Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
130 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 

Family Games» Forums » General

Subject: This...is a family game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: language [+] censorship [+] site-design [+] cataloguing [+] scope [+] sociology [+] fuddleduddle [+] [View All]
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
That was not at all my intent. Please don't take it personally.

OK, fair enough, I believe you.
Quote:
The subject can be broken down into two parts (at least):

1) Whether there is a difference between what is appropriate for adults and what is appropriate for children.

2) Which specific things, such as the f-word, are inappropriate for children.

You may well disagree with me on #2, while agreeing with me on #1. That doesn't make one childish.

My statement was only that if you disagree on #1, then you are *probably* childish.

OK, but again, I don't recall anyone in the thread falling into category #1, so I still don't see the point of even bringing up the case of people who won't/can't/don't/fail_to/whatever think there is a difference between what is appropriate for adults and what is appropriate for children.

It just seems like a confusing red herring since it doesn't apply to any of the people in the thread. ... But perhaps I missed or don't remember some such post, as admittedly the thread is long and has been spread out over a rather long time, lying dormant and then springing back to life.

The only possible reason to bring it up which I can see is (unconsciously) making a semantic/logical confusion that "A person doesn't distinguish between adults and children about X" implies "A person doesn't distinguish between adults and children" (period). (Where "X" could be controversial like "aren't bothered by f-words in the presence of kids" or uncontroversial like "believing that eating well and exercising are good habits for adults and children".)

Cf.: "I eat pizza" indeed implies "I eat".
But "I don't eat pizza" does not similarly imply "I don't eat."

OK, sorry for the tangent, I'll shut up now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Ready for some football
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
That was not at all my intent. Please don't take it personally.

OK, fair enough, I believe you.
Quote:
The subject can be broken down into two parts (at least):

1) Whether there is a difference between what is appropriate for adults and what is appropriate for children.

2) Which specific things, such as the f-word, are inappropriate for children.

You may well disagree with me on #2, while agreeing with me on #1. That doesn't make one childish.

My statement was only that if you disagree on #1, then you are *probably* childish.

OK, but again, I don't recall anyone in the thread falling into category #1, so I still don't see the point of even bringing up the case of people who won't/can't/don't/fail_to/whatever think there is a difference between what is appropriate for adults and what is appropriate for children.

It just seems like a confusing red herring since it doesn't apply to any of the people in the thread. ... But perhaps I missed or don't remember some such post, as admittedly the thread is long and has been spread out over a rather long time, lying dormant and then springing back to life.

The only possible reason to bring it up which I can see is (unconsciously) making a semantic/logical confusion that "A person doesn't distinguish between adults and children about X" implies "A person doesn't distinguish between adults and children" (period). (Where "X" could be controversial like "aren't bothered by f-words in the presence of kids" or uncontroversial like "believing that eating well and exercising are good habits for adults and children".)

Cf.: "I eat pizza" indeed implies "I eat".
But "I don't eat pizza" does not similarly imply "I don't eat."

OK, sorry for the tangent, I'll shut up now.

Russ, read the early part of the thread, especially page 2. I think at the very least you can infer that some of the posters, well maybe only one, falls into category 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me, sin? Pf! Nah! Chill
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that's the case. And like I said, I may be misreading, but some people seem to have said that subject matter, theme, art, language used, etc., have or should have no bearing on whether a game is suitable for children, and that it's only about game mechanics.

To take that stance to it's logical conclusion, you'd have to say that Busen Memo is a family/children's game since its mechanic is nothing more than the very common children's game of concentration/memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm. Thanks for the pointer to page 2, but I'm still not seeing it - the early thread comments seem game-language-specific and very much category #2 to me. But it seems that I understood Phil to mean category #1 as a general statement (like I mentioned in my earlier comment's examples - i.e. not just about themes/language but people who don't distinguish adults and kids generally, not just in a context of theme/language suitability), and y'all mean it more as specifically about themes/language. So it's a semantic confusion circle, and I'm happy to just leave it at that instead of going round in further circles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Ready for some football
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
Hmm. Thanks for the pointer to page 2, but I'm still not seeing it - the early thread comments seem game-language-specific and very much category #2 to me. But it seems that I understood Phil to mean category #1 as a general statement (like I mentioned in my earlier comment's examples - i.e. not just about themes/language but people who don't distinguish adults and kids generally, not just in a context of theme/language suitability), and y'all mean it more as specifically about themes/language. So it's a semantic confusion circle, and I'm happy to just leave it at that instead of going round in further circles.

Fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Russell
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Bullshit!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Busen Memo is a family/children's game since its mechanic is nothing more than the very common children's game of concentration/memory.

Ha, funny enough about the only time in my life I could imagine enjoying this game would be from ages 6-16. Not to say that it should be a kids game just that I think that's who it would appeal to most.

Besides... what's wrong with kids looking at boobs? Is it better for my ten year old boy to play the Nazi's in some WW2 game or better for him to match breasts to one another? Or what about Monopoly, is running a capitalistic venture until you own everything and have crushed everyone really a skill we should be teaching our children?

Theme's in childrens games can be very contentious. You never know what's going to offend someone.

Not that I would consider having my child play any of these games, just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny. You say Busen Memo is 6-16. I think it's more like 12 or 13 up to, well, whenever a nerd-boy finally gets laid. :)

But, seriously, some things are just forbidden by most reasoning adults for purposes of their kids playtime. Some, but certainly not most, parents might think that playing a wargame depicting WWII is inappropriate. Most, but not quite all, will say that sitting around snickering at nekkid boobies is inappropriate. Hence, it would be best to have a poll pinpointing specific content alarms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I hope that's the case. And like I said, I may be misreading, but some people seem to have said that subject matter, theme, art, language used, etc., have or should have no bearing on whether a game is suitable for children, and that it's only about game mechanics.

To take that stance to it's logical conclusion, you'd have to say that Busen Memo is a family/children's game since its mechanic is nothing more than the very common children's game of concentration/memory.

Or Manara Game Which in the case of the rules that came with the copy I have (not the ones posted in the description), you play in teams where you are just trying to 'guess' which card your partner is thinking about. If you match you keep the pair. Those with the most pairs win and play out their favorite 'sex scene'.

So, I guess from a mechanics perspective this should be a family game. I little bit of matching and charades. What's more family then that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Russell
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Bullshit!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Some, but certainly not most, parents might think that playing a wargame depicting WWII is inappropriate. Most, but not quite all, will say that sitting around snickering at nekkid boobies is inappropriate.

I agreed with the poll earlier. It's the only solution that makes sense.

I do think it's funny though that

Nazi's = probably ok

Boob = probably not ok

WOW, I am one backwards dude and never even knew it.

Personally I find explaining the appeal of boobs to a child pretty easy whereas explianing the horrors of Nazi Germany to an adult is very difficult.

But I guess 10 years of co-ed showers and tree planting changed my views on nudity more then I realized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
But I guess 10 years of co-ed showers and tree planting changed my views on nudity more then I realized.
Yep. You're an outlier.

So, where can we go for these co-ed showers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Zawisza
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
JonJacob wrote:

I do think it's funny though that

Nazi's = probably ok

Boob = probably not ok

It's very funny, esp. when you think that most kids below the age of 12 will not even look at boobs, or just look elsewhere with no dirty thoughts - the hormones are not yet at work, and most kids are simply not interested at all in opposite gender. Yet many countries in the world (I'm looking at you, US) go to great length to protect kids from seeing nakedness, while at the same time letting all the blood and gore pass on TV. In Olympos thread the discussion quickly turned to someone being uncomfortable of comic art on cards showing naked siren. I would be more concerned with expalaining the idea of Gods punishing players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Lou Ann Barton: The Best! || The Dixie Hummingbirds: Thank You for One More Day || The Derek Trucks Band: Songlines
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castor Krieg wrote:
It's very funny, esp. when you think that most kids below the age of 12 will not even look at boobs, or just look elsewhere with no dirty thoughts - the hormones are not yet at work, and most kids are simply not interested at all in opposite gender.

