Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Scenario:
* I've got 3 pieces in their starting area
* I've got one piece in the space before my 'start' space
* I have a 7-card

Question:
Can I use my 7-card to move into home, and then 'discard' the remainder of my 7? I have no other cards and no other valid moves for the 7-card.

I know that, if I was putting my final piece in 'home', I could use the remainder of the 7-card to help my partner, but what happens if I wanted to use it mid-game? Is it an illegal move, causing me to discard my 7-card rather than being able to play it?

What if I could use the7-card on 2 different pieces, but not for the full value (eg one piece goes to home, another piece moves but is blocked by somebody on their start space)?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't use the full value, then it's an unplayable card and you have to discard it rather than playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that "7" is your only card you have to play it and start another trip around the board.

Moves always have to be done in their entirety. If you cannot do this you have to play a different card. If that isn't possible either you have to discard your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrotenstein wrote:
I know that, if I was putting my final piece in 'home', I could use the remainder of the 7-card to help my partner

I've heard that BSW allows this, but is it actually in the rules? I don't have English rules; do the German rules explicitly allow this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
France
Rennes
Ille-et-Vilaine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
jrotenstein wrote:
I know that, if I was putting my final piece in 'home', I could use the remainder of the 7-card to help my partner

I've heard that BSW allows this, but is it actually in the rules? I don't have English rules; do the German rules explicitly allow this?

Yes, they do! The official Schmidt german/french rules explicitly allow you to play the rest of a "7" with your partner's pawns, when you move your last pawn in your home area.

German Rules wrote:
Ausnahme: Braucht z.B. ein Spieler für seine letzte Figur noch 4 Punkte, eine passende Karte fehlt ihm jedoch, so darf er dafür eine Sieben einsetzen (sofern er eine solche hat) und die restlichen 3 Punkte bereits mit der Figur seines Partners ziehen.
French Rules wrote:
Exception: si un joueur a besoin, par exemple, de 4 points pour son dernier pion, mais qu’il n’a pas de carte correspondante, il peut utiliser un 7 (s’il en a un) et avancer le pion de son partenaire des 3 points restants.

English translation
Exception: if a player requires, for example, 4 points for his last pawn, but doesn't have a corresponding card, he may use a 7 (if he has such a card) and advance a pawn of his partner with the 3 remaining points.

Of course, if you can't use the remaining 3 points even with your partner's pawns (e.g., they are all on start/end spaces), then you can't use the 7 to put your last pawn in your home area; you have to move it past your start area. The "7" has to be always fully utilized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.