Hide
7 Posts

Twilight Imperium (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How does this game play with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cliff Burton
msg tools
My friend and I are looking for a good 2 player strategy game that can be played with more (just to keep the option open), and we are really interested in the modular board mechanic and science fiction theme of Twilight Imperium. Problem is, TI3 isn't for 2 players and it's pretty expensive compared to TI2, which has 2 player rules out of the box.

I was just wondering how this game plays with 2 players. I know most people prefer TI3 but since I rarely can get more than one other person to play a complicated game like this, it wouldn't make much sense for me to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
TI2 is ok with 2 players, but it loses a lot; it's more of a direct confrontation wargame with 2 playrs, as you completely throw out the trade and political factors of the game. That being said, it still works OK, although sometimes it does lead to whoever pulls ahead first tends to win eventually, making it sometimes a long, slow, tedious battle to that point in some cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the idea I saw a while ago here on this site where someone played a 2-player game where every player had two races in two separate universes. One universe allows fighting the other does not. So you can learn both types of gaming: combat in one universe, diplomatics and so on in the other. And political cards affects both universes. Nice approach.

Otherwise it is really only about combat in a 2-player game and most races are not good for that (Xxcha for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david knoblock
United States
quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played a two player game with TI2. as what's been stated, it came down to who had the biggest fleet. both of us advanced one level per turn, so the game was over in a half hour. this is a game that is designed to be a multi-player game through and through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, even 3 player games (without any house rules) tend to have too many planets, so they may even end without combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Aye, even 3 player games (without any house rules) tend to have too many planets, so they may even end without combat.

That's easily solvable though - just use a smaller map than suggested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. But that might result in even unfairer maps. Although that could be resolved by chosing starting planets by random AFTER the creation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.