Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
943 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [38] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: BoardGameGeek for Android App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Android-App-BGG [+] geektool [+] android [+] app [+] BGG_Geek_Tools [+] [View All]
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
Image is from Turandot. It looks just like me.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long time coming, but we've finally released an update to the unofficial BoardGameGeek.com app for Android. There are too many changes here to name, but the main feature is the local database that stores every game you look up. You can even access this list from the Quick Search Box. Unfortunately, it requires Android 1.6, but we hope to relax this requirement soon.

Coming in the near future is the ability to log plays, sync your collection, subdomain rankings, and...

Please leave any feedback - bug reports, feature requests, criticisms - here or on the Google Code site.

The Google Code site for the project (with complete release notes) is http://code.google.com/p/boardgamegeek/. You can find it in the Android Market at https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boardgamegeek, or http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.boardgamegeek, http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-boardgamegee..., or http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.boardgamegeek/.

This has been a labor of love for
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and me. I hope you enjoy it.

Here are some shots of the app in action:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to this geeklist: Software Tools for Board Games, RPG's and BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using this app since recently buying an Android OS phone, and it's very good, and importantly reliable. On my previous phone I'd been checking game into via the website (or more regularly miniBGG for quicker results).

Thanks for making the app, and I'm looking forward to checking out the new features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a HTC Desire for one week now, and just today I decided that I need to look for something to browse BGG. Guess which thread I stumbled over

If the app can do plays, I'm all happy.

Related question: the browser on the HTC does not really like the CSS and scripts on BGG. Any suggestions for an replacement here (until the App can do everything )?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work indeed

When I had this one installed, it unfortunately didn't last long though, for a couple of reasons I ended up preferring the browser version after all. These reasons, for me, were:

* No recording of plays
* No forums
* No files
* No subscriptions

Don't get me wrong, the app is absolutely awesome, but if I have to go to the website anyway I don't get much added benefit out of the space that I have to give from my precious app memory...

Either way, great initiative, great usability, and I'm really looking forward to more features
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont seem to find it in the android market.

When searching for "BGG" or "bgg or "boardgamegeek" or "board game geek", all I get as result is the app "BGG Mobile" from Skylupus.

Is this because I have a HTC Magic with Android 1.5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go Take A Hike
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Where's the beef?!
badge
I don't think anybody's back there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded.

I've been using the Skylupus BGG Mobile for awhile now but I'm glad to see there's some competition. I look forward to features that let me integrate my collection, wishlist, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
I dont seem to find it in the android market. ... Is this because I have a HTC Magic with Android 1.5?

Yes, I think this is the problem. To allow desktop searching, I had to require Android 1.6. Reports show there's still more than 20% of devices on 1.5, so you're not alone. Google has published some articles very recently on making apps support various versions of Android while still maintaining new functionality. I'll add this as a feature request near the top of the list. It will then move up or down on the list depending on the complexity of implementing this. Sorry to disappoint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
Sorry to disappoint!

No sweat, I'll just be patient!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The XML API that the application uses is undergoing some changes right now. The good news is that this will allow it to show more data, and possibly new features that would have been difficult before. The bad news is that a recent change broke the ability to view a game. I was planning on getting version 2.4 released this week so things might line up perfectly. With any luck you'll see an update for the app available with the fix and the ability to log plays. Thanks as always for your patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
The XML API that the application uses is undergoing some changes right now. The good news is that this will allow it to show more data, and possibly new features that would have been difficult before. The bad news is that a recent change broke the ability to view a game. I was planning on getting version 2.4 released this week so things might line up perfectly. With any luck you'll see an update for the app available with the fix and the ability to log plays. Thanks as always for your patience.

The app has been fixed and updated. It will appear in the market soon. As always, please give us any and all feedback, good and bad. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the App does not show up in my Market (it does in a friend's market...). Seems to differ between phone models/providers.

Could you post here the barcode for it?
Would be very convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sternenfahrer-MUC wrote:
Unfortunately, the App does not show up in my Market (it does in a friend's market...). Seems to differ between phone models/providers.

Could you post here the barcode for it?
Would be very convenient.

It does require Android 1.6 or higher. Other than that, there should be no restrictions. You can try to download it from here: http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.boardgamegeek. There should be a QR Code for you to scan.

I thought about making it work on 1.5 devices since there are still quite a few, but by the time I get around to it, it may not make any sense. It's still on my backlog however. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Release 3.0 is now available on the market. The look and feel has been overhauled. It now looks more like BGG on the web as well as a more modern Android app. We've also added the ability to sync your collection to the phone. You can even choose which part of your collection to include. A special thanks to
Leif Norcott
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
for his help on this project.

Feedback is always welcome, so let us have it! Thanks for downloading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
St Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Stats tab for a game, the parts of the horizontal bars that aren't filled in are too dark to read the black text on top of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've installed this app, works well on SGS2 (android 2.3). It is simple to use though I mainly use it to log plays, so it can seem a task to search for a game, wait a while, and then go menu > log play.

