Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Martin Clavo
France
Saint-Genis-Pouilly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the 2,3 and 5 players special rules, it says:

"If a player cannot use any card, he discards one and draw a new one. If he still cannot use any card, he discards another card so that he has as many cards as the other players".

However in the general rules it says:

"If a player cannot use any card, he loses the right to play for the rest of the round" (which means, until new cards are dealt, right?).

How do these 2 rules combine? If I'm playing a 2 player game, and I cannot move any pawn because my opponent blocks them with a pawn in his Home square, and I still cannot move even after discarding and picking a card, what happens if later during the round my opponent moves that pawn and I can actually use one of my cards?
My interpretation is that I am allowed to play then, unlike in a game for 4 or 6 people. Is this correct? :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
France
Rennes
Ille-et-Vilaine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answering the question after 3 years... The 2/3/5 player rules simply "override" any standard rules, when in conflict. In other words, you don't combine them. You just use "If a player cannot use any card, he discards one and draw a new one. If he still cannot use any card, he discards another card so that he has as many cards as the other players".

So, in a 2-player game, if all your pawns are blocked, you discard a card and pick another one. If you still can't play, you just discard a single card and your opponent takes his turn. If he moves his home pawn and unblocks you, you can play during your subsequent turn, as you still have cards in your hand (just one less than before).

Consequently, you're correct. That's why you keep all your cards sans one, if you're blocked, so that you can play in subsequent turns, if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin Clavo
France
Saint-Genis-Pouilly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for answering this... :)
I haven't played dog in a long time, and I think most of the time it has been with 4 or 6 players, so I had completely forgotten about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.