Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to this game later in life. I was in my early 30s when I first played Careers. That was in around 1993, give or take a couple of years. I played it a handful of times and thought "How did I miss this one when I was a kid? It's got all the elements of modern games that I like."

And that was it. A few games and out.

But last night, my wife and I broke it out to play as a 2-player affair. The first thing I noticed was that I didn't recall some of the rules (doctor getting everyone's hospital money? trading and selling favors to one another [cards]? bumping folks to unemployment?). It's quite likely that I learned those rules nearly two decades ago, but I just didn't remember them. On the other hand, it's possible that I was playing a different edition back then.

Anyway, I read the rules (1971 copyright) and we commenced to play, with a formula value of 100 (as is noted in the rule book for 2-player games). My wife went with 20 fame, $30,000, and 50 happiness. I, based on what I learned in my plays when Clinton was first elected, went heavily into fame (54). Now, I made a bonehead move and was thinking about my salary and not my total cash on hand, so I set my money formula at only $16,000, with the remainder (30) to happiness.

It started out great. I landed on college and got my law degree while my wife went the do-gooder route of Ecology. I then washed out on my first attempt in the sports world and ended up unemployed while my wife struggled through Big Business and now had three experience cards to my none.

I entered Politics and tried Sports again in quick succession and was flush with money. In fact, another Senate term and I had goo-gobs while my wife was struggling to make ends meet without her college education. She did get a lot of well-rounded experience (and a ton of those vital experience cards) by conquering every job except space.

Then I made a blunder. To bolster my image with the left flank of my party, I went into an ill-fated stint in the Ecology realm. I tossed a piece of trash out my car window and it cost me over $21,000. Then inflation set in and I lost another $5K+. It was a woeful time. Meanwhile, my wife got her belated college degree to raise her salary and was cruising toward victory, needing only to accumulate a tiny bit of happiness and some minor cash.

However, after my third term in the Senate, I had rebuilt a fraction of my prior wealth and accrued more fame than anyone could imagine. So all I needed was one more payday and some lovin'. Isn't retirement (going to Hawaii at will) grand? I built up some happiness there and then entered a well-choreographed stint in the Space program (think John Glenn in the space shuttle when he was a geezer). With plenty of experience to avoid the nasty pitfalls that young astronauts encounter, I gained all I needed to secure victory (by a scant $700) one turn before my wife would have reached her goals.

The game clocked in at just over an hour and my wife was only 2 hearts shy of her goal when it ended. I believe a rematch is in order soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
It's got all the elements of modern games that I like."

Yes. Compared to a modern Euro, it has too much roll and move, but it is a game full of meaningful choices.

Randy Cox wrote:
On the other hand, it's possible that I was playing a different edition back then.

The 1955, 1965, and 1971 rules are all the same. The game was dumbed down in the 1979 release, but I don't know which rules were different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The board changed, so, yep, some of the spaces were different.

I think the strategy is to go after Happiness. Fame's supposed to be the most difficult to acquire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to win more often than not with 60 stars (Fame) as my goal. This was with the 1971 edition of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about fame. It seems to be a dime a dozen and as long as you avoid a couple of spots (in politics and space), it's tough to have fleeting fame.

Happiness always seemed the most difficult to me, but now I'm thinking it's cash, because the game is designed to make you lose money you don't spend quickly.

We play to 100 and I think that 70 or 75 fame might be the way to go. At least 60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.