Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow Geeks,

I plan on having regular gaming nights with needy persons of all groups. Old, stroke survivors, poor and handicapped. Of the handicapped some have a wheelchair - which is obviously no problem in boardgames whatsoever - and two are blind. There are games for blind or visually impaired persons, but a) they are the "classics" like Chess, Pachisi, Chinese Checkers, Skat... only (but even a Monopoly) and b) they are anything but cheap. The Monopoly for the Blind is around 150 euros, a game of poker cards will easily set you back 40 euros.
I prefer the family games as I already have some, they can be bought very cheap used and they have some degree of luck which makes it more accessible for the inexperienced.

Anyone has successfully modified his Keltis or Catan or Carcassonne for the Blind? It could work with Cash n Guns but I am frankly not holding my breath regarding Carc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishFire Herself
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a textured version of Carcassonne wouldn't be too hard to make. If I were going to make it myself, I'd glom thin velcro lines onto tiles for "roads" and large swaths of velcro on for cities. The texture should make it easy to feel what's going on with the tiles.

Why velcro? Well, if people are going to feel up the board all game long, it would be nice to have something to keep the meeples anchored onto it.

Edit: I've thought about it some more. Any number of materials will work to give Carcassonne texture, but something translucent might be nice to keep the tiles aesthetic for seeing players. Instead of felt or velcro, then, you might put cellophane or clear tape over the cities and just a string, ribbon, glitter, felt, or anything you like over the roads. The roads aren't overly pretty anyway, so covering them up is no big deal. Then you can simply put stickies on meeples to keep them put while hands wander.

I think Carcassonne shouldn't be too much trouble to make playable!

It isn't as hard as you think to keep people from feeling for the tile they want, either--we just put face-down piles of them around the player area, and you grab the one you want from there rather than feeling through a bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Incan Gold works well for narrative and holding a stone in your hand or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan on Cash n Guns is to make one or two sets of the cards touchable, meaning putting small stickers on them to show which are the blanks, which the bang and which the bang bang bang cards. Then announcing the rest of the game moderator-style "There are these checks on the board that have to be split. Matt is pointing his gun at Mike, Pat at Paul and Amy at Amos." Not perfect but might work. Carc is a different beast. You need to see the gameboard to know where to put your tile in a legal way, better a scoring way. Keltis the card game: No idea. Top secret spies: Again no idea. Cash a catch: That might work as its a very loud game when played it in the right mood. Only the cards must be sort of marked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming with the Blind: a story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some blind persons have good enough memory that they can remember board positions and card holdings.

See also Modifying games for the blind

(The author of that article often played pickup football in high school -- he played quarterback for both teams, evening out the disadvantage.)

Oh! I just realized that the author of that article is BGG user braillegamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks indeed. And today I was telling the blind person that the board gaming hobby isnt accessible to him except for some staples like Monopoly Pachisi and Chess. I stand corrected and accept the donkey hat. And must think on how to modify my collection. Hm. Adel verpflichtet maybe? Keltis? Definitely Cash n Guns. I will keep You posted. First gaming evening is scheduled on 8th of July.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peeper has braile on each playing piece. Sadly no one trading or selling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
? ? Phart! The Dispersing gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

Very constructive post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games that could work:
Werewolf (though you may need a second mod to coordinate the werewolves)
Liar's Dice
Reiner Knizia's Decathlon

The article and geeklist on how to modify games were fascinating. Using glue to draw country borders for Risk is brilliant. Same goes for using a Braille typewriter to print Braille directly onto Tichu cards. I imagine the printing would work for Friday the 13th or Lost Cities, if such a typewriter were available.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if Tales of the Arabian Nights would work? You'd need to make some accommodations for the board, but the heart of the game is the goofy decisions. Unfortunately, no German version, so it would be out for the OP, just musing on my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the story telling games are maybe a good option. I was intially thinking of Once Upon a Time where you could add a brail lable to the cards. Running an advance search against the BGG mechanic "story telling" turned up lots of results,
[geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&advsearch=1&objecttype=boardgame&q=&include%5Bdesignerid%5D=&include%5Bpublisherid%5D=&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmin%5D=&range%5Byearpublished%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bminage%5D%5Bmax%5D=&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmin%5D=&floatrange%5Bavgrating%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bnumvoters%5D%5Bmin%5D=&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmin%5D=&floatrange%5Bavgweight%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bnumweights%5D%5Bmin%5D=&searchuser=aronbc&range%5Bminplayers%5D%5Bmax%5D=&range%5Bmaxplayers%5D%5Bmin%5D=&playerrangetype=normal&range%5Bplayingtime%5D%5Bmax%5D=&propertyids%5B%5D=2027&B1=Submit]maybe that will help?[/geekurl]

I'm trying to think what games from my collection that could be played with someone who was blind, and am drawing a blank. No punn intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many levels of blindness. I once played No Thanks! with someone who was legally blind, but could still make out the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe via Boas
mb
What about Battlestar Galactica? Really all you would have to change is the action cards, which would need to be physically marked with number and color. The actions (of both cards and spaces) are easy to memorize, and my group always reads aloud crisis cards anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Equal goes it loose - It starts soon.

On Wednesday = tomorrow our first session of preparing games will start.

On the menu: Keltis the card game, Cash and Guns, and then I am thinking about Stop Thief. Stop thief is a bit of a challenge as one needs to modify the board as well. And then the computer does give out only visual clues for the location. Bad design. Keltis is an easy one, only print the cards in Braille. Cash and Guns same thing. Stop thief... maybe teams with one being able to read the computer.

