Popular Tags: chilling-effect [+] [View All]
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I uploaded a DIY set of flowerpower (uing just color squares) and the set was declined because "We don't allow DIY versions for games that are currently in print."

I wanted to verify that this game IS out of print before I try to re-upload it / explain the situation to the admins.

And if there is a reprint coming up, please tell me cause I would definitely not want to step on their toes -- and pick up a copy for myself!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
You were denied uploading something of your own making? When did this policy start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, whomever said this game was still in print needs to look at eBay or the Marketplace for copies, when they're there. Prices anywhere from $40 to $70, for what was originally a $20 Kosmos 2 player game, when they do show up says "Out of Print" to me.

Unless they're privy to some new information from Kosmos, who has started to produce tin box editions of some of their 2-player games.. hmmm... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
What I'm wondering about is this new "no remade components suitable for DIY" policy. The files section of Flowerpower currently contains user-created redesigns. Is this now no longer allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a full set of pieces and a board (but not the rules) and I could definitely see it being problematic if the game IS in print or reprint... And I know that there are plenty of Flowerpower sets in the files already, but I thought maybe the admin knew something I didn't. Or maybe the rules did change?

For what its worth, my Arimaa set (uploaded the same day as Flowerpower) was approved today. But I thought I heard that Arimaa is released by the designer under a more open ended license ... http://arimaa.com/arimaa/license/current.txt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Hello, I uploaded a DIY set of flowerpower (uing just color squares) and the set was declined because "We don't allow DIY versions for games that are currently in print."

I wanted to verify that this game IS out of print before I try to re-upload it / explain the situation to the admins.

The file was declined in accordance with our current policy

http://boardgame.geekdo.com/community_rules

The following are prohibited:
Requesting or providing information or materials that allows others to create, purchase, or download unofficial replications of a game or other works protected by copyright without the permission of the rights holder.

Thanks for your understanding.
Of course, if you are able to get permission from the game publisher and can forward that proof to us, we'll be happy to approve the file.

Thanks
Dale
(head of BGG file approvals)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification and that's all I wanted. Now this makes sense because my file is truly in violation of the current policy.

Please note however, that the admin(s) that declined my files did so both times under false reasons.

#1, the game IS out of print
#2, my files did not contain "scans of copyrighted material".

As such, please ask the admins that next time they run into something like this next time, tell them to just point to the community rules instead of making up "circumstantial" reasons.

It would save users the trouble of wondering what the heck was wrong (and the admins having to deal with public grievences )

Thanks again,
Justus

PS for what its worth, the jpgs that I've uploaded to my image gallery are so low res to be unusable for making a set. As such I will leave them up so people understand this other thread in the complaints forum clearly. However, if you'd like I can delete those also, just ask.

yudp wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

The file was declined in accordance with our current policy

http://boardgame.geekdo.com/community_rules

Requesting or providing information or materials that allows others to create, purchase, or download unofficial replications of a game or other works protected by copyright without the permission of the rights holder.

Thanks for your understanding.
Of course, if you are able to get permission from the game publisher and can forward that proof to us, we'll be happy to approve the file.

Thanks
Dale
(head of BGG file approvals)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lohroff
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Justus,

I was the one that rejected your file the first time. Sorry for the confusion. When I visited the game page on BGG there was an ad that said "Buy Flowerpower at [Store ABC] for 14.95." I took this to mean that the game was still in print. That was obviously a false assumption. Fortunately, based on the clarification that Dale has provided the issue of whether a game is or isn't currently in print isn't a factor.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, no problem. Misunderstandings happen...heck the initial fault is mine; I may be a wannabe geek but I gotta admit I don't ever read TOS agreements blush , but I'll reread the rules when I get home and definitely avoid uploading any DIY sets without permission!

Thanks for all your work!
Justus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
yudp wrote:

And so would this file, if submitted now, be declined for violation of BGG's current policy?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44016/rethemed-animal-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is nuts. Making your own artwork is not replication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I'm awaiting official response. But does this mark the end of Simpsons/Star Wars fan redesigns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

I don't know about it officially being "replication", but it doesn't seem wrong to create unique graphics for a game that is no longer in print and very hard to find even in trade. People should be able to play even though no one is bothering to reprint a great game, and not all of us have graphic abilities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
yudp wrote:

And so would this file, if submitted now, be declined for violation of BGG's current policy?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44016/rethemed-animal-...

Yes. It would be in violation of the current policy and should not be approved.

However, to be clear, at this point the policy is not being made retroactive (i.e. we are not going through the 70,000+ files currently in the database to see what might not pass the policy). Files approved prior to this policy will remain on BGG. Of course, if the rightsholder to a game asks us to remove a file, we would comply with that request.

Thanks
Dale

Thanks
Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

No one here is claiming that. We are not preventing anyone from making their own versions of games. However, what we are saying is that we will not store those files here. If you created your own version of a game, you could do so, and you could freely host that file on your own. You could even put a link to that file in the Links section of the game entry here on BGG.

Thanks
Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
So, in short, Simpsons and Star Wars redesigns of games are now no loner permitted. How about map redesigns?

By the way, did I miss a BGG news thread announcing this sweeping change to file and image uploads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yudp wrote:
No one here is claiming that.

You don't think that disallowing something here, and citing a rule that says no replication as thy reason why isn't stating that?

Sure, they can exist elsewhere, but there'll now be thousands of re-themings, alternate boards, and other wonderful custom work we'll never see here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
So, in short, Simpsons and Star Wars redesigns of games are now no loner permitted. How about map redesigns?

Well, think about what would be most useful for the users here, and then assume that's what BGG will not do. I find if I expect such I'll occasionally (but rarely) be pleasantly surprised to be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
garygarison wrote:
How about map redesigns?

Dale Yu has yet to answer this. It's a legitimate question. I've now asked it and others in this geeklist. Here's hoping the admins will clarify the current policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
garygarison wrote:
How about map redesigns?

Dale Yu has yet to answer this. It's a legitimate question. I've now asked it and others in this geeklist. Here's hoping the admins will clarify the current policy.

The admins are currently powwow-ing on this.

Thanks for your patience
Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Thanks for checking back in. Hope the geeklist doesn't rouse too much rabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Thanks for checking back in. Hope the geeklist doesn't rouse too much rabble.

I don't think it will. Debate is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
But public debate is apparently very bad. The geeklist has been taken off the front page. The latest victim of anonymous flagging, or an admin action? I can't say, as the authors in such cases are never notified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
lohroffc wrote:
Justus,

I was the one that rejected your file the first time. Sorry for the confusion. When I visited the game page on BGG there was an ad that said "Buy Flowerpower at [Store ABC] for 14.95." I took this to mean that the game was still in print. That was obviously a false assumption. Fortunately, based on the clarification that Dale has provided the issue of whether a game is or isn't currently in print isn't a factor.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.

This is an example of why BGG needs written, public, procedures and policies for this sort of thing.

All due respect, but that is just a silly way to determine if something is in print, and *that* status is besides the point in any case, which I would think a file-approval admin would already know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
yudp wrote:
The admins are currently powwow-ing on this.

Can we expect a community announcement anytime soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.