Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Special power: Imperialist (renamed from Conquistador) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew G
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Cross-posted from my post at the DoW forum.

Special Power
Imperialist (5): During the scoring phase of any turn in which you conquered at least one territory occupied by a Lost Tribe, gain a number of bonus Victory Coins equal to the current turn number of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
viny viny
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Special power: Conquistador
Hi
Nice concept
Probably gets useless toward the end of the game, but that is part of the idea.
BTW, race or power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging by the number of tokens I would assume a power.

I really like the concept although it's not a particularly strong power as you may be hard pressed to score 2VCs per turn on average or more than 7VC in total (comparing against alchemist and wealthy). So 5 tokens may be more appropriate.

I guess another question is whether the term 'Conquistador' fits the fantasy/middle earth period but it could always be renamed if needs be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
I guess another question is whether the term 'Conquistador' fits the fantasy/middle earth period but it could always be renamed if needs be.

I'll agree it is a good description and concept, but maybe not the best term for the game's theme. Maybe something more like 'Discovery/Discovering', 'Intruder/Intruding' or "Empire/Empire Buidling/Empiring'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While of course it needs playtesting, I like the concept. I a lot of games there are one or two lost tribe tokens that makes it nearly to the end of the game. This power nicely gives not only the player taking it, but also everyone else a strong incentive to clean up those last few last tribes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew G
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
fizzmore wrote:
While of course it needs playtesting, I like the concept. I a lot of games there are one or two lost tribe tokens that makes it nearly to the end of the game. This power nicely gives not only the player taking it, but also everyone else a strong incentive to clean up those last few last tribes.

Yes, that's exactly the idea that inspired it. I find that there are few games where all of the Lost Tribes are killed off, so if this power is available late, it can encourage a rush to kill off the few that remain -- lest the person with the Conquistador power score 8, 9, or 10 bonus points for one kill.

I'm happy to consider renaming it or changing the number of tokens to 5. Perhaps "Imperialist" would be a better name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The name that I think fits best with the power is Plundering because that's pretty much what the Spanish Conquistadors did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew G
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Okay, I changed the name to "Imperialist" and increased the number of tokens to 5. I considered Jimbo's suggestion of "Plundering," but I thought that sounded too similar to "Ransacking," which is already an official power. Also, I like "Imperialist" because it involves, essentially, eliminating the natives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.