What do the other Geeks think of my assortment of games. Possible/easy/hard to modify?

- Scotland Yard? My take: Impossible or very difficult
- Hoity Toity? Possible but not easy.
- Cash a Catch? Extremely difficult.
- Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective?
- Top Secret Spies?
- Um Reifenbreite?
- Carcassonne?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto
Age of Empires
Le Havre
Ra
Can't Stop

and so on...

Pretty much any game without hidden cards (in hand) or a map (Age of Empires has a map, but it's not important where on the map you are - the information does need to be shared by a non-blind player though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raúl Lopezosa
Spain
Almendralejo
Badajoz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For blinds: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39072/kokorin-kastel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe have a look at Ochs & Esel.
You only have to modify the cards so blind persons can feel the card values and some way to differentiate the Ox and the Donkey.

Players would have to loudly announce what they are playing, but appart from that, I think this game would suit for handicapped people.

Edit: And what about the LEGO games? As LEGO not onyl comes in different colors but also different shapes I could imagine modifying the LEGO games to be playable by blind people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Germany
Pforzheim
Baden- Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the Fact, that I worked 3 Years with Blinds in a cooperative Shool I have a pretty good experience with Blinds and visually disabled (I have one in my Gaming Group). The Problem is, that is quet hard to make a general Statement especially for visually disabled or handicaped people, cause it depends on their handicap how bad/god they still see. The guy in my gaming group can't read anything with small letters (Agricola Cards, War of the Ring Cards, Pillars of the Earth Cards) in fact no Cards, this forced me to copy the Texts and print them out in a larger size had to put numbers on the Cards in large letters, so he can find the number of the card on his list and its text as well.

The Boards and frontiers and streets and things like that are no problem for him, sometimes he has to stand up and look a more exact on the graphics. Thats the only problem he has.

So if you have people in your grooup with worth sight, it could be more problematic.

for Blinds i think, it's not that expensive as you think, most of them own a "Brailltypewriter" "Brailleschreibmaschine" there you can put on a normal Card and write for example 7 peak on it. This schouldn't be a problem. And a deck of cards can be bought for 3 or less Euro.

As well a Chess Board can be prepared by yourself. you can glue different things on them or something like that. And via the Numbers and letters of the board, you can move the figures instead of them.

Now think about more common Games.

Carcassonne, pretty hard to do something like that playable for Blinds. The Problem is, that it is a must for a player to look at the tiles and find out which position is the best for his drawn tile. This makes it necessary for the blind to be able to "look" at the Tiles. So he must feel the tiles with his fingers "tactile" This means you have to make every single tile tactile Probably like the 3D Version that you can see here at the geek. (not that complicated and Complex) That would make it possible, BUT this means that a Game of Carcassonne would take more than half an Hour cause the Blind Player must touch every single Tile !!!!

But think about Games where it isn't absolutely necessarry to see whats going on, where it's enough to hear it.

Pillars of the Earth or Stone Age or Kingsburg for Example.

You only have to know where you can place your Buiolders or Workers, and you only have to know where the other Gamers placed them. They have to say it loudly where they place them, Cards must be red loudly as well. And the ones which have to be private have to be tiped via Braille.

That means a lot of work for you, but every Game is playable no matter if the Gamer is Blind or not.

You only have to decide which game is more Playable than the other in dependence of the preparations you have to do, to make it playable.

Hope I was able to help you, If you have questions, please write me a pn. My German is much better than my English. And probably I can tell you a bit more.

Suryoyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I wasnt clearly enough before. Starting point is my gaming collection. There are no fnds available to buy new games. But thx a lot to everybodies comments. Its a pleasure to see so many helping hands here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
Sorry if I wasnt clearly enough before. Starting point is my gaming collection. There are no fnds available to buy new games. But thx a lot to everybodies comments. Its a pleasure to see so many helping hands here.

Auf Achse maybe? I don't know it, so... cry

But you simply have too few games - and some kid's games too - get more games steal them if you have to!

Or better yet, get these needy people to chip in and voila, you can get some of the game myself or Suryoyo recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated my games list... maybe there is something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today evening we modified the first game. A blind woman and myself worked on Cash and Guns. Tools: A braille typewriter, special clear adhesive foil for the typewriter and scissors. We wrote the money denominations (5.000, 10.000, 20.000) for each cardboard money marker. Then the names of 5 of the "bad guys/gals" - one gal only in this game, the rest are men. And for the action cards a c for click, b for bang and bbb for bang-bang-bang. Then glued the braille foil on the cards/markers. Time needed was 2,5 hours for 2 persons. Would have been shorter if we hadnt wasted the first foil. We were happily writing along and only realized too late that the foil was the wrong way round in the typewriter. Well, it was our first try.

Next we do plan on modifying Keltis the card game. And Reversi/Othello. I got a travel Reversi in our local version of the Goodwill store. As travel version the board is sculpted plastic, which makes feeling the game board possible. Only modification needed is putting something on one side of the game tokens. Maybe You have some good suggestions for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
Xeenu wrote:

Auf Achse maybe? I don't know it, so... :cry:

But you simply have too few games - and some kid's games too - get more games steal them if you have to! :p

Or better yet, get these needy people to chip in and voila, you can get some of the game myself or Suryoyo recommended!

My mother always tells me I have way too many games! Dont tell her she does know only about half of the collection...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next two projects are to be planned as Zooloretto and Keltis the card game. Perkins school for the blind (they make the famous Perkins Brailler) has a slate for standard sized playing cards but sdly doesnt ship it to Germany. We might try a normal slate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.