Popular Tags: chilling-effect [+] [View All]
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the initial narrow topic... I just got a response from Kosmos. They told me that while they own the rights to the graphics, I would need to get permission from the designer. They gave me an email address which they said was a couple years old.

So hopefully, the email addy is still good (and checked). If I don't hear back from her in a couple weeks, I'll be back asking for theircontact info !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Back to the initial narrow topic... I just got a response from Kosmos. They told me that while they own the rights to the graphics, I would need to get permission from the designer. They gave me an email address which they said was a couple years old.

So hopefully, the email addy is still good (and checked). If I don't hear back from her in a couple weeks, I'll be back asking for theircontact info !

Unfortunately not, it seems that the email account was closed.

So if anyone has contact with the designers, please give them my contact info (or give me their contact)! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

Unfortunately not, it seems that the email account was closed.

So if anyone has contact with the designers, please give them my contact info (or give me their contact)! Thanks!

I looked at the other game they collaborated on (Trick Track Troll) and looked at the publisher (Klee). A search on the web took me to a site and Klee had a contact email (for the publisher, not the designers and not sure if it is any good or not, but here goes): klee-spiele-fuerth@t-online.de

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neophyteg52y wrote:
I hope they decide to reprint this soon!

--NEO

I wish! Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling about it. I have tried contacting the designer of the game and the publisher of her two games and have struck out on all three.

At some point I will slap together a personal website for a DIY set, but unfortunately it is now against the community rules to upload the set unless I get permission, which doesn't seem likely given my lack of leads....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
At some point I will slap together a personal website for a DIY set, but unfortunately it is now against the community rules to upload the set unless I get permission, which doesn't seem likely given my lack of leads....

I believe this demonstrates why this policy comes at things from the wrong end. The distribution of your images infringes on no intellectual property - and if it did the onus must be on rights holders to request removal. The DMCA is bad enough without wasting the safe harbour provision.

No one is required to buy some consumer good to play a game. The availability of commercial components is a nice proxy for doing something yourself - never the other way around.

And by the way, you're being an extremely good sport about all of this. Really above and beyond and I would never have heard of this game but for your documented efforts. BGG and its users can help maintain interest in games between printings, and the corollary is that it does no good to the sales of future printings of this game to diminish the chance for continued play in the interim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Weinstein
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yudp wrote:
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
This is nuts. Making your own artwork is not replication.

No one here is claiming that. We are not preventing anyone from making their own versions of games. However, what we are saying is that we will not store those files here. If you created your own version of a game, you could do so, and you could freely host that file on your own. You could even put a link to that file in the Links section of the game entry here on BGG.

Thanks
Dale

Hi Dale,

This is not legal advice, but I would be wary of encouraging users to put links to potentially copyright infringing works on your site. Some copyright holder may argue that your encouragement is inducing infringement. I suggest that you steer clear of hosting or pointing to derivative works. Just out of an abundance of caution. Anyway, talk to your lawyers. The DMCA may provide you some protection.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Note also that copyright does not expire just because a game is currently out of print or the rights holders are difficult to track down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Note also that copyright does not expire just because a game is currently out of print or the rights holders are difficult to track down.

nor is copyright considered to prohibit the distribution of artwork that could be put to similar use as the to the original artwork.

One is free to make their own judgement as to the morality of the distribution of such files, but the legality question generally seems to have been agreed as not an issue.... This has been covered to death in the DIY forums...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm super excited that I just won an eBay auction for a brand new, unopened copy of this highly regarded but hard to find out-of-print title ... for a decent price too, all things considered. I won for $32.11 plus $13.00 shipping (from South Korea), so $45.11 total. Looking forward to playing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost
United States
Killeen / Ft Hood Area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very curious if you get a genuine copy of the game. There is an ebay seller from Korea who already has another copy listed for sale (wondering if it is the same person).

Please let us know when you receive your copy and how it turns out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the guy I bought it from has a really high number of feedback posts with a >97% positive response rate, if I recall correctly. What do you mean by "genuine"? What do you think I could be getting, worst case scenario?

Thanks,
Quinn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
What do you think I could be getting, worst case scenario?

Occasionally deals that are too good to be true turn out to be for unauthorized low-quality reproductions, though I wouldn't expect an obscure game like Flowerpower to attract the attention of the knock-off producers.

However, it looks like you've done your due diligence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like ebay user ragenet? I think I've bought this same game from him, though it hasn't been opened yet, so I can't speak to the quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got my copy today (obtained via eBay from S. Korea, new and in perfect condition) and played my first game with my daughter. It's pretty damn fun!

I think the criticism leveled at the scoring system is unfounded. We found that it was actually *harder* to form separate groups of three then building upon existing groups and expanding them, so why change it to award even more points for large single groups? The scoring system seems well balanced the way it is. No need to second guess the designers who undoubtedly had way more play test games than any of us had had post-published games.

I added these comments to my game rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.