Hide
10 Posts

Citadels: The Dark City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you hide your money and cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Oldak
msg tools
The title says it all. Playing with a guy who keeps everything in his pockets except his buildings. Says there's no rule against it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I never saw anybody playing it this way.

And, to me, it's just dumb to do so... there's already secrecy enough on the secret role selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
trevdak wrote:
The title says it all. Playing with a guy who keeps everything in his pockets except his buildings. Says there's no rule against it

My #1 rule is don't play games with asshats. It makes things much more pleasant, and avoids silliness like this.

Quote:
also, is there a rule against punching people in the face?

There is not. And you might want to point that out. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Online implmenentations always have the # of cards in hand + gold as open info. It seems the only way to settle this is to insist that this stuff should be public, and do so before the game starts.

If nothing else, some gamers would object simply on the basis that putting cards into pockets make them more likely to get bent. Sure, the game is relatively cheap, but it's still something that you need to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be interesting to hear his explanation of why it is necessary for him to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, there's no rules saying you can't steal gold from the treasury or switch districts from your hand or punch your friend in the face when they assassinate you.

I call shinanigans on your friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
It could be interesting to hear his explanation of why it is necessary for him to do that.

so that people won't know when they should use thief/magician on him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob A.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The thief card would probably be a little less affected thanks to the "chance" component of calling people out in advance of knowing their roles for sure, but the magician card would be rendered useless by this approach. But in essence I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spira
United States
New york city
New York
flag msg tools
"It could be interesting to hear his explanation of why it is necessary for him to do that."

there are people who simply feel they MUST win a game.

anyway, this person could argue that any player is capable of telling how many cards he has. Since you can see how many times he picked drawing cards, and how many times he built something, and how many times he picked the magician.

it's still dumb, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's implied in the rules:

Gold Counters
These represent the gold needed to build district
cards. They should be placed on the table in a
central Bank at the beginning of the game.

It's implied because all gold starts on the table. It does not say when you receive 2 gold as part of your turn to "remove it from the table and hide it". It says

"Take two gold from the bank"

If he doesn't buy it, then I'd go with others here:

Punch him in the face.

Gawd, I hate gamers like that. Investigate his past. Probably has missing children wherever he has lived...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.