Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the non digital version so I thought I would give this one a try. I liked the ability that I could play the game anywhere now. Even though there isn't online play or an AI to play against.

The first thing I noticed was that you can play with more than four players. Id strongly recommend buying the medicine development then.
There is also the solitaire play on it.

The late bronze age expansion is included in it also. Its nice to have the game go longer sometimes.

To play you first select roll, the rolled dice then appear on the screen. You tap on the dice you would like to save, then click roll again. It will tell you at the bottom of the screen if you are short on food. After you are done rolling you click the feed button.

If you had any food/worker dice it asks which one you would like. Then it shows the scorepad. If you have workers to place you can tap the spots you would like to place, each tap places one worker.If you make a mistake there is the unbuild button, then you tap to remove workers.

If at any time you want to see your pegboard there is a goods icon in the lower left of screen that can be clicked on.

The main screen shows you if you have coins available for development. In the development screen it shows your coins and how much you have combined with your available goods. If you click the blue arrow button next to a development you can get more details on it.

After doing everything you would click end turn and pass it on to the next player.

Another feature I liked was when you have Masonary, the rolled worker dies would show 4 workers on it. The same for agriculture, but as of writing this review there is a glitch with the food die, the picture shows 4 food even if agriculture isn't bought yet.

If you liked the game you will most likely like this app. Even if you haven't played it yet, for 4.99 I think it is a good deal and makes learning the game easy also. I now have a good game to play on my iPhone when I need to kill some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played some more and bought the agriculture development and it seems that with the development the food dice show the correct amount with the bonus while rolling but once you select the 3 food die, the image goes from showing 4 food to 3 food in your saved dice pool. You still get 4 food but with wrong image.

But if you have the masonary development, the 3 food die turns into a 4 food die when you save it. It still gives 3 food but has the wrong image.

This doesn't affect game play much, just need to keep track of it. Hopefully an update will come soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Reigner
United States
Belchertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought this yesterday as soon as I saw it posted. For the money it's a fantastic addition to my iTouch game library. Seeing that they included the Late Bronze Age expansion was a nice surprise. Anyone who is a fan of this game should get this one right away. It's a fantastic port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
England
Elegantly Wasted
flag msg tools
Alumini of Dogwarts University - Double First : Engineering for Dogs
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the heads-up on this. I've recently been given an itouch so I'll check this app out immediately

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now for a real pretty full featured PC version for those of us who are not part of the Apple i community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pics.......
Gorgeous graphics indeed. If there were AI opponents, I would bite.

BTW, the fact that food goes up to 16 instead of 15.... Does it really go up to 16, or just a visual bug (as in it'll really stop at 15)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What am I missing that at the end of the game to start a new game. The only thing I can do is keep hitting "Score" which takes you backwards through the rounds until you finally get "Back" to go to the menu to do a new game. Is it really that difficult?

However, the gameplay is great and it's very addicting to try to beat your previous high score, not to mention trying to get the single player "Achievements"! Ranks right up there with Money and Ingenious that I have bought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Larson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Back" button at the end of the game seems to show up occasionally if you go back and forth between the summary pages. The one way I can seem to force the "Back" button to appear is to exit the game and start it up again.

Fun game, mediocre implementation as it has a lot of similar interface issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think i found another glitch. When i have the quarry and get seven goods my stone advances by an extra space twice. So i end up getting the peg moved four spaces. I was under the impression that the bonus stone only happens once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keebie wrote:
I think i found another glitch. When i have the quarry and get seven goods my stone advances by an extra space twice. So i end up getting the peg moved four spaces. I was under the impression that the bonus stone only happens once.
AFAIK, that's the way it should work (what you said) in the base game and exp. When you get at least one stone, you get +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall I think this is a great app, but I do have a problem with the rulebook/instructions.

The instructions are really unhelpful for someone who doesn't already know this game -- which I assume would be most iPhone owners. So the ratings are really going to take a hammering once the game gets some notice outside of the boardgame community. Updated rules should be worked on PRONTO. All that currently exists is a "help" section that reads more like a glossary or almanac than a top-down introduction to the game. It's such an easy thing to fix, and will prevent a serious slam in ratings that will be coming up soon if it isn't corrected.

