.

If you'd rather play weekdays, we might have enough people to work something out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Marc,

I might be willing to start a gaming club at U of T.

Some info on here:

http://utsu.ca/section/8

And I'm currently in talks with another club runner to find out how much time commitment is involved.

But.. I'm generally interested in playing games during the week.. regardless of any club formation. (But at the very least it would mean we can reserve space for gaming sessions..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of a few people in the Yonge & Carlton area who get together during the day a couple times a week to play boardgames. Right now we play at 401 Games or the Ryerson hub but we could be convinced to venture out to U of T once it warms up a bit outside if your gaming tastes match our own. Our usual selection includes games like Agricola, Le Havre, and Through the Ages. I'll definitely watch this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! As I say, I'm a real novice in the world of BGing, so I don't really know what type of games that I like to play yet. I am in the gateway game stage and really like the three that I have (Carcassonne, TTR, SoC), but I would like to try others like Agricola, Twilight Struggle, Dominion, etc. I don't really know if I'll like worker placement games, war games, abstracts, etc. but I sure like reading about them! Some of my grad students turned me on to SoC, and many of them would probably be interested in something like this. I don't have any time outside of work to pursue this fledgling hobby, but I recently became a full-time faculty member with a continuing position at U of T, and I thought that I could parlay this interest into something that would benefit some students on campus, too. Anyway, I will look into what's possible for an on-campus group, and I will update this thread as I sort it out.

I am going to send out a couple of PMs to Jorge and Marc, and maybe I'll see you two on campus. I'm actually located on the UTM campus, but spend two days a week on St. George.

Thanks!

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marc,

How restricted is your schedule for this.. like, specifically? I'm into those games and could teach you some new ones like them. I work at St. George campus mostly, but sometimes I work from home in Etobicoke. UTM isn't too far away.

Are you supervising grad students at UTM or downtown campus? Do you think they would join us? What are their schedules like?

I'm trying to find out if you're suggesting meeting during the day or weeknights. I've ruled out weekends based on what you've said so far, but I'm still guessing

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,

Welcome to the Toronto gaming community!

A few years back I and a U of T Alumnus tried to strike up a liaison with the U of T club coordinator to try to get regular, scheduled and booked rooms at Hart House (and occasionally the OISE building) but we had a lot of trouble getting them to commit to specific rooms. In the end we dropped U of T as a potential site.

As others have mentioned there is the Toronto Area Boardgaming Society at http://www.tabsonline.net - a large organization with a wide variety of boardgaming backgrounds.

If you're more interested in wargames, Canucks Amuck is a wargaming focused group at http://www.meetup.com/canucksamuck .

TAG - Toronto Area Gamers - is also another well run group whose focus is a little more on RPGs, but also has an active boargame component.
http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/

Hopefully you can find a group that's the right fit for you - good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

@kozure - well, I'd be interested in trying to leverage my position at the university to get something started up. I think these things are usually student-run, but I'll see what's possible. If anything comes of it I'll send you a message.

@Marc - I am only interested in daytime week-day sessions. I'd be interested in meeting up to try out a couple of games - I'll PM you about it and we can see if our schedule overlap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@sara - I'll let you know if any home-grown U of T club sprouts this Spring to offer another venue for game-playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Through the Ages last night with some friends until 3:30am and began discussing this thread with them. One of them is a Magic player and judge and he said there is an existing group of Magic players at U of T. He is a recent graduate so not officially an organizer of the group but he knows the organizer well and suggested that adding boardgaming to their existing group might be the best way to approach this instead of trying to start up a new club. If this is something you would consider, I can put you in touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sara,

Thanks, that would be great - maybe you can just direct your friend to this thread and we can contact each other that way. I appreciate the help! Actually, I just looked the club up and I'll will send an email to the organizer myself. I've seen students playing MTG in the student pub on the UTM campus but that was a while ago. I saw a group playing Monopoly a couple of days ago, too. I should have pointed them to BGG to see how much more there is...

Thanks for the tip!

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update..

I contacted some people and it looks like I can't start a club because I'm officially not a U of T student (I only work at U of T -- I'm actually a University of Alberta student).

I sent an email to the M:TG group last week about expanding their club but haven't heard from them.

It would be a shame if we couldn't get this going given our shared interest and the benefit to U of T students.

Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Aranda
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's too bad, Marc, I hope someone follows through and creates an official U of T group.

