$10.00
THE JTSPECIAL-OID
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The opening paragraphs are copied from my "Worlds Finest" review, so if you just recently read that, feel free to skip down to the more relevant parts...

I, for one, am sad that Marvel Heroscape never moved beyond the Master set, and I have equally prayed, hoped and cursed at this picture many times:

Well, there´s alternatives, and let me guide you through one, that in my oppinion is the closest we´ll get to "official" superheroes at this moment, the C3G project!

First, an explanation about the C3G project. In the last couple of years, there´s been a lot of custom cards made, using Heroclix figures, for Heroscape superhero customs. These cards, to be found at Heroscapers.com, while many times both creative, imaginative and thematically interesting, have been the uncoordinated efforts of individuals, resulting in figures with wildly diverse relative power levels, costs, and synergy references.
The C3G project came about as a means to remedy this, a group effort to make superhero customs where individual power levels, costs, and synergy effects are fully coordinated and referenced, in relation to both the other C3G heroes, and official heroscape products. All new units are thoroughly playtested before being finalized, and "officially" released.
Since this is an unofficial expansion, there´s no products on offer. What you get is a set of very professionally made, official looking Heroscape cards, downloadable, for free, and then you have to buy some Heroclix figures yourself, and do a bit of creative rebasing.

"Rise of the Mutants"

All the unique, and uncommon, Heroes, and Villains, from the set.
(Common squads to be added at a later time...)

This was originally intended to be a "Master set", like the "Worlds Finest", including optional rules, glyphs and scenarios.
Along the way, the decision was made to scale it down to a "wave", so what you get, is the cards for 6 new X-Men, 5 members of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, one uncommon Sentinel Hero, and one squad of common Civilians...
I had looked forward to the full "Master set" treatment, especially the scenarios, but 11 new unique heroes, 1 uncommon hero and 1 common squad is still pretty decent for a free expansion!

Let me get the only bad parts out of the way, before I move on to the good stuff...
The Civilians... I´m sure that these guys were supposed to play an interesting part in the intended scenarios, but since these were dropped, we´re left with a common squad, that is not quite as interesting as the heroes themselves, or the Cops and Robbers from "Worlds Finest". I really hope that the C3G people return to this unexplored piece of potential.
It might seem ungratefull to be picky about what is esentially a free expansion unit, but apart from their usefullness in a cleverly designed scenario, I don´t see much need to draft these guys... *

Sadly, one more thing that might be a problem for you, is the uncommon Sentinel hero... this is a great figure/card, but if you want enough to fight a decent-sized group of X-Men, you´ll ned 5-6 of these, and unless you happen to have them lying around, or are willing to pay EBAY prices, you might have to find a suitable proxy figure. For me, at least, this is a bit of a problem, as I really want official figures, and this has led to some serious online spending... That aside, the Sentinel is a great unit! A suitable alternative is also suggested by the C3G people, along with the card download.

The rest of the wave includes the following:

X-Men:
-Professor X
-Cyclops
-Marvel Girl
-Beast
-Iceman
-Angel

Brotherhood of Evil Mutants:
-Magneto
-Toad
-Blob
-Mystique
-Pyro

I´m very happy that the X-Men chosen are the original members (with more promised in upcomming releases) and great effort has been put into making these guys work as a team, with some interesting synergy references. Team coordination revolves mainly around the Proffessor and Cyclops, quite appropriately.
And I think it´s a stroke of pure genious, that Professor X has a special power that uses the "X" order marker! This is a great example of making theme and mechanics go hand in hand! All the X-Men are medium level units, in the 100-200 points range, with Angel slightly under, and the Professor slightly over, a design choice that I fully agree with.
As a whole, the team has a good mix of offensive, and defensive abilities, with a good mix of both ranged and close combat ability.

The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants is a mix of original, Lee/Kirby 60s, and Claremont/Byrne 80s members. A great mix, but with no synergy references between them. I would have liked to see Mastermind, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, but the choices made still give me the feeling of a team.
Mystique´s abilities puzzled me a bit at first, seeming a bit ineffective in a superhero battle, but I´m pretty sure she was designed to have a field day when played against plenty of the common squad Civilians, where she can run around, hiding out in the crowd, being impossible to attack from a distance, but perfectly capable of sniping at opponents herself.
Like the X-Men,the team has a good mix of offensive, and defensive abilities, with a good mix of both ranged and close combat ability, and they play very differently from their sworn enemies...

It seems thematically appropriate to me that while the X-Men can build their tactics on the synergistic effects offered by the Prof and Cyke, the Brotherhood aren´t quite that friendly and helpfull toward eachother, and you´ll have to think a bit more carefully when you place your order markers on these guys.

Some of the cards, Jean Grey and Magneto, make reference to advanced rules for "Destructible Objects", a set of custom/optional rules, that hasn´t been released yet. I´m sure they will be, sometime in the future, but untill then, there´s powers on the cards that you won´t be able to fully use.

A note is added, to clarify some power references:
Quote:
All species of Soulborgs, Androids, Cyborgs, and Robots are considered to be the same species when reading special powers that reference any one of them.

Like with the "Worlds Finest" set, I think all the heroes and villans have been "translated" very succesfully into Heroscape units, with stats and powers that really reflect their comic book conterparts
All in all, I´m very exited about this set! It brings something to the table, that I have wanted, and thought was missing, from the start, a TEAM of superheroes, the X-Men, designed to work together as a group!

