Donald X. Vaccarino» Forums » General Creator Forum

Subject: I am not on Facebook! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Someone is pretending to be me on Facebook! They have an account called "Donald Vacarino" and have friended a lot of game industry people.

It's not me! It's some evil person. I don't know how I stop this but now you people who see this game designer forum know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
This may help you: Chef Lenny Russo's blog about his encounters with a Facebook impostor. Mr. Russo, the real one, was recently nominated for a best mid-West chef James Beard Award and the impostor was trading on that reputation. His blog details the steps he had to take to get the person's account closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try to Report/Block the person (left column of profile about half a page down). How you prove to Facebook that you're the real DXV is another matter...

...I tried looking through fb's security page (http://www.facebook.com/help/?ref=drop#!/help/?topic=securit... ) but, interestingly, couldn't find a case which applied here.

Anyway, hope I was able to help somewhat. Dominion is definitely my most-played game ever and it's the least I could do to try to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm that guy then I'm immediately posting a status about how someone is impersonating him on Board Game Geek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the obvious solution is to be on Facebook, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that account on some friends of friends lists a couple days ago. It confused me why you didn't know how to spell your own name!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
dbuel wrote:
You know the obvious solution is to be on Facebook, right? :D

They have cleverly set up their system so that to complain about them, you have to be assimilated. You can't see the page without being a member. And you can't report an impersonation without linking to the real Facebook page. Because obv. anyone real would have a Facebook page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Coe
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
dbuel wrote:

They have cleverly set up their system so that to complain about them, you have to be assimilated. You can't see the page without being a member. And you can't report an impersonation without linking to the real Facebook page. Because obv. anyone real would have a Facebook page.

So now we're back to the "Is Donald a real person?" debate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I guess Facebook is part of real life now. Who are these friends of friends in the gaming industry, I wonder, who would be so careless as to befriend the impostor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Okay it turns out I do have a "real" facebook page also, which is to say, they just reprint wikipedia on facebook, and so there's that link. So if you feel like reporting this on facebook, where it asks for the real page being impersonated, you can link to that one: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Donald-X-Vaccarino/10620481275...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reported. The more reports the merrier, I'm guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Someone is pretending to be me on Facebook! They have an account called "Donald Vacarino" and have friended a lot of game industry people.

It's not me! It's some evil person. I don't know how I stop this but now you people who see this game designer forum know.

How do we know this is really you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
jttm wrote:

There are people here who have met me irl, including a couple admins, who can vouch for me. Then you would have to say "what if they aren't who they say they are either," but that path ends with you being a butterfly dreaming he's jttm, and I don't mind if that butterfly doubts my identity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jttm wrote:
donaldx wrote:

Click on his name and go read his posts. If this isn't the real one, I don't care, because he's better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Donald is a cylon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not on Facebook either.

Why would I? I get enough SPAM as it is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! You don't even exist! You're really Valerie Putnam. Take off that mask. Nice photoshop work on your avatar to make it look like you're a separate entity from her. The impostor is probably Dale Yu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:

Before joining here are some recent articles and discussions about how Facebook uses your private information.

This Week in Tech (TWIT) went on and on about some of the Facebook craziness in last weeks podcast:

http://twit.tv/248

According this Facebooks CEO the users are a bunch of "Dumb Fucks". At least when he first launched it:

http://www.businessinsider.com/well-these-new-zuckerberg-ims...

May 31st is quit a Facebook Day. I doubt it will have much affect since there are only 13,620 signed up and that is but a tiny fraction of the users:

http://www.quitfacebookday.com/

Recent Wall Street Journal Article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870491200457525...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Business Insider article cited above also links to an interesting feature which shows how to put a "Privacy Lockdown" on your Facebook settings.

It is I-N-V-O-L-V-E-D...

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lock-down-your-faceboo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazyyog wrote:
dbuel wrote:

Before joining here are some recent articles and discussions about how Facebook uses your private information.

Indeed. Don't tell them anything you don't want the whole world to see. Any privacy policy that's repeatedly changed without prior notification or consent is no privacy policy at all.

That said, the information you have to provide to establish an account is quite minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put 'Not on Facebook' in your BGG profile. Post this story to Board Game News. It won't matter then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chappelle
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe that is his real name.

Because, you know, it's not a crime to have the same real name as A FAMOUS PERSON. Not that I'm BITTER or anything. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I would have gotten away with it if wasn't for that darn Game Designer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.