Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! I am a big fan of boardgames from Ottawa, Canada, and I will be in Helsinki from June 29th to July 8th. I would love to come out to any local game groups or events that might be happening during that time.

Thanks!

Mark Montreuil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Do you want to play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lautapelit is a boardgaming store in Helsinki (aptly named "Lautapelit" which is Finnish for.. well, boardgames) that I think sometimes holds events. Other than I know of nothing (I don't live in Helsinki myself) but hopefully some fellow geek here might help you out.

Welcome. Summer is the right time to visit Finland, that's for sure atleast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Inkiläinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finnish Boardgame Society has forum at http://www.lautapeliseura.fi/foorumi/ but unfortunately it is mostly in Finnish. There are local game groups at least in Leppävaara (Thursdays, i.e. July 1st, at 16-20) and Kamppi (Sundays, July 4th, at 13-17).

For Leppävaara group you can try to contact game group organizer:

Marko Tamminen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Kamppi game group plays at Bierhuis Rotterdam, Tennispalatsinaukio 4, in central Helsinki. I organize that group, but unfortunately won't be able to come that Sunday.

Welcome to one or both groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the quick, and very welcoming, reply!

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marcus,

welcome! If you need someone to show you around in Helsinki area, let me know. I'm on summer vacation at the time, so I should be able to arrange my schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Lorentin
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that a friend of mine is playing with a quite huge group of gamers every Sunday. I can ask him exactly how it works. They usually play in a library afaik.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPinkEyes wrote:
I know that a friend of mine is playing with a quite huge group of gamers every Sunday. I can ask him exactly how it works. They usually play in a library afaik.

That would most likely be the Kamppi game group that visard mentioned above. They usually play in the library, but in the summertime the group meets at the Rotterdam bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Lorentin
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilgore wrote:
MrPinkEyes wrote:

That would most likely be the Kamppi game group that visard mentioned above. They usually play in the library, but in the summertime the group meets at the Rotterdam bar.

True! To be honest I stopped reading after the Leppävaara part whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
visard wrote:
Finnish Boardgame Society has forum at http://www.lautapeliseura.fi/foorumi/ but unfortunately it is mostly in Finnish.

It may be a bit tricky to find the "Game groups' own areas" (Pelikerhojen omat alueet) in the "Metropolitan area" (Pääkaupunkiseutu), so here's the direct link: http://www.lautapeliseura.fi/foorumi/viewforum.php?f=76.

All game groups are really friendly. Don't hesitate to post in english in that forum.

Leppävaaran kirjasto (Leppävaara library) can be reached by local train (I think A) from the central railway station going to Espoo. Get off at Leppävaara/Alberga (swedish is the second official language). Meeting on thursdays (17h?).

Kirjasto 10 (library 10) is at the railway square, but as mentioned before, during summer time they meet at Rotterdam beer bar in Kamppi (big metro and bus terminal). Right opposit lautapelit.fi shop. Meeting Sundays 13h.

N-BGC has many regular foreigners, and use english genuinely in their forum. From Kamppi by bus nr 110 to bus stop Nihtisilta. Meeting Tuesdays 17:30h.

Sunnuntaipelaajat (sunday gamers) meet at Cafe Java next to Hakaniemi metro station. Meeting Sunday 14h. Unfortunately coincides with Kirjasto 10 meetings. However, Sunnuntaipelaajat are not always true to their name and sometimes meet of fridays or saturdays. Just ask, they might shuffle.

Viikin peli-illat (Viiki game nights) is a very small meeting held in a common room of the appartment building where Mauri, the organizer, lives. Going by metro to Itäkeskus, changing to bus line 510, get off at Viiki stop and walk some 500 m (ask Mauri for directions). Meeting mondays 17h.

It's really worth meeting the guys (and gals, for the BE speakers). I'm Austrian, but I'm in town periodically for work and always enjoy it. BTW: Also been to the Legion (Richmont & Roosevelt) once, great experience.

Some useful words:
Maanantai (ma) - monday
Tiistai (ti) - tuesday
Keskiviikoa (ke) - wednesday
Torstai (to) - thursday
Perjantai (pe) - friday
Lauantai (la) - saturday
Sunnuntai (su) - sunday

And the first words I've been taught, which help making friends immediately:
Terve - hi, hello
Kippis - cheers
Perkele - goddammit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all, very friendly and quick replies. We have arrived, and are staying in central Helsinki. I think I will try to get out to the Kampi group on Sunday afternoon. Beer and games is always a good combination!

Cheers,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I made it to the Kamppi group and had a great time, even if I did not win any games. Many thanks to the local players who were very kind to share their games with me in English.

Cheers!

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.