Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: pc_gaming [+] [View All]
Daniel Coats
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently introduced to War in the Pacific and it seems pretty awesome. What is your favorite PC wargame? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Witp is one of the best simulation games for pc for two simple reasons:

OOB really impressive and very particular.
Outside the usual round here .. igo ugo...witp resolves simultaneously .. and this makes it much more real..this is a very importat factor in a wargame where it has navy, air combat..ground combat..attack and counter attack...cap and so on...

only problem if you play a campaign ... only the first round will take away 2 full days.

There is also a little brother of Witp and his name is UNCOMMON VALOR...a copy of Witp but it is done only in theater of Guadalcanal.. it is, however, from May '42 to December '43 .. there is always much to do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Hearts of Iron III for a great strategic game, or Men of War for an amazing tactical game.

Men of War is amazing, but be warned, it's terribly nerve-wracking since almost every mission comes down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mehmet Fatih Bas
Turkey
Kayseri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any John Tiller game from HPS Simulations. Especially Panzer Campaigns Series. I like the operational scale of the series. The scenario maps are obsessively researched to match with the actual landscape, which I think is the best thing about the series.The game mechanics are easier to grasp compared to other wargames. Great community out there to play PBEM with.

Tiller's Squad Battles Series are also great. And they have a lot of user made scenario and modification support. You can never go wrong with an HPS title I think. Their games cover a wide range of battles from different eras including air and naval warfare.

I also like Highway to the Reich and Conquest of the Aegean from Matrix Games. The continuous time design and chain of command feature of the series makes it an excellent game system. I wait for the Bulge game which is still in development.

Air Assault Task Force from Shrapnel Games has also similar game mechanics. And as a great fan of air assault operations, I like it too.

Cheers

Fatih
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Try Hearts of Iron III

Hi Jonny...disagree for HOIII...for me..it is a little "Fantastic"..I mean..if you are particulary skilled..you can win with Romania.. ninja

But beyond this my thought .. HOI is a great game ... which has filled many hours of my life ...

We must not forget TOAW ..cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatih wrote:

I also like Highway to the Reich and Conquest of the Aegean from Matrix Games. The continuous time design and chain of command feature of the series makes it an excellent game system. I wait for the Bulge game which is still in development.Fatih

I agree ...two great games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think Matrix's 'War in the Pacific' is good,try playing the updated 'Admiral's Edition'...brilliant!!...many many improvements and absolutly great played by PBEM...Paradox's 'Hearts of Iron III' good fun too as all of WWII from 1936 with many fascinatingly bizzare and unlikely outcomes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want add a very vintage wargames..born on C64 edit by Micropose in early '80

the trittic decision in the desert-crusade in europe-conflict vietnam

ok..graphic sucks...but these were the first game ever that I remember where time flowed continuously ... and with simultaneous movements of both sides ... no turns ... amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Alberto: Great! I played a WW-3 Western front game on the C-64 for ages! Crummy map of Europe, a long line of solid dots for full strength armies, and circles for half-strength armies. O - the joy of attacking with the Shock and Guards armies

Nowadays I mostly play the Total War series. At the moment Rome -Total War, but I expect to switch to the Napoleon version within the next few months. I really like the IGO-UGO stretegic map, while fighting real time battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kael these game were game without graphic..but more deep (in game terms) than most game born in these years that have "only" graphic sounds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested, please vote in this poll:
[POLLS] Best Strategy Video Games, PC Top 100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steel Panthers series: Main Battle Tank for modern battles, World War 2 for, well, World War 2.

Additional bonus: 100% free.

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I too discovered War in the Pacific a number of years ago as well as the Admiral's Edition revision. I think perhaps these games don't get as much attention as their paper-based counterparts because of a lack of physical presence. The paper War in the Pacific from Decision games is a different game system but just as detailed. I believe it is currently the biggest monster wargame out there, coming in at 10,000 counters and 40 sq. ft. of maps and a $400 price tag.