As a reminder to everyone interested, there's an (unofficial) group of gamers that gets together most Saturdays at 11am at the Hart House. PM me if you want in on the list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y G
msg tools
I am a ut engineering student. I have a club called recreation active club, however we didn't do much this year, if you need a club name to book a room or something, feel free to use. Anyway I would love to play some board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Silenieks
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm not sure how much folks are still checking this thread, but are you guys still playing board games at Hart house? any other board game meeting times? I work at St.George campus and I have been looking for a good group to play some games. Weekdays after 6PM are especially good time for me. Let me know if anyone plays on a regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo,

The only one I know about is the Hart House at 11 AM on Saturdays that Jorge mentioned above. As far as I know that is still going on.

I also work at the St. George campus; weekdays after 6 PM would work for better me. Saturdays mornings downtown don't work for me at all.

It's been difficult recruiting people or we've just gotten busy -- I don't know -- from what I can tell it's fallen to the wayside.. but I'm still interested if we can get a minimum of 3 or 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Silenieks
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That sounds great, we should try and get some people and try to meet up once a week or something. My fiance is into games too, so she may be interested. I'm going to see if I can get someone else as well. I just started to get more into BGs this year so I only know a few so far but I'm interested in learning how to play more titles.

btw, you are involved with very interesting research.

Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simply Not There
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
For people looking for gaming weekdays after 6pm in Toronto, here are a few ongoing, well-attended game nights that you should consider checking out. A wide variety of games are played, with a focus on popular euros.

Tuesdays @ 6pm - at 401 Games (Yonge & Gerard) - discussion @ www.tabsonline.net

Wednesdays @ 6pm - at 401 Games - discussion @ http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/

Wednesdays @ 6pm - at Dueling Grounds (Bloor & Dufferin) - discussion @ www.tabsonline.net

Thursdays @ 6pm - at Meeplemart (Dundas & Carlaw) - discussion @ www.tabsonline.net

zombie JOIN US!!!! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Leo: Excellent. My girlfriend is, too, depending on the game though. She likes some and really doesn't like others. But, I'm the same.. I just like more than she does Thanks for the comment about my research -- the University of Alberta is the place to go if you're interested in games. It helps that my supervisor's interests are really cool The UofA crowd are the ones who got me so interested in board gaming, too, actually.. they're quite a bunch. Suggest a date and I'll see if we can make it happen. I can try to get some of the other Hart House gamers out there as well. A few of them said that Thursday or Friday would work better for them. Are there any games you and your fiance like in particular? Take a look at my collection on BGG and I can teach you any one of them.

By the way, we could meet at one of the venues Bateman suggests. I've been to Dueling Grounds a few times. I have yet to go to 401, but I hear they attract a good crowd. Meeplemart is a bit too far east and is a bit awkward to get to for me, so I probably won't be there any time soon. The advantage to Hart House is that we wouldn't get booted at 10 or 10:30. The disadvantage is a smaller player pool and we're not always guaranteed to have a free table / gaming area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Silenieks
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sharky: That sounds like a great idea, I looked through your list and there are a lot of games I haven't tried but I'm very open to trying new things. I've heard positive comments on Caylus, Carcassone, El Grande, Power Grid, RA. I'm a pretty big fan of Settlers too. My inventory is a bit more limited, I only have Dominion, Agricola and Pandemic.

So anyway, apparently this Wednesday (april 21st) at 6PM there is a group meeting up at 401. I don't personally know the group but it may be a good way to meet and check out this group. It is also rather close to UofT, walking distance.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo: I'd love to.... but... Wednesday's no good as it overlaps with a Canadiens playoff game (I'm from Montreal, so it's excusable, I hope!) I've met a few people from TAG (the Wednesday 401 group) and they were all nice, so I suggest you still go and we can meet another time? Tuesday this week is no good for me either.

I'm a big fan of most of the games you pointed out. That said I'd love to learn Agricola (I've been meaning to do this for over a year).. and I'm a fan of the rest of the games you mention so I'd love to teach them.

I sent you a PM follow-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be starting a law degree at U of T starting this coming September, and I'll be staying in the Graduate House which is on the East part of campus. Between Hart on campus on Saturdays, 401 within walking distance on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and Meeplemart (good atmosphere and fantastic prices) on Thursdays, I'm seriously wondering where I'll be able to find the time to study! If anything, I'm going to have to ask you kindly NOT to start up a group on campus that plays during the week for the sake of my degree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Li
Canada
flag msg tools
I just saw this topic, but I am a student from the U of T Scarborough campus.

We have a student run club called Brainwave which is a board game club, although the last year or two, they seem to have abandoned the board games and play Magic exclusively, but that's for reasons I won't get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.