I'm no slouch when it comes to understanding rules, and I had to come to the BGG site for some rules research after about 10 minutes of trying to piece together the rules puzzle pieces presented in the "help" section. I'd venture to say this game was not play tested by someone who was totally unfamiliar with the game.

Anyway, that complaint/rant aside, I like what I see!

EDIT: By the way, after looking for a game rules download here on BGG and not finding it, I found this overview of the game from Scott Nicholson. I STRONGLY advise anyone who is unfamiliar with this game to watch this video before attempting to play this iPhone implementation. Fast forward to the 5:30 mark to get to the rules explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
keebie wrote:
AFAIK, that's the way it should work (what you said) in the base game and exp. When you get at least one stone, you get +1.

Yes but does that mean if my stone peg was suppose to advance twice due to seven goods, i advance the stone peg twice and then once for the +1 stone(for a total of 3), or do i advance my peg twice and then twice more for the +1 stone happening each time (for a total of 4)

according to the rules forum http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/492703/quarry i only get the bonus once a turn no matter how much my stone peg advances

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keebie wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
keebie wrote:

Yes but does that mean if my stone peg was suppose to advance twice due to seven goods, i advance the stone peg twice and then once for the +1 stone(for a total of 3), or do i advance my peg twice and then twice more for the +1 stone happening each time (for a total of 4)

according to the rules forum http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/492703/quarry i only get the bonus once a turn no matter how much my stone peg advances

The key words are "when you get at least one stone"...

so if you get 1 stone, you get +1 from Quarry.
If you get 5 stone, you still get +1 from Quarry.
etc.

You do need to get at least one stone though. Getting 0 stones gets you +0 from the Quarry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

etc.

You do need to get at least one stone though. Getting 0 stones gets you +0 from the Quarry.

Ok, but in the game right now on the iphone if i was to get 5 stone, it would also give me 5 bonus stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keebie wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

etc.

Ok, but in the game right now on the iphone if i was to get 5 stone, it would also give me 5 bonus stone.
And I was trying to convey that what you said was correct, while how the Iphone version implements it is INcorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
keebie wrote:

Yeah, the programmer got the rule wrong. Can't really do much about it, unless there is an available channel to file a bug report. Either way you'll have to wait for a new version with a fix to come out.

(And I think the most stone you can collect in a turn is 3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with its bugs, the game is beautiful and a lot of fun. I hope someone converts Ra: the Dice Game sometime soon. I think that one would be a lot easier to code and I find that it offers even more interesting decisions in a more intuitive package (thanks to the different dice colors and scoring mechanisms straight from Ra).

I played RTtA on the iPhone until I earned all the solo achievements, and it was a blast. I love the Late Bronze Age option, as that is a lot more interesting. The pass and play multiplayer is a bit cumbersome, though.

Here are the bugs and suggestions I noted for the developer:

I love the game, and think you did a wonderful job converting it for the iPhone.  I have played it a lot today and thought I would point out a few bugs, though:

1.  High Scores don't list my top score on the summary screen.  It shows my first game's score, but going deeper it shows that I have scored better since, so my #1 score is misreported.

2.  Extra grain from agriculture is reflected on the dice until they are locked, then the extra grain is not displayed.  Once the development giving an extra worker is researched, though, both the extra grain and extra worker are properly reflected on both locked and unlocked dice.

3.  Some solo achievements cannot be earned in the late bronze game (specifically the one about researching 8 developments) even though there is nothing in the achievement description so indicating.

4.  I once starved all 7 of my cities with no food at all, and was not penalized for it in my score.  There may be a coding error under certain circumstances when a player has no food at all.