I think PC wargames solve all of the problems we continually talk about, such as fog of war, 100% intelligence, non-simultaneous resolution, and getting bogged down in system mechanics instead of concentrating on strategy. In effect, the PC becomes the umpire that is missing. This both facilitates better two player gameplay as well as true solo gameplay.

If and when these PC games are combined with the latest giant horizontal monitors and augmented reality software technology, we will see the next great leap in board wargame evolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PC wargames programming cannot beat human brain. But I love to play PC games.

Steel Panthers. (Matrix)

Combat Shock Force (Battlefront)

KA-50 Black Shark (DCS) A really beast to learn to fly. Most impressive sim ever.

Rise of Flight. WWI dogfight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mehmet Fatih Bas
Turkey
Kayseri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that some of the geeks named some RTS games.

If I have to name 2 tactical RTS games which are not "mouse click fests", I can say Close Combat Series and Sid Meier's Gettysburg are my favorites in the RTS genre.

Close Combat, as most people know, was designed as the PC version of the ASL. I have never played ASL but I can say I will never play a better RTS game than Close Combat Series. Depicting almost every aspect of squad combat, no other game has ever came any near to the realism that Close Combat offers to players. It also has a huge community to supply modifications and stuff.

On the other hand Sid Meier's Gettysburg was a revolution in RTS gaming when it first came out in 1998. It included every aspect that a tactical Civil War game has to offer. Leadership, morale, terrain effects, different weapon systems etc. Sid Meier, whose genius can not even be debated, presented it in such a way that no one has ever done before. Easy to grasp game mechanics and excellent playability. That's why I still play this game after 12 years and I don't get tired of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mighty Greedo
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unreal Tournament 3 : WARFARE mode!

... with the "Big Head" mod of course.

H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Isaac:mmmm..too much tecnology

with the passage of time I resurface memories ...

I spent many hours on this game for AMIGA ... which has excellent properties do not have the classic round (in fact the continuous shift), a powerful editor and detailed (remember many options and variables for each unit).

BRIGADE COMMANDER

one of the first hexagonal wargame with simultaneous turns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatih..CC is better than ASL devil

Although not a wargame classic ... but has a level of unmatched simulation as greattactical

There is a community with a lot of mods...amazing!

only some pics guys:

"strategicview" Battle for Belin

Tactical

or

stalingrad der kessel

great game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blitzkrieg 1 and 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it enough yet, but I'll nominate Achtung Panzer!

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/achtung-panzer-kharkov-194...

Some kind of Close Combat / Combat Mission cross over. Incredibly detailed!

Plenty of pics here to get you up to speed:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463869
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Do you want to play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the Clost Combat series very much, so I guess they'll get my vote.

And now I'll need to look up War in the Pacific. Looks interesting to say the least. How're human opponents gathered? Is there any in-game pairing up system/tech?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
Blitzkrieg 1 and 2.

mmm..don't remember it...some pics or some description?

AH!...NOT VERY SIMULATIVE....BUT..

PGII

Fun.... but only to introduce the wargame on PC ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Best what?

Operational game?

Strategic?

Tactical?

Grand tactical?

Which era? World War II? Modern? Napoleonic?

My favourite (not "the best") tactical game is Combat Mission: Afrika Korps and its eastern front companion Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. Close Combat is 1990's era stuff; CM came out in 2000 but CM:AK and CM:BB were more recent developments. Full 3D, WEGO, and an advantage over CC (which was real time but only 2D) and Steel Panthers (which was sequential, turn-based).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
In its day, my favourite vehicle simulator was M-1 Tank Platoon, surpassed now by Steel Beasts. I did have a soft spot for Muzzle Velocity, however, which was one of the first 3-D games, combining real time 3D play and 2D strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
residue wrote:
Like the Clost Combat series very much, so I guess they'll get my vote.

And now I'll need to look up War in the Pacific. Looks interesting to say the least. How're human opponents gathered? Is there any in-game pairing up system/tech?

Ciao Matia,

There some game community..but I advise you to visit the forum matrix .... I think there is a section devoted to the interplay between human..

here the links

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=10

there is a section "OPPONENTS WANTED"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.