Hide
4 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Dominion Strategy Simulator Now Available to Download! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Wilson
msg tools
This past week I have been polishing up my simulator enough to let people play around with it themselves. It's still not very robust and I've only tested it on two systems, so please don't expect it to perform like commercial software

Please check out the readme.txt in the installation folder after you install it for details!

I am a bit too tired tonight to go into much detail about it, but it does let you define custom strategies and simulate full games with one to four players. Not many cards are implemented -- just the ones discussed in my other thread. I haven't been working on adding features for a while since I focussed on making it releasable.

Please give it a try, play around with the strategy definitions, and most importantly have fun!!

http://www.box.net/shared/joui81hinj
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Till

Amherst
New York
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool concept. I haven't played around much, but it looks well executed also.

One suggestion is to disable the run button until it is finished. I clicked it a few times before realizing that some processing must be happening.

Of course my first thought was, "can I plug the AI from my dominion game into the simulator to see how it does." I cannot, for a couple reasons (according to the readme). You allow for changing strategies based on the number of Provinces left, but perhaps you could compare what percentage of piles are exhausted also (ex: if 3 piles are down to 1 card each, but all the Provinces are left, the game is still 90% over). Next, I don't see an option for making a random choice between 2 choices. Obviously you wouldn't want this often, since it defeats the point of a strategy, but that's part of what my AI does. It's interesting to see if randomization has much of an impact on the outcome.

Keep up the good work, and let us know if any interesting result emerge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odin Wednesday

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
Any chance this could be repackaged in a source-only form suitable for non-Windows systems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ormerod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Would also love to see source.

Chapel and 2 Treasure Maps is quite a good strategy.

How does it decide which card to discard to the Torturer ?
Also if you have a Chapel in your hand do you choose to take the curse ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.