Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a way to shorten Tobago so I can teach it to a group of non-boardgaming 10-12 year old kids and complete a game within one hour, and I'm wondering whether playing with only four treasures available would do it. I'll have four kids playing and even if they don't get to dig one up each they should get to contribute to the search and so get something out of most chests..

has anyone tried this? if I'm going to use it this week I won't have the opportunity to do a test-run before Thursday when my gaming groups happen..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played much (three games I think) but I expect the better way to shorten the game would be to drop out some of the treasure cards, maybe all the 2s.
With just four treasures you could easily have no curses come up. Or have them show up one each in the third and fourth treasure, which would likely sour anyone not having a chance to recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good point, thanks :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Lesavoy
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I have also played only a few games but by my second game it was only taking (at most) an hour and a half. So to shorten it to an hour wouldn't take much. Maybe for 10 to 12 yr olds...hmmm...

What if you started new treasures with 2 clues? Have the person who rose it contribute 1 and the person who got the last treasure card contribute the other. You'd have to play test to see how much time it would really cut back. If that's not quick enough you could do 3 or 4 clues, with an additional from whoever had the least claim (0 being the least) or in the case of 4 clues, 1 from each player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks. I think maybe I won't use it this week and I'll try tweaking it this weekend..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
I haven't played much (three games I think) but I expect the better way to shorten the game would be to drop out some of the treasure cards, maybe all the 2s.

Eek, you don't want to just drop all low cards, that would change the ratios, and just make the winner the person who places the most cards (since the quality/quantity battle here is quite tight).

Looking at the card ratios and percentages, I'd say drop 2 each of the two, three, four, and five coin cards, and 1 six coin and 1 curse card.

That's 10 cards removed, 31 instead of 41, so the game is only 75% as long as before. The game should be long enough for everyone to get some treasure, but not too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.