Do you have some sort of data that supports that, or are you speaking based on your personal memories? I for one was strongly interested several years earlier, and many friends who were just as interested as I was. Tried not to get caught looking, true, but that's a very different thing from lack of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Zawisza
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
Do you have some sort of data that supports that, or are you speaking based on your personal memories? I for one was strongly interested several years earlier, and many friends who were just as interested as I was. Tried not to get caught looking, true, but that's a very different thing from lack of interest.

I don't have a specific quote, but there's a lot of research done on the subject. There is a difference between developing gender identity, and developing sexually. The former starts at the age of 2 or 3, the latter around the age of 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castor Krieg wrote:
Sphere wrote:

I don't have a specific quote, but there's a lot of research done on the subject. There is a difference between developing gender identity, and developing sexually. The former starts at the age of 2 or 3, the latter around the age of 12.
However, the issue here is not a stray boob or whatnot. That's moderately easy to explain away to a 6-10 year old. But explaining why a "family game" can have "F*ck You" and "Bitches" as purportedly acceptable band names is another thing altogether. Has nothing to do with Nazis or mammaries. Has to do with language and whether it's appropriate for families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Zawisza
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
Randy Cox wrote:
But explaining why a "family game" can have "F*ck You" and "Bitches" as purportedly acceptable band names is another thing altogether. Has nothing to do with Nazis or mammaries. Has to do with language and whether it's appropriate for families.

There is no such thing as "appropriate for families", it's all about people's sensibilities. If someone can explain nakedness, they can explain the names - just tell the kid it's an insult/curse/bad thing to say, that sometimes people will say. It's as easy as that. Not to mention the kid will probably hear it from his friends sooner or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Lou Ann Barton: The Best! || The Dixie Hummingbirds: Thank You for One More Day || The Derek Trucks Band: Songlines
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castor Krieg wrote:

Physical development isn't a prerequisite for heightened awareness and interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
However, the issue here is not a stray boob or whatnot. That's moderately easy to explain away to a 6-10 year old. But explaining why a "family game" can have "F*ck You" and "Bitches" as purportedly acceptable band names is another thing altogether. Has nothing to do with Nazis or mammaries. Has to do with language and whether it's appropriate for families.

I understand that. I'm not even sure why I clicked into this thread after all this time. I don't think there will ever be consensus on these issues; people vary too widely in their backgrounds and sensitivities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick historical note. Equating the German side of a WW2 game to Nazis is inaccurate. There were many Wehrmacht generals who fought for Germany, not the Nazis. A few of them even tried to assassinate Hitler...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
Just a quick historical note. Equating the German side of a WW2 game to Nazis is inaccurate. There were many Wehrmacht generals who fought for Germany, not the Nazis. A few of them even tried to assassinate Hitler...

Too bad "fighting for Germany" at that time meant fighting for the Nazi regime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
My point is that playing a German general in a game does not equate to espousing Nazi beliefs. It is twice removed; you are playing a game, and you a playing a Wehrmacht officer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point, however, is about assigning a game to the BGG-specific categories (known as "sub-domains"). In both cases, adult content and wargames, you wouldn't select "Family Game" as the best defining category. The wargame would go, I'm fairly confident, into the "Wargame" subdomain. It's a no-brainer. Nazis have nothing to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Pásti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If somebody lived in Germany and was drafted, it doesn't mean that he was nazi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dantes wrote:

Different discussion entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:
dantes wrote:

Indeed that should be in the Wargames forum (where it seems to appear regularly) instead of the Family Games forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Yaboo wrote:
dantes wrote:

Indeed that should be in the Wargames forum (where it seems to appear regularly) instead of the Family Games forum.

No it shouldn't.

I don't think anyone equates playing the WWII German side in a wargame to having Nazi sympathies, although I know some people who don't feel comfortable and won't do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.