Popular Tags: [View All]
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Apparently somebody doesn't get the joke, and wants to make sure nobody else enjoys it either.

For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty funny and didn't think he was trying to be demeaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Walsfeo wrote:

BGWS offers lots of value, not only does he show you enough about a set of games to let you know what Scott finds interesting about them, but he shows you enough to let you know if you will find the games worthwhile.

Truth!

Boardgames aren't like movies or videogames or... anything really. You need a review to figure out what the game is, period. Not if you'll like it.

I know that chances are the talking dog movie that comes out this weekend is going to include certain things, and is going to basically be what it is. I can read a review on it if I want... but by-in-large, I can find out most of what I need to know just from the previews.

How would you make a commercial for, say, "Ra"? I don't think you could do it for under 5 minutes and a video explanation. Great idea for a video series though.

Case-in-point, Galaxy Trucker has a pretty good video review on it from obsessed board gamers (which, where did they go?!). I actually was less likely to buy it after seeing the review because I know it's going to get zero play at my house. Looks cool. The guy was excited about it. However, learning about the game... it's just not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic format; keep it up! My 6-year-old loves discussing game mechanics and he was riveted to your past 2 eps, seriously.

Also, you've now convinced us to put Catacombs and Cyclades in our queue. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
Apparently somebody doesn't get the joke, and wants to make sure nobody else enjoys it either.

For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty funny and didn't think he was trying to be demeaning.

At the beginning I was kinda shocked, but as I watched on it was pretty clear that he was poking fun at himself as well as all video reviewers (and fans thereof) who take themselves too seriously.

edit to say: so apparently he was poking fun at me... all of a sudden this isn't so funny. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Nice show. I didn't get why you called them simultaneous auction games, though. Is it because all players participate in the auction together (though in turns) before the other phases of the game take place? Not the sort of simultaneity that we see in Merchants of Amsterdam, the open auction type in Modern Art, or numerous in-the-fist (blind bidding) auctions.

Edit: fixed typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
United States
Fayetteville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
Nice show. I didn't get why you called the, simultaneous auction games, though. Is it because all players participate in the auction together (though in turns) before the other phases of the game take place?

I used this term because the games have several auctions that are being carried out simultaneously. When a player has an action, they have 3-4-5 auctions in which they can place a bid, all of which are running simultaneously. They all start and end at the same time.

There's nothing wrong with your interpretation of the term, either. It's the question of what is simultaneous - the player's actions, or the execution of the auctions.

As in with any form of study, you hit a point where you just have to agree upon what terms you will use to describe something so you can move beyond semantics. We aren't at that point with board game studies, so there will be confusions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just add my praise to this new format. I have already watched this twice, and that is rare. The single game video review still has an important place, but I must admit I enjoy watching this comparative format more.

Just a few ideas for future episodes, if I may:
Games that use dice in interesting ways
Euro/wargame hybrids (Shogun, Chaos in the Old World...)
Negotiation games
Push-your-luck games

Anyway, great job. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to have come across this episode!

I've just posted a GeekList which attempts to list all games that feature the mechanic of simultaneous auctions. It already includes the games Scott mentions, as well as some others, but I'd welcome more suggestions, or comments on the existing entries, which you'll find here:

Simultaneous Auction Games
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171539/simultaneous-au...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given Scott Nicholson's appreciation of simultaneous auction games, it's no surprise that he designed one of his own!

Going, Going, GONE!

In this game, while the auctioneer counts down from 10 through zero, players simultaneously bid for five auction lots by quickly placing cubes (representing `bucks', the game currency) into the plastic cups corresponding to each auction lot. The real-time countdown and simultaneous play ensures a fast, frantic, and fun auction game.

It's a very lively and accessible game, and it's great to see Scott bringing his own wealth of experience to this genre! For more details about this game, see the review I just posted:

Ender's Comprehensive Pictorial Overview: Scott Nicholson's fast, fun, light, and noisy party game with simultaneous auctions

Thank you for your many and excellent BGWS episodes, Scott, and your wonderful contribution to the boardgame hobby in this way. And now thank you for adding a great game of your own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.