5.  There are a number of minor typographical errors in the instructions and the descriptions of developments.

Suggestions for the future:

1.  The game would be amazing with AI computer opponent(s).

2.  Bluetooth and Internet multiplayer would also add a lot of value.

3.  Information about available and needed food could be summarized more effectively on the dice rolling screen.

4.  The game ought to remember a default peference for the Late Bronze age option (much better game).

5.  It would be nice if the game provided a default title for each game if the player doesn't enter one (such as "Game 5").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
16 food instead of 15 is my fault... I did the graphics, and the goods board was a late add on. (one I went ahead and designed before asking to have it put in.)

I just filled the space and didn't noticed until the other Ryan (programer) had already mapped the pegs to the 16.

I don't think it impacts much... if you have that much food, your hurting in the other places for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryno8 wrote:
16 food instead of 15 is my fault... I did the graphics, and the goods board was a late add on. (one I went ahead and designed before asking to have it put in.)

I just filled the space and didn't noticed until the other Ryan (programer) had already mapped the pegs to the 16.

I don't think it impacts much... if you have that much food, your hurting in the other places for sure.

Thanks for the reply about the food question.

Will there be an update to fix the quarry issue? and the image issue for the rolled/saved dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. How long it will take... im not sure...

We're also looking at providing it in German... So I get to tottally redo the title screens and the roll/feed icons... joy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
BGG.CON Est. 2005 BGG@SEA Est. 2015 BGG♥FAM Est. 2015
badge
RV6 Progress: Finishing canopy and fuselage.
mbmbmbmbmb
We really apreciate all the great feedback everyone! Sorry I haven't addressed each one individually bet rest assure it's all being listened too, and in many cases already fixed, waiting on the next update.

While the timing was fortunate hitting right after the SdJ nomination, it's unfortunate that I'm on a Hawaiian vacation with my wife and her family this week. In fact I'm typing this as we're driving down the beachfront in Kihei (Maui) - don't worry, my brother in law is doing the driving, not me, and yes I know you all feel for me in this horrible predicament.

Anyway, I hope to stay on top of it all better when I get back. In the meantime, enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Christianson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm working on updates right now. Should have all the bugs fixed and sent back to Apple by Friday- that is the plan atleast. I've already fixed the dice image problem and a couple others.

I'll fix the quarry problem tonight. For the record, that is the way my game group has always played it. So sad that our error made it into the game.

I believe the code doesn't let you have more than 15 food, so the image just needs to be updated to fix that issue.

We are working on updating the help docs. One thing we are debating is if we should hold up the release to add a tutorial? Thoughts? I'm thinking that little popup windows would popup telling you what todo next.

Thanks for all the feedback,

the other Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanch wrote:
I'm working on updates right now. Should have all the bugs fixed and sent back to Apple by Friday- that is the plan atleast. I've already fixed the dice image problem and a couple others.

I'll fix the quarry problem tonight. For the record, that is the way my game group has always played it. So sad that our error made it into the game.

I believe the code doesn't let you have more than 15 food, so the image just needs to be updated to fix that issue.

We are working on updating the help docs. One thing we are debating is if we should hold up the release to add a tutorial? Thoughts? I'm thinking that little popup windows would popup telling you what todo next.

Thanks for all the feedback,

the other Ryan

I haven't seen the game in play yet, but popup windows/reminders sounds like that'll work. When players become familiar, have an option to disable them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another rule I was surprised on how it was implemented was around the skulls. I was expecting that once you rolled one, the app would put that die aside automatically. Is it intended that we just do that manually (e.g. trust factor)? Or am I misinterpreting that whole mechanic of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conky wrote:
Another rule I was surprised on how it was implemented was around the skulls. I was expecting that once you rolled one, the app would put that die aside automatically. Is it intended that we just do that manually (e.g. trust factor)? Or am I misinterpreting that whole mechanic of the game?
If you're playing the solitaire mode, then keeping skulls to set aside is NOT mandatory. You may reroll them.

However, if you're playing 2 to 4 players (or theoretically more than 4), then you MUST set them aside and may NOT reroll them.... exception being you're using the Leadership power to reroll one die after you declare your rolling to be over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.