Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for a TTR fan-created variant map to print try out, and I was overwhelmed by the choices. I also realized that there doesn't appear to be a comprehensive list of them (not that I saw anyway). So here's my best shot at creating a list with all of the extant maps from DOW and BGG (variant forum and files lists). If I missed any, please let me know!

(I'll probably also repost another list below with corrected info (since I can't edit the poll), so if I mis-attributed anything or if there are additional links, please let me know that too!)

Poll
Rate the Ticket to Ride fan-contributed map variations:
  Not worth printing. The map needs work. Map is great, destination cards need work. Pretty good all around. Great, every TTR fan should try it. OMG, there are any other TTRs? This is the only one I play anymore!
Africa (patgom145)
Africa by Laurent Picaud (French)
Africa, Rivers of (barneyg) or DOW
Argentina (gtanoni)
Arizona (perrywalkerjr)
Asia by Jens Tønnesen
Australia by Guillaume Jobert (English & French)
Austria by Bodo Malo (German)
Belgium by Nicolas Maréchal on Jeux de Nim (French)
Brazil (Filliped)
Brittany by Skedus (French)
Castilla y León (cuskaira)
Charente Maritime (France region) by Laurent Picaud (French)
Connecticut (Orph)
Cuba (palacio)
Denmark, Scandinavia and London Underground by Jens Tønnesen (English)
Egypt by Tossy (German)
Eurasia (barneyg)
or DOW
Europe by Klaus de Groote (English or German)
Europe on star-trek-command.de (German)
Europe by Laurent Picaud (French)
Finland (Eccumulator)
France (big map version) (Frencois)
France (Christophe Francois)
France by Cédric Hottinger, Elise Manigler and Yann Manigler (French)
France by Laurent Picaud (French)
Germany and Europe by Peter Wahl (German)
Germany by Sascha Görtz (German)
Germany by Sebastian Huth (German)
Germany by Tilmann Brühne (German)
Great Lakes (US region) (writhe82)
Great-Britain by Wiebke Lüdemann and Stefan Grunhold (German)
Hamburg by Johannes Göbel (German)
Holland (Jukke)
Iberian Peninsula by Ea Tønnesen
Iowa (RJSim4) or DOW
Island of Sodor (fictional: Thomas the Tank Engine) (madhattersneverland)
Italy (chiesi) or DOW
Italy (matmo)
Japan (lky5262)
Les Aventuriers du Rail à Lyon by François Haffner on JeuxSoc (French)
Paris, Metro (HW2G)
Paris Subway by Laurent Picaud (French)
Portugal by Hélio Andrade
Quebec by Guylan (aka Alien) (French)
Québec-Canada (Xordok)
Scandinavia by Andreas Ericson (multilingual)
Seattle (rtrowan)
Spain by Oscar Güde (English & Spanish)
Switzerland by Philipp Riedo (German)
Texas (xkcerman)
UK (hoos-foos aka David Millard) or DOW
UK (variant of hoos-foos’s, by kenmeyers)
Wild West (US region) (seismicity1) or DOW
World by Emil and Christoph Lefherz (German)
      19 answers
Poll created by polycrafty

Also, for any other newbies (like me) to the TTR-fan-map printing scene, here's a nice thread with good ideas for where to go to print good ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
btw, the "or DOW" entries in your list ultimately link back to the BGG files, so you might want to drop the reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's the list of links and credits that I can edit if need be:

Africa (patgom145)
Africa by Laurent Picaud (French)
Africa, Northern by Andreas Bummel
Africa, Rivers of (barneyg)
Argentina (gtanoni)
Arizona (perrywalkerjr)
Asia by Jens Tønnesen
Australia by Guillaume Jobert (English & French)
Austria by Bodo Malo (German)
Belgium by Nicolas Maréchal on Jeux de Nim (French)
Brazil (Filliped)
Brittany by Skedus (French)
Castilla y León (cuskaira)
Charente Maritime (France region) by Laurent Picaud (French)
China by Andreas Bummel
Connecticut (Orph)
Cuba (palacio)
Denmark by Jens Tønnesen (English)
Egypt by Tossy (German)
Eurasia (barneyg)
Europe by Klaus de Groote (English or German)
Europe on star-trek-command.de (German)
Europe by Laurent Picaud (French)
Finland (Eccumulator)
France (big map version) (Frencois)
France (Christophe Francois)
France by Cédric Hottinger, Elise Manigler and Yann Manigler (French)
France by Laurent Picaud (French)
Germany and Europe by Peter Wahl (German)
Germany by Sascha Görtz (German)
Germany by Sebastian Huth (German)
Germany by Tilmann Brühne (German)
Great Lakes (US region) (writhe82)
Great-Britain by Wiebke Lüdemann and Stefan Grunhold (German)
Hamburg by Johannes Göbel (German)
Holland (Jukke)
Iberian Peninsula by Ea Tønnesen
Iowa (RJSim4)
Iowa by RJ Sim
Island of Sodor (fictional: Thomas the Tank Engine) (madhattersneverland)
Italy (chiesi)
Italy (matmo)
Japan (lky5262)
Les Aventuriers du Rail à Lyon by François Haffner on JeuxSoc (French)
London Underground by Jens Tønnesen
Paris, Metro (HW2G)
Paris Subway by Laurent Picaud (French)
Portugal by Hélio Andrade
Quebec by Guylan (aka Alien) (French)
Québec-Canada (Xordok)
Scandinavia by Andreas Ericson (multilingual)
Scandinavia by Jens Tønnesen
Seattle (rtrowan)
Spain by Oscar Güde (English & Spanish)
Switzerland by Philipp Riedo (German)
Texas (xkcerman)
UK (hoos-foos aka David Millard)
UK (variant of hoos-foos’s, by kenmeyers)
Wild West (US region) (seismicity1)
World by Emil and Christoph Lefherz (German)
World by Frencois
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barneyg wrote:
btw, the "or DOW" entries in your list ultimately link back to the BGG files, so you might want to drop the reference.
oops, well, I can't edit the poll, unfortunately, but I will take out the redundant linkage in the list I can edit. I was sure that there were at least a few that were both discussed on BGG and linked to offsite servers on DOW, but I guess not.

I will fix it in the editable list. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Epp
Canada
Neepawa
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I had no idea there were so many fan-based boards out there. With the necessary size I'm assuming each map will need to play on, do you need a special printer to print these out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepp wrote:
Wow, I had no idea there were so many fan-based boards out there. With the necessary size I'm assuming each map will need to play on, do you need a special printer to print these out?
It seems like a lot of times the board's designer gives a way to print them on regular paper and then you tape all the sheets together (but be careful, there is a different "letter size" standard between Europe and the US, I don't know what system Canada is on). But when taping gets old, a lot of people have the art printed on a large sheet and laminated or mounted onto some kind of board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joewtwins
United States
Ankeny
IA
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I did Iowa at Fed-Ex Office (Kinko's) Printed and Laminated was about the cost of a game. Not a cheap route but very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Canada is on the same system as the US (letter not A4). There's a readme file with most boards you can download and they always remind you not to rescale the thing. The self-printed stuff looks good as well, but is a bit of work, and is not really less expensive than the stuff you can order unless you have easy access to cheap color cartridges (do these even exist?)

Edit: look to the other thread for cheaper options than Kinko's (or I suspect any non-mailorder place such as Staples), especially if you want to print more than one. It basically cost me $10/board through El-Co Labs, and now I have 8 homemade boards to pick from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Varloot
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I would hate voting for my maps. whistle
Second, I would hate voting for any maps, since I'm deeply promoting each of us trying at least once to build one.

I've played most of the ones in the list, at least 60% of them are great maps, at least in one type of game (depending on the number of players, or on the variants you play). The usual mistake map creators make (including me) is more on the number/distribution ot tickets than on the map themselves.

My point being, I've printed and built all of them, and the great fun is to change from one game to the other so 1) you don't feel like always playing the same game 2) you don't end up knowing tickets and best routes by heart which makes the game less fun (for me at least) and 3) you end up travelling the world which is cool. So I feel bad looking at them as a kind of competition between map builders.

Last, I still - if I find the time - have some maps I'd like to create (especially for iconic trains in Mexico, Peru or Vietnam for example or to create fun maps in Hawaï or Santa Claus North Pole... and in Colorado when I lived for 6 years). And if I have the feeling that I'll be judged for them, it spoils the motivation...

