Subject: First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart de Groot
Belgium
Vosselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had D-Day 91 in my collection for a while now, but not played it yet. I looked at it solitaire once with the basic rules but didn't bring it to conclusion. Now I found someone to try a game with. We included all the optional rules being worried the basic rules are too shallow to give this game any sort of depth. It was probably better to stick with them. Mainly I found the variable supply rule to be problematic with the victory conditions, and the replacement rule was not to my liking for this game.

I played the Allied player. There were some holes in the Axis defense in Normandy, so I went for a landing north at Dieppe and next to Cherbourg. With variable supply I got bogged down on the beach. I used strategic bombing, but rolled horribly for many months straight. The variable supply rule also meant that my units got concentrated in the armies – which took a lot of getting used to – and were not able to really use their full force. The Axis player, being pretty new to war games, had a passive defense, and spend most of his energy on replacements. Once I got enough Moves to do anything it was already too late. Got some good weather rolls, but I was too far from Germany to make the objectives in time.

I feel the variable supply rule is fun, but makes it too difficult to reach the objective, as the good weather months are wasted with few Moves. I would not recommend using this optional rule for this game.

In this game it is important to manage acceptable losses. With the replacement rule you can easily rebuild your best lost units. I would not recommend using this optional rule for this game.

With most of the Smithsonian games the optional rules add depth, realism, and interesting new strategies to otherwise pretty shallow basic games. With this game though I think the optional rules add realism, but ruin the balance of the game. This game was meant to be the basic game.

The game ended in a draw, with my Allied forces unable to get to Germany in time. The only trick I could think of was, to pound Essen and Hamburg in the last month/turn to capture those, and fly a tactical air unit into an open Munich. My opponent saw this though and placed a unit in Munich in turn 11. At this stage we left it at a draw, with the Axis having been unable to inflict a single casualty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd be interested in your thoughts if you get around to playing a basic game session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.