Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Thompson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had to tell you about a game I played with Grant using the vassal system. I played Caesar and had a great plan of attack. I would bring all of my units together in Genua and on the second card play move out so he wouldn’t have a clue what units I had in any location. It was a great plan.....and that is where it ended. I lost every battle in the first 2 years and had to work hard not to lose by the 10 victory point rule. Grant had 9 victory points the first 4 years when we counted vp’s. Grant had 7 vp’s on the last turn of the last card play and he decided to protect his position by attacking a army lead by Caesar who had just been cut down to 4 steps. If he killed Caesar he felt that it would be more than enough to win as he counted me with only 4 vp’s (3 vp cities and the Scipio block as my 4th vp!) and I had only a 2 movement card. I was going to have to attack his mega Elephant stack in Tarraco if I wanted to win. I decided to let it all ride on the Caesar Battle. I sent my two units to cover those 2 vp locations and we went to the battle field in Damascus. All I need to do was survive 1 round of combat and I could retreat into the empty Antioch space. (Antioch is worth 1 vp) He had 8 steps to roll on me after I rolled my units. I rolled Caesar and got 2 hits! My Antioch Cavalry missed. He had 6 steps to get 4 hits. He rolled and got 3 hits! Caesar retreated into Antioch to pick-up his 7th vp and tie Pompey. Since we both had 7 vp’s it went to the tie breaker of who owns Rome at the end of the game is the winner! I owned Rome!

On a personal note Grant probably would have easily won the game if we were playing on a real board. For those of you saying owning Rome is much easier for Caesar than Pompey....you are right but Pompey owned Rome at the start of our last year of game play.

I would really enjoy hearing more game stories after you play a game or two!

Thanks

Justin Thompson
Game Designer
kingmaker@prezcon.com
434-531-9191
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.