$10.00
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jakal323 wrote:
You are aware that most folks that mill about here only debate the Euro vs. Ameritrash controversy in jest, right? You are aware that a little bit of self-deprecating humor is a sign of a healthy community?

I'm amazed at how many BGGers don't believe you're allowed to have [that kind of] fun with your own hobby (or money)....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filler.

I love Eurogames. I play them all the time between real games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
jakal323 wrote:
You are aware that most folks that mill about here only debate the Euro vs. Ameritrash controversy in jest, right? You are aware that a little bit of self-deprecating humor is a sign of a healthy community?

I'm amazed at how many BGGers don't believe you're allowed to have [that kind of] fun with your own hobby (or money)....

I'm amazed how many aren't saying it in jest, but seem to sincerely believe that eurogames are bad / unfun / only for uncompetitive wimps who want everyone to have an equal chance to win / only for hypercompetitive bean-counters who want to win through superior calculation / etc. (Either that or they sure take the joke excessively far and never talk seriously about the genre.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
AnalogGamer wrote:
jakal323 wrote:

I'm amazed how many aren't saying it in jest, but seem to sincerely believe that eurogames are bad / unfun / only for uncompetitive wimps who want everyone to have an equal chance to win / only for hypercompetitive bean-counters who want to win through superior calculation / etc. (Either that or they sure take the joke excessively far and never talk seriously about the genre.)

I never talk seriously about the genre.
I'm amazed anybody takes it seriously at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
After a game night of all abstract Eurogames that I lost, I refered to all the games as either "Fun with numbers" or "Let's do math!"

I have a learning disability with numbers, so if I compare something to math, it means "I am not having fun!"

That said, I do like Eurogames. Usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want an offensive term, you really need to be as offensive as possible to the people who play them. Eurojerk games, for example. That would blow away Ameritrash. You probably want to go around to game conventions where people play them and say it to their faces as snidely as possible. Maybe even spit on them as you say it. Find game forums online and post about it too --that'll drive them nuts. If that doesn't work, try killing kittens and tell people that the gamers playing that stoopid game made you do it. Remember, everyone loves kittens so that should rile em up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate kittens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Eurogamers = Brain-Burned Zombies

(see what I did there?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isn't "Eurogame" offensive enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
Australia
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filler....

I laughed, I scoffed, then I laughed again.

You Sir, could Mock for your country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The real insult is that this thread has more replies than any other discussion in the "strategy games" subdomain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stackenblochen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakal323 wrote:

The controversy has been over with for some time. There are so many games that put their Euro in their Ameritrash and vice versa nowadays that the designations are nearly meaningless.

A funny fact that will probably generate some angry responses is to point out that the game that is considered by some to be the classic "Euro" is an American game (Acquire), while the game that is often considered the classic "Ameritrash" is a French game (Risk).

This indicates that the confusion as to what to call each type of game is longstanding and deep-rooted.

I prefer the more all-encompassing (yet still not entirely accurate) term "modern boardgames" to differentiate games that we play at boardgame night from the roll and move style of games that many of us grew up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
jakal323 wrote:

The controversy has been over with for some time. There are so many games that put their Euro in their Ameritrash and vice versa nowadays that the designations are nearly meaningless.

A funny fact that will probably generate some angry responses is to point out that the game that is considered by some to be the classic "Euro" is and American game (Acquire), while the game that is often considered the classic "Ameritrash" is a French game (Risk).

This indicates that the confusion as to what to call each type of game is longstanding and deep-rooted.

I prefer the more all-encompassing (yet still not entirely accurate) term "modern boardgames" to differentiate games that we play at boardgame night from the roll and move style of games that many of us grew up with.

this kind of post doesn't make me angry. it makes me rotflmao. Amerigold anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unfun Fact:
Sorry, completely off topic ... but have you ever met Caylus sister?

Just mentionin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shaw
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Memcess gets my vote. I hate these games because invariably someone has memorized a master strategy and easily kills all the newbies. How can that be fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mountaintopdan wrote:
Yes, Memcess gets my vote. I hate these games because invariably someone has memorized a master strategy and easily kills all the newbies. How can that be fun?

Yes, it is much more fun to play LCR so everyone will have an equal chance to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:
Stackenblochen

I'm sorry, I would totally play Stackenblochen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
mountaintopdan wrote:

Yes, it is much more fun to play LCR so everyone will have an equal chance to win.

You think it's great now? Wait until they release Knizia's Re-themed LCR. The wood blocks are gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of off topic, but has anyone else noticed the hilarious tags attached to this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wankspielen? (My German's not too good -- is spielen the plural?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Soller
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krautsalad (German/English spelling variatrion is on purpose)

Sinkspiel (Spoof of "Thinkgame" just with the German accent)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazekas Tibor
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheep-ing games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rising wrote:

"You will name thiz game... Docents of Bulgaria"

And the publisher gasps in astonishment: "Yes! That is the most boring profession and the most boring country! It's brilliant!"

You have no idea...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we need instead is a complimentary term for 'Ameritrash'. By the way, what is Ameritrash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.