Thank you C3G!

Link to the C3G Books of: thread:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=28457

Sometimes, just for the heck of it, I´ll play with these Old School Lee/Kirby 60s X-Men, using the same cards...

EDIT:* I´ve revised my oppinion of the Civilians slightly... while I still think their full potential lies somewhere in a cleverly written scenario, they are a thematically appropriate squad, not capable of doing much damage to your avarage superhero, but you can move a lot of them around, getting in the way, and being, if not a threat, a serious nuissance for your opponent(s).

P.s. The next C3G releases will be a more mixed bag, but is supposed to include 2 more X-Men... if I say *BAMF* and SNIKT! any dedicated fan of the Merry Mutants should know who...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, think the Civilians are awesome! They serve a similar purpose to the Deathreavers as they block the enemy while you shoot at them from range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE JTSPECIAL-OID
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely they´ll have their uses, but I still feel their full potential would have been better realized in a well-designed scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do we download these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll find links to everything C3G has done here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=28457
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shearin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I still really enjoy reading this review. Go C3G.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE JTSPECIAL-OID
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Griff!
I sill really enjoy your great work!

And the X-Men certainly haven´t gotten less interesting after Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus were added to the mix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David LeftOn4ya
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Over at Heroscapers, they have expanded the C3G (Custom Comics Creation Guild) and are making new figures almost every month. Check it out at http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=28457

Here is the current list of figures:

The Book of the 5th Precinct Beat Cops (65 points) DC
*The Book of Abomination (320 points) MARVEL*
The Book of Alfred Pennyworth (60 points) DC
The Book of Angel (Warren Worthington III) (90 points) MARVEL
The Book of Batman (Bruce Wayne) (200 points) DC
The Book of Beast (Hank McCoy) (170 points) MARVEL
The Book of Black Canary (Dinah Lance) (190 points) DC
The Book of Black Mask (Roman Sionis) (100 points) DC
The Book of Blob (Fred Dukes) (165 points) MARVEL
*The Book of Captain America (220 points) MARVEL*
The Book of Catwoman (Selina Kyle) (145 points) DC
The Book of Civilians (45 points) MARVEL
The Book of Colossus (Piotr Rasputin) (260 points) MARVEL
The Book of Count Vertigo (Werner Vertigo) (160 points) DC
The Book of Cyclops (Scott Summers) (190 points) MARVEL
The Book of Darkseid (Uxas) (380 points) DC
The Book of Deadpool (Wade Wilson) (285 points) MARVEL
*The Book of Doctor Doom (245 points) MARVEL*
The Book of Doomsday (390 points) DC
The Book of Flash (Barry Allen) (250 points) DC
The Book of Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) (150 points) DC
The Book of Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) (350 points) DC
The Book of Harley Quinn (Harleen Quinzel) (130 points) DC
The Book of Hawkgirl (Shayera Hol) (225 points) DC
The Book of Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) (170 points) DC
The Book of Iceman (Bobby Drake) (150 points) MARVEL
*The Book of The Incredible Hulk (370 points) MARVEL*
*The Book of Iron Man (240 points) MARVEL*
The Book of Jean Grey (180 points) MARVEL
The Book of Joker (?) (190 points) DC
The Book of Jonah Hex (130 points) DC
The Book of Lex Luthor (100 points) DC
The Book of Magneto (Erik Lehnsherr) (310 points) MARVEL
The Book of Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz) (300 points) DC
The Book of Mystique (Raven Darkholme) (165 points) MARVEL
The Book of Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner) (140 points) MARVEL
The Book of Penguin (Oswald Cobblepot) (120 points) DC
The Book of Plastic Man (Eel O'Brian) (145 points) DC
The Book of Poison Ivy (Pamela Isley) (165 points) DC
The Book of Professor X (Charles Xavier) (220 points) MARVEL
The Book of Pyro (St. John Allerdyce) (120 points) MARVEL
*The Book of Red Skull (190 points) MARVEL*
The Book of The Riddler (Edward Nashton) (140 points) DC
The Book of Robin (Tim Drake) (120 points) DC
The Book of Sentinel (160 points) MARVEL
*The Book of Silver Surfer (320 points) MARVEL*
The Book of Sinestro Corps Soldier (110 points) DC
The Book of Solomon Grundy (Cyrus Gold) (290 points) DC
*The Book of Spider-Man (160 points) MARVEL*
The Book of the Street Thugs (75
points) DC
The Book of Superman (Kal-El) (400 points) DC
*The Book of Thanos (360 points) MARVEL*
The Book of Thor (Thor Odinson) (430 points) MARVEL
The Book of Toad (Mortimer Toynbee) (95 points) MARVEL
The Book of Two-Face (Harvey Dent) (130
points) DC
*The Book of Venom (150 points) MARVEL*
The Book of Wolverine (James Howlett) (280 points) MARVEL
The Book of Wonder Woman (Diana Prince) (300 points) DC
The Book of Yellow Lantern (Arkillo) (310 points) DC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pincumbe
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
Civvies are an underappreciated meat shield.
That said, I do hope we find a place for some in at least one of the Fan Four scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.