$10.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Dominion: Stash Promo Card» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stash & Possession rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have access to the text of the Alchemy rulebook, but it seems to me that the possessing player gets to choose where the possessed player's Stashes go when shuffling during a possessed turn (including during the Cleanup Phase.)

That's pretty vicious. So how does one place the Stashes so as to minimize their usefulness? I suppose if it's late enough in the game, they all go to the bottom of the deck. Otherwise, try to space them out evenly? Hmm...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
Android: Netrunner
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thought. Obviously if you have thief in your hand you'd place two card 6 and 7. I think the best you could do is make them silver by shuffling them in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
david707 wrote:
Interesting thought. Obviously if you have thief in your hand you'd place two card 6 and 7


Keep in mind he'll draw 5 at the end of the turn you're running, then 5 again at the end of his turn. Now, if you're running thief or pirate ship you could still try to estimate where the top of his deck will be when it gets to you, but since you don't know what "draw card" and "cycle desk" cards he's going to get...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B.
msg tools
so maybe the worst place is to just force them to the bottom so they're out of circulation the longest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
Why would you buy Stash if your opponent has access to Possession?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
Why would you buy Stash if your opponent has access to Possession?


Because there could be worse cards? Ambassador & Masquerade come to mind. Tactician is also a risky buy because they could take your mega turn. Would you also shun Treasury, Alchemist, Herbalist and Island just because the Possessor just might mess with your deck?

What would you buy in a game consisting of:

Ambassador
Masquerade
Tactician
Treasury
Stash
Herbalist
Possession
Island
Alchemist
Vineyard
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
JonPrud wrote:
Why would you buy Stash if your opponent has access to Possession?


Because there could be worse cards? Ambassador & Masquerade come to mind. Tactician is also a risky buy because they could take your mega turn. Would you also shun Treasury, Alchemist, Herbalist and Island just because the Possessor just might mess with your deck?

What would you buy in a game consisting of:

Ambassador
Masquerade
Tactician
Treasury
Stash
Herbalist
Possession
Island
Alchemist
Vineyard


Depending on when in the game it was, I would probably a Silver or a Duchy for 5. I would not buy a card that advertises "Hey! I have money in my hand!" when the player on my right could exploit that fact.

Edit: To be a little more specific on my thinking in the setup you show.

It is difficult for me to imagine a case where I would buy Masq or Ambassador with Possession in play.

Tactician is also probably out because I would have had to give up a turn to play it, and then my opponent can take that turn for me. I might buy it but stop using it once my RHO has shuffled a Possession into their deck. On a 5-2 split, Tactician looks like an OK boot strapper here.

Treasury seems ok. My RHO could exploit the fact I have one or more in hand, but they cannot really screw me.

Stash, as I mentioned, I do not think I would play it here. Why let them know you have money? Why let them put your money on the bottom of your deck? I would probably buy a silver over Stash.

Herbalist seems harmless enough. It would be unpleasant if your RHO put a copper on top of your deck, but not catastrophic.

Island I might buy early. I would make it a point to play it ASAP if I thought RHO was going to buy Possession. I would not buy anymore after RHO bought it.

Alchemist would irritate me if my opponent used it and did not put it back on top of my deck. Again, not catastrophic.

I don't think I would buy Vinyards with this setup. Not enought good action chaining to think it would add up quickly. If I had an Herbalist in hand with a Potion, I might pick one up with the extra buy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
I would not buy a card that advertises "Hey! I have money in my hand!" when the player on my right could exploit that fact.


That seems like sort of a non-issue. It's not like he's going to decline to play his Possession when he can. It makes no real difference if he has a clue about what's in your hand, or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spaceknight wrote:
so maybe the worst place is to just force them to the bottom so they're out of circulation the longest.

Unless he has Pearl Diver.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.