Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started work on my own build for Dune. There's tons of great builds out there but wanted to try my own spin on the game.

I started with OglBrutus' great design. I then created a new border and made various changes to his map including new mountains, icons, & text.

EDIT (Dec 5): Here's the final game components. I'm editing this entry so new viewers can see what the game looks like without having to scroll through several pages of replies.

EDIT (Dec 5): Here's some samples of the final cards printed by Artscow. I'm editing this entry so new viewers can see what the cards look like without having to scroll through several pages of replies.

EDIT (Sept 10, 2010): Files are now available. Click link to go directly to post with download info.
Re: Scott's Dune Build project

EDIT (Dec 28, 2010): Artscow Deck Art Links-

EDIT (Mar 13, 2011): Translation Files-

EDIT (June 24, 2011): I wrote a blog on the experiences I had making this graphic redesign-
Dune Graphic Redesign – What I worked on to relax during Fallout: New Vegas development
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking fab as always, Scott.

I like the simple design on the cards, makes the location really easy to see, which can be helpful particularly for the Atreides player, who might not want to preview the card too long, to falsely indicate that a worm is next, for example. I also like that some mis-cutting via Artscow will not likely be noticeable in that design, since there is a thick border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Looking fab as always, Scott.

I like the simple design on the cards, makes the location really easy to see, which can be helpful particularly for the Atreides player, who might not want to preview the card too long, to falsely indicate that a worm is next, for example. I also like that some mis-cutting via Artscow will not likely be noticeable in that design, since there is a thick border.

Thanks!

I wanted to keep it pretty simple and have the planet as big as possible. You are right about Artscow. I've had a few misaligned cards so this design should work well. I plan to have it black all the way to the edge.

The Treachery cards will have much more text on them. I'm going to see if I can put an image from the original cards on them. Will probably work on that design tomorrow night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the new card design makes it much easier to find the place on the map! Curse you Scott, another game I must build!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Gablovsky
Austria
Kittsee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Map looks great I would print it for my DIY Dune, but I already printed my slightly modified OglBrutus board (maybe you have seen it here on BGG.
Card looks good, it has modern feeling and clean design (for me maybe too clean). I have made my cards look more traditional
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I've started work on my own build for Dune. There's tons of great builds out there but wanted to try my own spin on the game.

I started with OglBrutus' great design. I then created a new border and made various changes to his map including new mountains, icons, & text.

Here's the current version:

I'm now working on card designs. Here's my first attempt at the Spice Cards. Does this work?

I'll keep working on it and post updates on this thread. Feel free to comment. I'd like to hear any feedback. Thanks!

This is great! Really... One thing I would do, is change the color of the brown figures around the map (on the card) to the same translucent white as in the map, to create a link between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the curved line under the "Broken Land" text going to indicate location on all of the cards? IE. Will it curve down over the map?

If so, I would simply have it curve under the "Broken Land" text. I would prefer the highlighted coloring as the sole indicator, but you're probably thinking of color blind players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Your map is gorgeous, as I already wrote.
The spice card is neat, don't change anything.

Too bad I already re-made (& translated) the map + cards deck cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We need an emoticon of a head pounding on the keyboard.

Every single time I think I'm about to DIY a new Dune... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I'm working on this still so don't have anything to post yet.

I'm making a fairly radical change to the board after trying to get the cards to match the style of the board. So now trying to change the board to match the cards. Not sure if you guys will like it but I'll probably post it tomorrow and see what you all think.

Sorry Rob! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Albares
Spain
Logroño
La Rioja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic version!! when will we be able to put our hands in your materials?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

ScottE wrote:
I'm making a fairly radical change to the board after trying to get the cards to match the style of the board.

please don't change the map, it looks great as it is.

In general the map and card looks really really good. Only the background color of the card (black) seems a little bit too much (too dark) for me. I would change it in something brighter, such the background of the board or something alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I'm working on this still so don't have anything to post yet.

I'm making a fairly radical change to the board after trying to get the cards to match the style of the board. So now trying to change the board to match the cards. Not sure if you guys will like it but I'll probably post it tomorrow and see what you all think.

Sorry Rob! cry

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys, I tried a radical change last night. This is a variant just to see what people think. I still have the last design saved so don't worry, I didn't overwrite the file!

I wanted to try a blue background to see if it would compete less with the board. And reworked the boxes to work better with the card design. I thought maybe the old map was too busy and all the reds/oranges in the background competed too much with the board.

What do you guys think of this?

EDIT: See below for updated version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Can't believe it but the current board is better than the first one...

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the changed background nebula, but kind of like the boxes from the original better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the clarity point of view I like the blue border.

But the 1st version had a better Dune-feeling, if you now what i mean.

Great work, by the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I like the changed background nebula, but kind of like the boxes from the original better.

I agree. I am also changing the name of my DIY Dune project to Dune 2012... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This design is much better. The contrast between field and background is much higher and I think this helps a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents :
- space background, counter & boxes layout : better
- tanks and bank background : not sure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marauder / media
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lydon wrote:
This design is much better. The contrast between field and background is much higher and I think this helps a lot!

LOL. My words exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the great comments! I'm glad this update works for most everyone. I did a test print on a high quality laser printer today and it does look much better. I find the only way to really know if something will work is to print it full size. The blue background works much better. It no longer competes with the map.

I know the new boxes aren't universally liked but after looking at it full size they also don't draw as much attention as the previous ones did. I want the map to be the focus and the previous ones were too distracting.

And check out this new update. To help make the new boxes look better I created 4 new big icons to go with each. Hope you like these icons. I'll probably use them on the card backs too.

EDIT (June 5): I've put the current version below. Deleted previous to cut down on clutter.

I will be releasing the files here on BGG once I get it finished. So please bear with me as I continue to work on it. Cards are the next priority, then the faction shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the spice ink must flow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Gablovsky
Austria
Kittsee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I will be releasing the files here on BGG once I get it finished. So please bear with me as I continue to work on it. Cards are the next priority, then the faction shields.

I'm really looking forward to your faction shield because they are missing from my printed DIY Dune and I couldn't find some I like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Albares
Spain
Logroño
La Rioja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to upload all your stufff for us to download your Dune version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [39] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.