Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricke Treleven
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would someone please inventory the Opportunity and Experience cards in their 1979 copy of "Careers" for me? The 1979 copy has five Occupation Paths (Big Business, Sports, Show Biz, Politics and Space; plus the College Path), and has gameboard copyright years of 1971, 1976 and 1979 on the gameboard edge.

I'm pretty sure I have all the Experience cards (28 of them), but only 14 Opportunity cards. Are there 28 cards each? What kind of cards, and how many of each kind, make up the two card decks?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
28 of each.

Experience cards: 8 1s, 8 2s, 6 3s, 6 4s.

Opportunity:

3 College
3 Ecology
3 Big Business
2 Teaching
1 Teaching Special
2 The Arts
1 The Arts Special
2 Politics
1 Politics Special
2 Sports
1 Sports Special
2 Space Program
1 Space Program Special
2 Holiday
2 Golden Opportunity

This is a 1976 gold box edition. Prior to the 1971 edition, the words were different, but the game was identical. Words were changed in later editions, too.

The special opportunity for Teaching is double all happiness earned on cruise during tenure. The other specials are get in free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricke Treleven
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the quick response, Randall! I'm glad I have all the Experience cards and that you verified that.

The Opportunity card distribution won't fit with my 1979 version, however. My 1979 version has only the five careers listed in my original post, plus the College Path. Your 1976 gold box version has seven careers plus the College path.

My 1979 version has 4 College cards, one more than your 1976 version. I should have said that in my OP! Sorry.

"The Arts" of 1976 probably becomes "Show Biz" in 1979, maybe with one more card in the "Show Biz" catagory (remember my 1979 version has at least one more College card). Since 1976's "Ecology" and "Teaching" careers have no parallel careers in 1979, I suspect the five careers in 1979 have more cards in them compared to 1976. Maybe there are more cards in the "Holiday" and "Golden Opportunity" catagories in 1979, too.

I think my analysis is correct. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought 1979 was just another minor mod of 1971. Sadly it's this:

I can't help with cards for that one, though if you say the Experience cards are the same that's useful info. I believe my 1976 edition is the same as 1971, except the box and the color of the board. The 1971 edition has different words than the 1955 and 1965 editions, but the game itself is identical. Back in 1971, I compared my 1971 and 1965 sets and made sure it was all the same. Oddly, I was quite pleased to prove that I had just bought a game that offered me nothing I didn't already own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Mitchell
United States
Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the info you're looking for from my 1979 edition of the game:

Opportunity Cards: 28

Space: 2
Special Space: 1
Sports: 2
Special Sports: 1
Politics: 2
Special Politics: 1
Big Business: 2
Special Big Business: 1
Show Biz: 2
Special Show Biz: 1
College: 5
Golden: 4
Holiday: 2
Unemployment: 2

Experience Cards: 28

1 square: 8
2 squares: 8
3 squares: 6
4 squares: 6

Glad to be able to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricke Treleven
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the card breakdown for Careers 1979, Don! I appreciate it! Also thanks to Randall for his efforts and Loren Stark ("creativeway") for posting the 1979 rules to the Geek. -Ricke-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that I submitted a complete card inventory when I bought my 1976 copy last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.