Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Wells Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
W Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do people use opportunity cards?

For a long time I have used them as a move to space, so a Farming Opportunity near Park Bench took you past the Salary square. I didn't go as far as allowing people to play cards and not enter a career, this would clearly be cheating?!
The other obvious interpretation is you move directly across the board paying not attention to any spaces you are near or 'pass'. Again you could maybe argue that you could use them and not partake in the career, (The obvious exception for this is Vacation which you could legally leave next turn anyway.)

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 2003 version. Rules are fuzzy, but I do recall that if you use an Opp card, you MUST enter that career path/loop.

For me, the reasons to use Opp cards include:
1) guarantee-ing that you'll be able to enter a career path/loop. There's always Experience cards to help you out, but this way, you can get there quicker, and save the Exp cards for later where Opp. cards won't be able to mitigate luck on rolling

2) get in a career loop for free. Few of them do say 'all expenses paid'.

3) pass start to collect an easy hit of salary

4) bump people. Someone getting into teaching to collect what you suspect is more happiness points FTW? Play your Opp card that takes you to teaching. Then you can either bump him, or force a deal such that you can slow him down if he wants to stay there.

5) avoid being bumped. If someone is trailing you on the board, Opp card lets you "teleport" safely far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Older (1957 rules) are very clear. You MUST enter if you use an opportunity card to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use a college opportunity card to move to college if you have already gone through and then roll the dice because you are a graduate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Can you use a college opportunity card to move to college if you have already gone through and then roll the dice because you are a graduate?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.