Subject: First play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Jackson
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Kings and Castles, unpunched, in a charity shop a few months ago, but had not made opportunity to play it until last night. My friend Adam and I decided it was finally time.

When playing with 2 players, each person takes control of 2 of the 4 factions, playing them separately but combining the scores at the end. This adds an extra dimension to the strategy, as it will be in your interest to make gains for one of the Baronial factions on your turn, it being essentially an ally.

At first we were pretty clueless as to how to pick our turns as king, so the turn order was almost random. I did however aim for kings with a higher bonus. In hindsight, looking at the countries they attack is probably the most important factor. Also, I thought it might be prudent to nab the very first turn (which I did, and was able to take London easily).

After a couple of turns we'd jointly fought all the rebels out of England, and it didn't take much longer for me to destroy Adam's troops to control the whole country between my own factions. Coupled with the lack of any way for rebels to form an uprising in England, I found myself in a solid position from which I gained an early lead.

With my effort focussed on keeping hold of England, Adam was able to gain more ground in Ireland and France, at one point having full control of both.

Another effect of the 2-player setup is that you can sometimes take territory with an opponent's faction knowing that their other faction will be attacking that area soon. In this way I was able to conquer Wales with one of Adam's factions, leaving him with the dilemma of having to re-conquer with his other faction, destroying his friendly troops in the process. As it turned out, he decided to simply not attack at all with his Royal troops, keeping them for his next turn with that faction, and retaining Wales as I had left it.

Eventually he got a foothold in England and reduced my territory there, although he never had quite enough might to press too far North. He did however take London, and managed to defend it against a recapture by myself.
I invaded France, and also used rebels to soften up his hold on the French hinterlands.

As the game drew to a close, England was fairly evenly split between us, France was a melting pot of barons and rebels, and Ireland, Scotland and Wales were mostly rebel-held.

The final tax counts were 242 to me, 218 to Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, thank you.

I have the game sitting on my shelf but wasn't sure if it was worth opening for 2 players only... it seems you had a good game of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jackson
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect this game's best with 4 players, but we certainly enjoyed it with 2 and I'd suggest you try it.
I'm quite looking forward to playing it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Graham-Leigh
United Kingdom
Westbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With two players, we count the score of each player's lower-scoring faction only. This seems to work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.