I wonder if there was an ability when logging plays to tweet it too. I used to tweet games played rather than mess around coming into BGG, but this app now allows me to log plays direct from my phone. the problem is now its an additional action to the tweet or I don't bother with the tweet.

Will the ability to edit (mostly add) to your collection. I can look up games whilst stood in the games shop, but it would then be nice to add any I buy to my collection rather than having to remember to do it when home or go onto the web browser.

How about ability to view plays or games played? Often if I'm at a club or round at a friends I can add the play of a game I don't own by searching for it first, but if its a game I play regularly but don't own (because I'm regularly playing the game with the game owner) then it is frustrating having to do the search each time. Maybe if viewing games played is too much, maybe a "favourites" list so you can list those games you are currently playing often, or an option to remember recent played games so they come up faster in searches.

Finally if you are adding features will you consider allowing some customisation of the screen shortcuts? So under settings you could change the default shortcut1=collection, shortcut2=GeekBuddies to what aspects you use most.

Hope you don't mind the comments, it is a good app as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish the search button was bigger. When I use the app, 99% of the time the first thing I do is hit the search button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
expansion whore
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
I wish the search button was bigger. When I use the app, 99% of the time the first thing I do is hit the search button.

why not just use your phone's hardware search button?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
clawster wrote:
Phrim wrote:

why not just use your phone's hardware search button?
Not all phones have a hardware search button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:

The main reason we moved the search button to the title bar was to conform with Android's emerging UX standards. This also means that search is available wherever you are in the app, not just from the first screen. We certainly have the option of adding it back to the first screen, but we have other features slated to be added soon.

It's hard to predict everyone's use cases, so I've been basically doing whatever I felt was the best. I certainly appreciate the input, so keep them coming. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
On the Stats tab for a game, the parts of the horizontal bars that aren't filled in are too dark to read the black text on top of them.

This will be addressed in version 3.1. Coming soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thanks for taking the time to provide detailed feedback. It's much appreciated!

nicch wrote:
I've installed this app, works well on SGS2 (android 2.3). It is simple to use though I mainly use it to log plays, so it can seem a task to search for a game, wait a while, and then go menu > log play.

I wonder if there was an ability when logging plays to tweet it too. I used to tweet games played rather than mess around coming into BGG, but this app now allows me to log plays direct from my phone. the problem is now its an additional action to the tweet or I don't bother with the tweet.

I haven't looked into this technically, but I'm worried about how to authenticate against Twitter. Not that it's not possible, just I'm not sure about the bang-for-the-buck. Now that I know at least one user would like this, and can at least add it to the list of things to look at.

nicch wrote:
Will the ability to edit (mostly add) to your collection. I can look up games whilst stood in the games shop, but it would then be nice to add any I buy to my collection rather than having to remember to do it when home or go onto the web browser.

This is high on my list of features. Editing should be straight-forward, and hopefully adding won't be too hard. The API just added something I needed to make this easy, so now I just have to find the time to implement it.

nicch wrote:
How about ability to view plays or games played? Often if I'm at a club or round at a friends I can add the play of a game I don't own by searching for it first, but if its a game I play regularly but don't own (because I'm regularly playing the game with the game owner) then it is frustrating having to do the search each time. Maybe if viewing games played is too much, maybe a "favourites" list so you can list those games you are currently playing often, or an option to remember recent played games so they come up faster in searches.

Yep, syncing games played is another feature high on the list. I've also considered favorites before, but thought it might be easier to mark it as "Want to Play" in BGG and sync that to your phone. Implementing a favorite feature should be pretty straightforward. I'll add it to the list (it's getting long now!).

nicch wrote:
Finally if you are adding features will you consider allowing some customisation of the screen shortcuts? So under settings you could change the default shortcut1=collection, shortcut2=GeekBuddies to what aspects you use most.

That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of. We don't really have enough shortcuts right now to warrant this feature, but hopefully that will change in the near future.

nicch wrote:
Hope you don't mind the comments, it is a good app as is.

Again, I really appreciate the comments and I hope we can get some of these features in soon.

In case you want to weigh in on them here are the other high priority features on the list:
- The Hotness
- Filtering your collection by player number, category, etc.
- Adding players to logged games
- Forum browsing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I try to sync my collection (either over 3G or a WiFi connection) I get an error: "Problem reading remote response for GET http://www.boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi/user/rynelf?own=1 HTTP/1.1: java.net.SocketTimeoutException"

Any chance of extending that timeout?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:

In case you want to weigh in on them here are the other high priority features on the list:
- The Hotness
- Filtering your collection by player number, category, etc.
- Adding players to logged games
- Forum browsing

Adding players to logged games sounds good. I know a friend with Andoid who does this, but I guess that must he must have "the other BGG app" whistle

On a related note/problem. My Geekbuddies seems to stay empty even after sync (yes geekbuddies is enabled). No idea why though??

I use a web browser for forum browsing, so you could do it via a url link unless people really want to do within the app (sounds strange if people have a browser of choice)

Hotness and Filtering - are you envisioning people to be able to browse games as an addition to searching by name, so they can see what's hot or look for certain types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [38] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.