BTW, my world maps are not in the list, not that I'm proud of them, but just for those wanting to download a whole set:
http://www.donjon-facile.com/rail%20world/index.html

And yes, I still have to translate my rules variants in French... Just don't have time... If someone has, he's welcome and I'll be happy to help.
http://www.donjon-facile.com/rail/Cartes%20Specs.pdf
http://www.donjon-facile.com/rail/Tunnel.pdf
http://www.donjon-facile.com/rail/Bout.pdf

cool

Frencois/HW2G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frencois wrote:
... So I feel bad looking at them as a kind of competition between map builders.

Last, I still - if I find the time - have some maps I'd like to create (especially for iconic trains in Mexico, Peru or Vietnam for example or to create fun maps in Hawaï or Santa Claus North Pole... and in Colorado when I lived for 6 years). And if I have the feeling that I'll be judged for them, it spoils the motivation...

BTW, my world maps are not in the list, not that I'm proud of them, but just for those wanting to download a whole set:
http://www.donjon-facile.com/rail%20world/index.html

I apologize, it was not my intention was to ask people to be very judgmental nor to make this a competition. It just seemed to me that there was an overwhelming quantity of PnP maps and new TTR fans like me would not know where to start.

I'm sure your maps are wonderful and thoughtfully playtested. But having experienced other PnP files on BGG, some people put out work that is not thoroughly playtested and they do not have the attention span to go back and revised. So before people waste extremely expensive ink on printing, it can be nice to know that other people have tried the map and it was halfway decent.

So far though, there have not been many answers to the poll part of this thread anyway, so if there is a strong demand for me to take it down, I can do that.

I'll add your world maps to my editable list. Sorry again to cause anyone distress.

I hope you do keep creating maps. I want to continue to evolve the list part of this thread. I might even try to make a map myself sometime because I see some underrepresented territories that I know have a rich history of train travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Varloot
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely no harm done
The idea to make a full list was great, and it's always fun to create a gizmo that will make people participate like a poll.

Maybe I screwed up trying to make sense (blame it on English not being my native language TTR map).laugh

I'm OK with the poll but I would personnally have a hard time sorting the maps.
Some are great because of the look and feel (they are just nice to look at).
Some are great for the gameplay with 3 players (with just the level of enabling gulp 'putrid' devil playing needed, no more), some are great with 5 players.
Some are great because they are quite similar to the original USA (China...), and some because they are SO different from the USA (in their balance between short and long routes, crowded vs non crowded areas...).
Some are great because they add some new rules (airplanes, bridges, bus, subway, name it...) and some are great because on a late night game with your wife and kids you are just so tired you want a plain and simple game.
And some are just great because of the location idea (kiss to the guy who made us visit Egypt or Cuba cool ) and some because you wonder how the guy got the idea in the first place (like having all the Baltic cross-sea routes using only blue or white routes).

And then you have the crazy froggy like me who makes fast dirty maps but with 101 variants to play with, just for the total TTR-nerdy-geeky whistle.

To make it short I give one vote to you for the compilation (thanks) and one vote to the one who build the NEXT map, bringing with it a nice new idea we haven't had until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christophe cilier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello polycrafty, hello Frencois

I have also try to make a list of all TTR maps.

I don't know if I have found all of them, I will compare with polycrafty list.

You can download my list (with image of maps ) a this link :

http://sites.google.com/site/lesaventuriersdurail/

The file is at the end of the page.

On this site you can also find my maps.

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Yeti
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a New York City map I need to upload soon and have play-tested. The board came out really well. Hardest part is balancing the destination cards. Need more help with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that have played a number of these, which would you recommend the most highly for 2 player games? (already have Nordic and Switzerland)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your work in compiling the list and the survey. I really like the Texas map. I printed out the board and tickets, and I've played it many times with 2, 3 and 4 players. It plays well for each of these numbers of players. It plays as well as the original with the 1910 expansion Mega game. I have TTR Europe, but not the original. When I introduced some of my cousins to TTR, I used the Texas map since I wouldn't have to explain about ferries, stations and tunnels. Doug did a great job with the art work for both the board and the tickets. I'm surprised DOW hasn't bought it from him to sell in stores. bluetrainyellowtrainredtraingreentrainblacktrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Fornasini
Italy
flag msg tools
My TTR Friends...don't forget this! And have fun!laugh

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/806836/ticket-to-ride-sardin...

Davide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.